FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Which 'evil' ingredient would you choose, if any? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/5476-evil-ingredient-would-you-choose-if-any.html)

almeeker 10-17-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 59689)
I knew someone would ask this. That is not an option, or the point of this poll. I just used "ketchup" as the example. Most people are not going to make all their own condiments.

Now there you might be wrong. Often the answer to make things healthier in this house is to make it from scratch. I don't make mustard, mayo or peanut butter, but pickles, relish, ketchup, pizza sauce and jelly are all homemade. Sorry, but the poll itself was so convoluted I just went with my own easy answer.

dar n 10-17-2011 09:32 AM

Hi VitoVino
You know my answer HFCS= gmo corn where as salt= natural occurring mineral

but organic condiments ketchup being your example can help you cut down on both:

organicville ketchup=
INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC TOMATO PUREE, ORGANIC AGAVE NECTAR, ORGANIC WHITE VINEGAR, SALT, ORGANIC ONION POWDER AND ORGANIC SPICES.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tbsp (17g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
Calories 20
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 125mg lowest I have found so far but I will keep my eyes open.
Total Carbohydrate 4g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 3g
Protein 0g

Good question though I am watching my sodium as I am trying to control high blood pressure and keeping under 1500 is hard but almeekers point is valid if we do not open cans we avoid a ton of salt.

Have a great day.

RunbikeSki 10-17-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dar n (Post 59741)
Hi VitoVino

...if we do not open cans we avoid a ton of salt.

Have a great day.

Or meals that come in boxes

dar n 10-17-2011 10:11 AM

Pam So true 550mg of salt in an average diet frozen dinner:( Crazy that's a third of my salt for the whole day.

VitoVino 10-17-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by dar n (Post 59741)
Sodium 125mg lowest I have found so far but I will keep my eyes open.

Not bad, but 125 is still high. I use a LOT on my burger, about 1.5 tablespoons. That's just one of those things not open for compromise. So the Heinz is really the better choice, as much as I detest HFCS.

This gets back to what I call "the politics of salt". There's no reason why an organic ketchup couldn't be made with potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Heinz does it, only theirs is not organic.

This poll, and the replies, are very interesting so far. For sure there must be other foods out there that have no/little sodium and touted to be "healthy" yet they are still using HFCS.

vabeachgirlNYC 10-17-2011 06:15 PM

I'm probably one of the few who gets excited when I find a high sodium food. I have been trying to increase my daily intake. My doctor told me to eat as many pickles as I wanted lol. :D

I mainly eat fresh/frozen whole foods. I drink 150-200oz of water daily plus G2 on my running days and 2+ cups of coffee a day.

I guess the way I eat would work for someone who has to lower their sodium intake. :confused:

mtlgirl 10-17-2011 10:06 PM

I use the Organic ketchup as well and I would definitely opt for a little extra sodium over HFCS.

I think ultimately you should do what feels right to you. Of course it's best to make home-made but if your lifestyle just won't accommodate that then, just do the best you can and see what works. If you see that you aren't losing weight or lowering your blood pressure, then something's got to go.

Maybe just try making some homemade ketchup, just once and see if you like it?

RunbikeSki 10-18-2011 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 59794)
I'm probably one of the few who gets excited when I find a high sodium food. I have been trying to increase my daily intake. My doctor told me to eat as many pickles as I wanted lol. :D

I mainly eat fresh/frozen whole foods. I drink 150-200oz of water daily plus G2 on my running days and 2+ cups of coffee a day.

I guess the way I eat would work for someone who has to lower their sodium intake. :confused:

I'm actually with you on this one. I eat very little fast food and not much canned, boxed, or otherwise prepared foods. I often take those little salt packets you get in fast food joints on my runs. Low sodium is a big problem for me with cramping. Believe me, like most people I assumed the problem was potassium, but I have done enought experimentation with potassium vs. sodium to know that it is low sodium that causes me so much pain (literally!).

taubele 10-19-2011 09:36 AM

I'd probably avoid the HFCS -- however, I'm not at this moment too focused on lowering my sodium intake and I am more concerned with sugar.

Honestly, if it's more important to you to up your potassium and lower your sodium, you can probably take the hit of HFCS and just try to balance it otherwise in your diet, as wildbeanerz said :)

Also - you know what food has the highest umami? Bacon! ;)

RunbikeSki 10-22-2011 10:14 AM

Oh yeah, bacon makes everything better!

and actually, it doesn't take much