Notices

Snacks??

Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default Snacks??

Anyone know or has tried any snacks that have a higher amount of protein in them? I'm trying to steer clear of high carbs, but very difficult to accomplish that in snack form...As a teacher its hard to grab something quick with the healthy components that I am looking for...Any advice of any yummy snacks you have tried would be great! Thanks!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Almonds, Greek yogurt, low fat cheese sticks, beef jerky, sliced turkey, and hard boiled eggs come to mind. There are tons of protein bars out there, too, but they tend to be pricey, have a ton of ingredients (some of which are questionable) and are pretty high in calories, though they do pack a protein punch and are very convenient.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks! I try to stay away from the protein bars due to the high fat and cal content..I wish I liked Almonds, cashews, any nut...but I don't

Totally forgot about hard boiling eggs. I bought Egg White mixture for my omelet today...so yummy and no cholesterol..which is awesome for me!

LOVE LOVE LOVE Chobani yogurt...
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Peanut butter?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM
FitDay Member

Love it..would actually eat it off a spoon if I could..lol

I am now so aware of how fatty that is also..I am however back on portion control...so measuring it would allow me not to overload..
I'm a huge fan of celery and PB...yummy snack..

My Bachelors degree is in Physical Education, and I hate how I cannot use the background knowledge of all my health and nutrition classes because it has been a while lol Ughh. I mean you hear protein and automatically think..MEAT..which I am a huge fan, but should cut down on red meat especially and incorporate fish and chicken also...
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Peanut butter and other nut butters are my best friend (love them on celery). I can say in all honesty that one thing I did differently this time that I feel contributed to being able to finally lose the weight and keep it off, was to incorporate more healthy fats into my diet. I was always fat-phobic before, but the more research I did on monounsaturated fats, the more convinced I was that I needed to get them in, so PB it is! There is a brand called Naturally More that has even more protein than normal PB, and it's got other goodies like flaxseed in it as well.

I know some other folks will have some good ideas, but not too many are night owls to this extent. I'm just up doing a report on...a special education child . I'm sure folks will weigh in tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default olives edamame avocado

olives...5 lil 1s are a great snack for me.

homemade granola or a brand that is healthy is good too. oats r so good 4 you and the 'right' kind of carbs. sunflower seeds, pecans and/or almonds are in there as well so u get protein.

edamame (immature soybeans). just boil in salted water. yum

avocado. w so much in season i'd toss some diced avocado w tomatoes, onions n cucumbers. make a quick cilantro vinaigrette (olive oil base) and u r good too good. i really like avocado w turkey or chicken as well. veg soup w diced avocado put in right before serving. very mexican thing to do w avocado n so delicious/nutritious it's worth a try....if ya like avocados.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mdeleonibus3
Anyone know or has tried any snacks that have a higher amount of protein in them? I'm trying to steer clear of high carbs, but very difficult to accomplish that in snack form...As a teacher its hard to grab something quick with the healthy components that I am looking for...Any advice of any yummy snacks you have tried would be great! Thanks!!!
I like 1/4 cup of cashews, that has 160 calories I think. And I like Kroger Carb Master Yogurts, 60 calories per yogurt cup and they have some good flavors. A whole can of starkist tuna in water is 100 calories if you drain it and don't add anything to it and just eat it out of the can with a fork. Oscar Meyer fat free or even light weiners don't have a lot of calories and are high in protein. I'm sure I'll find some more stuff later but that's some of the high protein things I've tried.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

I like lots that have been listed, so I'll just add goji berries.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
FitDay Member

Beans are good, and "can" travel, also they are good later on for a laugh, toot toot. Envelopes of tuna are really good go to snacks here in this house. We also like a big fat bag of turkey jerky, and lets not forget the homemade granola with a healthy bit of TVP tossed in. Another snack that actually has a surprising amount of protein is a package of those orange crackers with the peanut butter or weird cheese spread on them. Personally I'm not a big fan, but DH and the kids love them and they have like 6-9 grams of protein/pack and only 180 calories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.