FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Is olive oil good for you ? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5830-olive-oil-good-you.html)

baieuehg 11-28-2011 05:09 PM

Is olive oil good for you ?

Does eating olive oil have any health benefits.

I'm a little overweight and need to lose a few pounds. I like butter with my bread in the morning and am thinking of switching to olive oil.

I'm aware that olive oil is much better than butter but is the benefit from switchng from butter.Or does olive oil have properties which improves health?

Lisssssa 11-29-2011 01:08 AM

Benefits/"risk"

Olive oil is generally better for you, versus butter and other dairy products. It's been shown to help with cholesterol balance (dec LDL and inc HDL), and decrease risk of cardiovascular disease. It contains a lot of antioxidants and contains the "good" fats (also it is considered an anti-inflammatory food, I think).

One thing to be careful of is calories. It's much easier to eat a bigger serving size with olive oil than with butter, since you're dipping it, soaking it, etc. You can easily double your calories with the switch. So I'd say measure out your olive oil and make sure you're not increasing your calories... in general, keeping your calories constant, I'd say it is a much healthier choice. (Dairy is just generally not that great for you).

Another option is a dairy-free spread like Earth Balance, which is made from oils and has shown similar cardiovascular benefits.

tandoorichicken 11-30-2011 08:48 AM

If you're a "little" overweight switching from butter to olive oil, calorie for calorie, isn't going to make a more than negligible difference. In the amount required for bread spread or even dipping, the difference is less than a few dozen calories difference between monounsaturated and saturated fat.

If you're switching because of a taste preference, though, then by all means go for it.

Rubystars 12-03-2011 03:05 PM

Weight is all about calories. Just find out what you should be eating to maintain your goal weight and eat that or a little less than that.

Meggietye 12-16-2011 03:56 AM

I don't eat spreads as a habit, but as a treat. A tasty way to enjoy olive oil is on toast with oregano sprinkled on top...delicious!! Make sure you buy a fresh package of oregano so the oils in it are flavorful..ok..now I want some...hahaha

VitoVino 12-16-2011 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Meggietye (Post 65138)
I don't eat spreads as a habit, but as a treat. A tasty way to enjoy olive oil is on toast with oregano sprinkled on top...delicious!! Make sure you buy a fresh package of oregano so the oils in it are flavorful..ok..now I want some...hahaha

Great tip! I never thought about this. I've dipped regular italian bread in olive oil before, and it's awesome of course, but since I gave up white bread I never looked back on a substitute. I'm going to try some olive oil on top of some toasted Arnold multigrain, and sprinkle some Braggs Organic Sprinkle on top. My mouth is watering just thinking about this treat. :)

aranki 12-18-2011 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by baieuehg (Post 63694)
Does eating olive oil have any health benefits.

Good question to Google.:)

VitoVino 12-19-2011 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by aranki (Post 65360)
Good question to Google.:)

I've found Google to be a very good friend of mine. ;)

Massin 01-30-2012 04:47 PM

No doubt that olive oil is good for everyone. It has lot of benefits. I use it daily. I suggest everyone to use it without any fear.

01gt4.6 01-30-2012 05:01 PM

Where's the hawkeye?

Ilovegreg05! 02-05-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lisssssa (Post 63719)
Olive oil is generally better for you, versus butter and other dairy products..

Why would dairy be bad unless you had a tolerance?

VitoVino 02-05-2012 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovegreg05! (Post 71812)
Why would dairy be bad unless you had a tolerance?

Dairy has saturated fat, versus the high percentage of mono and poly fats (which are good) found in olive oil.

Meggietye 03-03-2012 08:04 AM

Dr Oz says 1 tsp of olive oil per day is a serving and many other reputable people agree.