Notices

Miracle Noodles - Has anyone tried these?

Old 08-02-2011, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default Miracle Noodles - Has anyone tried these?

I have heard of them since they are supposed to be fat and calorie free but not sure how they would taste. Has anyone used these before?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Shirataki noodles? They do have cals and carbs but not many.

I could never get past the horrible smell even though I rinsed and boiled them. I also tried baking them because that was suppossed to get rid of the smell but it didn't.

One of my friends eats them though she said it's tasteless and the texture is weird.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
FitDay Member

I tried them but was not a fan. Bought two bags....threw one away
Old 08-09-2011, 02:57 PM
FitDay Member

I think they're an adequate substitute for real noodles, but only in limited contexts. I use them in Asian stir fries in place of rice noodles and don't miss the real thing too much because there are so many other ingredients and flavors. I also make a very low-cal mac and cheese. The cheese is tasty enough that the noodles are of secondary importance. However, I would never find them a satisfying replacement for a dish that centers around high quality pasta (e.g. Italian dishes).

I highly recommend them for their low calorie/high fiber stats, but you may have to experiment to find recipes that work for your tastes. They're quite filling, so at only 20 calories a serving, they're definitely worth a try!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Looove them!

These noodles are a miracle for me. I'm addicted to pasta, but doing Atkins, so can't have any. Probably not good for me anyway.

I fry up some onions and mushrooms, add a little cream cheese to the pan, salt, pepper and incorporate thoroughly rinsed fettucini style shirataki noodles. Not exactly identical to traditional noodles, but for me, it's a close enough substitute and helps tremendously with keeping my carb cravings at bay. I highly recommend trying them.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Along the same lines...has anyone tried the supplement Glucomannan? Which is what the tofu noodle, Shirataki, is made of.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:03 AM
FitDay Member

I bought a bag of the Miracle noodle- angel hair. I actually liked them. They are a bit more chewy than regular noodles. I put them in a chicken broth and ate as a soup. The smell didn't bother me after rinsing them off and boiling them for a few minutes. I would recommend trying the Angel hair style first, tho I haven't tried the others.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KatD13
Along the same lines...has anyone tried the supplement Glucomannan? Which is what the tofu noodle, Shirataki, is made of.
There are two kinds of Shirataki noodles. One has tofu in it while the other does not.

FitDay had an article about it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...mUk4KA&cad=rja
Old 09-30-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

VabeachgirlNYC: The article didn't discuss Glucomannan at all. If your looking for basic noodle info, this article is fine.
Anyone with any first hand info on Glucomannan?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KatD13
VabeachgirlNYC: The article didn't discuss Glucomannan at all. If your looking for basic noodle info, this article is fine.
Anyone with any first hand info on Glucomannan?
I know it didn't. I linked it to clarify that Shirataki was also made without tofu.

I have never taken a dietary fiber supplement since I get enough fiber from my food, but Glucomannan should work the same as any other brand.