Notices

Sauteing with water...

Old 07-18-2013, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sauteing with water...

I just sautéed some eggplant in water....clean up was a breeze, no yucky oily mess to deal with...just imagine all that oil mixed in your bloodstream...and we wonder why heart disease and obesity is so rampant in this country...that's the problem right there.

Dr. Esselstyn is right, stay away from cooking oils and you'll be much healthier.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by djwayne
I just sautéed some eggplant in water....clean up was a breeze, no yucky oily mess to deal with...just imagine all that oil mixed in your bloodstream...and we wonder why heart disease and obesity is so rampant in this country...that's the problem right there.

Dr. Esselstyn is right, stay away from cooking oils and you'll be much healthier.
While there is nothing wrong with braising, I disagree with Dr. Esselstyn.

Avoiding vegetable and seed oils high is poly-unsaturated fats is a good idea, however saturated fat and mono-unsaturated fat are very good for you and should be consumed in order to stay healthy. As an example; use butter, coconut oil or olive oil. Some, including myself, add extra coconut oil to their diet simply due to its health benefits. These fats will not cause heart disease or obesity.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

I don't like the idea of demonizing - or promoting - any kinds of fats. I have been avoiding saturated fats in my diet for quite a while, and only see improvements in my blood chemistry results. However, that doesn't mean I don't get saturated fat in my diet anyway. There's so much saturated fat in foods that it has made me eat more vegetables and fruits, to the point of being 'almost vegetarian.'

Fitday is one website that shows this very clearly. If you don't add any fats (oil, butter, etc.) to your foods, you will still see a lot of fat in your diet. Less than before, for sure, but a surprising lot of fat! Especially meats. Even a skinless, boneless chicken breast, poached with no fat, has fat!

So, fussing about good vs bad fat is kind of a waste of time, IMO. It's extremely hard to control the type of fat you eat. You can try to avoid certain fats, but good luck with it.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
I don't like the idea of demonizing - or promoting - any kinds of fats. I have been avoiding saturated fats in my diet for quite a while, and only see improvements in my blood chemistry results. However, that doesn't mean I don't get saturated fat in my diet anyway. There's so much saturated fat in foods that it has made me eat more vegetables and fruits, to the point of being 'almost vegetarian.'

Fitday is one website that shows this very clearly. If you don't add any fats (oil, butter, etc.) to your foods, you will still see a lot of fat in your diet. Less than before, for sure, but a surprising lot of fat! Especially meats. Even a skinless, boneless chicken breast, poached with no fat, has fat!

So, fussing about good vs bad fat is kind of a waste of time, IMO. It's extremely hard to control the type of fat you eat. You can try to avoid certain fats, but good luck with it.
Unfortunately this misconception the general public has on fat is the driving force behind most nutrition based problems. This is exacerbated by what is pushed in the media and taught to our doctors. Not all fat is the same, drastically so. You can very easily keep the good fat to bad fat ratio at reasonable levels, it is simply the lack of knowing what is truly good or bad about various fat that impedes us.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

The eggplant recipe sounds good.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

Well last week was my 8 week milestone on Dr Esselstyn's diet. I've been staying as far away from oil as possible for the whole 8 weeks. I had my blood work done last week and my cholesterol is down from 159 to 144, my LDL is down from 72 down to 56, my weight is down 18.7 pounds, my 1AC is down from 6.7 all the way down to 5.6.

These numbers are great to me because they signify that I am no longer at risk for a heart attack. The goals of the plan are cholesterol to be under 150, LDL under 80, 1AC under 7.0. I reached all these goals in 8 weeks time !!

Cutting out all oils was a major part of this success. I'm sticking with the diet to get even better numbers and to get my weight down even further.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Here's a picture of Bill Clinton taken today. Bill is also on Dr Esselstyn's diet and looks great !!

http://mediacenter.smugmug.com/photo...-7QCShWd-L.jpg
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Blood cholesterol has nothing to do with atherosclerosis
2. Blood cholesterol has nothing to do with atherosclerosis Cholesterol Facts You Should Know

Sticking with a low fat diet does more harm than good, it is just playing to your affinity for "good" numbers, which was instilled by a fabrication.

7 Ways The Low-Fat Diet Destroys Your Health
Why A High-Fat Diet is Healthy and Safe | Mark's Daily Apple

There are many more references I could link if you would like. I joined here to try and help guide people who are putting themselves at risk due to the slew of misinformation that is trusted and followed. Health is far more than appearances; how you look and feel.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

If you like Esselstyn, check out the Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn, his son, an Austin, TX firefighter. Recommended to me by my doctor, who followed the diet.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

I already have the Engine 2 Diet book. I found many good inspirational ideas there for great vegan meals. I'm now even making my own whole wheat vegan pizzas !! That's also where I got the idea for trail mix snacks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.