Notices

Sweet Cravings

Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sweet Cravings

I have a major sweet tooth and I am sure there others out there with the same weekness. So I decided to start a post where we can post low cal, preferably sugar free and low fat desert recipes. I have a few I have already tested and love, the first is below. Will dig up others later. Please share any you might have, I need some new desert recipes, especially chocolate ones

Ingredients
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 cup granular sucrolose sweetener (such as Splenda®)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1 (1.4 ounce) package sugar free, chocolate fudge flavored instant pudding
1 cup skim milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease(I uses low cal spray) and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl mix applesauce and cocoa together,beat in eggs. Stir in the sucrolose sweetener. Combine the flour and salt in a separate bowl and gradually add to wet mixture. Finally stir in the 1/4 cup of milk and if desired, the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center, comes out clean. To make frosting, Mix together the sugar free chocolate pudding mix and 1 cup skim milk using an electric mixer. Mix for about two minutes or until thick. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into 20 squares.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 60 | Total Fat: 4.2g |

I skip the frosting and the walnuts and they are still just as good. I still count them as 60 calories just to be on the safe side.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

This was in the Boston Globe, and it looks really good - can you figure a way to cut out the butter? Would Pam work?

The dark chocolate needs to be a special occassion food, but once in a while. The fruit broiled without the chocolate would be good too - I did this with pears and it was good.

HOME/COLLECTIONS/SEA SALT
Grilled or broiled stone fruits with dark chocolate centers
Cover StoryAugust 17, 2011

Perfect for that beautiful farmers’ market fruit that isn’t quite juicy-ripe enough to eat over the sink for breakfast. Choose fruit that’s not too soft, so it holds together on a hot grill or under the broiler. Add chocolate for the last minute of cooking. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt or confectioners’ sugar, and if you like, generous scoops of vanilla ice cream. If you cannot get the pit out of the fruit, use the tip of a paring knife to ease it out.

2 peaches, halved and pitted

2 plums or pluots, halved and pitted

4 tablespoons ( ½ stick) butter, melted

3 ounces dark chocolate, cut into 6 squares

Sea salt or confectioners’ sugar (for sprinkling)

1. Light the grill or turn the broiler to high.

2. Dip the cut sides of the fruit halves in butter.

3. To grill: Set the fruit, cut sides down, on the grill. Cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook cut sides up for 1 minute. Add the chocolate to each center, cover the grill, and cook 1 minute more or until the chocolate melts. To broil: Set the fruit in a broiler pan. Broil 8 inches from the element for 6 minutes until the tops caramelize and the fruit softens. Add the chocolate to each center and return to the broiler for 1 minute more or until the chocolate melts.

4. Sprinkle the fruits with sea salt or confectioners’ sugar. Catherine Smart
-------------

Abby
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Abby if you used an indoor none stick grill you could easily omit the butter, I don't ever eat butter anyway, even in cooking it makes me ill. You could probably also use a low fat Margarine instead. When I am baking the oil/butter/margarine is always substituted with apple sauce but that wouldn't work on a grill. The bulk food store also sells sugar free chocolate, not quite as good but not bad.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Here is another tried and tested great recipe for sugar free low fat carrot cake

2 eggs or the equivilent in egg substitute
1 1/2 cups of shredded carrots
1/2 cup plain yogurt (vanilla works too if you want it a little sweeter)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar substitute (Splenda)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 cup raisins or walnuts (optional) I don't use either and it tastes just as good

Beat eggs, stir in carrots, yogurt applesauce and vanilla
In large bowl combine remaining ingredients, stir in carrot and egg mixture
Spread in a 9 inch square greased baking pan (PAM)
Bake at 325 for 35 - 40 minutes

100 cal per serving and probably less if you omit the raisens or walnuts
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

I think Pam is worth a shot. I use it all the time to broil things. You might also try a light brushing or spritz of olive oil or possibly spray butter.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

Applesauce Bars

1/2 cup low fat margarine
3/4 cup sugar substitute (Splenda)
3 eggs or the equivilent in egg substitute
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup each walnuts and raisins (optional)

In large bowl beat margarine and splenda until light, add eggs, add applesauce
In another bowl mix the flours and spices add slowly to the egg mixture
Add nuts and raisins

Pour batter into a greased (PAM) 13 x 9 cake pan
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes

Makes 42 bars at 75 cal each, less if you don't use nuts and raisins
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Got a question, as some of these look really yummy.

I shy away from artificial sweeteners; is the measurement here for the Splenda the same as it would be for sugar (or raw sugar, or honey, or agave)? I've never baked with Splenda and don't know if it's an equal conversion. I'm aware the calorie counts would be higher.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, yes you can interchange sugar for the Splenda, it's a 1 to 1 measurement. I don't know about agave, honey, raw sugar.

Have fun!

Abby
Old 08-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Abby, would be the same, then for agave, honey, etc., except need to compensate for those being liquid. Sounds like experiment time!
Old 08-26-2011, 08:14 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie thats how I came up with these recipes, all about experimenting. These recipes all required regular sugar, and all white flour, but I found a half and half mix of white and brown and doesn't take anything away from the flavour, and certainly makes them healthier. I am currently working on cheesecake squares will post it when I have it figured out. Also I found out years ago that most recipes you can substitute any oil for applesauce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.