Notices

Oven fried green tomatoes! Yummmy!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default Oven fried green tomatoes! Yummmy!

Oven fried green tomatoes are so much better for you than well, of course anything fried. I HAD to find a healthier replacement for them.

Use your normal recipe. I do not use egg in my recipe, but they cook so long in the oven I believe batters with egg will also work. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Let your tomatoes sit a couple mins after you bread them. Spray the pan with oil. Place the breaded tomatoes slices on the pan. Spray oil over tomatoes. Bake for 45-50 mins turning the pan and flipping tomatoes over after 25 mins.

My recipe:
4 green tomatoes (nice and firm ones)
salt
pepper
sugar
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour (i use self rising, dunno if that matters)
1 cup cornmeal
hot sauce
cup buttermilk (I substitute w a combination of milk, yogurt, and lemon or lime juice if I dont have buttermilk )

cut tomatoes to be about 1/3 inch thick. Lay out tomatoes on a tea towel. Salt and lightly sugar cut tomatoes. Allow to sit for 15-20 mins. Then pat dry.

Combine buttermilk and a shot of hot sauce. Combine panko, flour, and cornmeal with approximately 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Dip each tomato slice into buttermilk then batter with panko-flour-cornmeal mixture.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds yummy.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Grilled marinated green tomatos FTW! Just had one lol!