A must share Nacho recipe. >

A must share Nacho recipe.

Community
Notices

A must share Nacho recipe.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Default A must share Nacho recipe.

I came up with the chips today, I'd been considering it for a while but only put it together just now, works like a charm and are about 1/2 the calories of regular tortilla chips. The salsa I've made for years, I just dump in whatever I have on hand and it always turns out fantastic, it's even better the next day.

Chips

6-7 small low calorie corn or flour tortillas (the ones I used are 45 calories each)
sea salt
cooking spray
paprika (optional)
cumin (optional)
pepper (optional)

Spray each side of the tortillas, then stack them up and quarter the whole pile. Spread evenly over a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and whatever else you want, cumin, a package of taco seasoning, black pepper, etc etc. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake at 350 deg F for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

Salsa

1-2 tomatoes diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1/2 cup sweet corn (optional)
1 - 15oz can beans, white, red, black or chili (chef's choice), drained and rinsed
1 jar pickled banana peppers, mild, medium or hot (chef's choice), diced
1-2 sweet belle peppers, green, red, yellow or orange, (chef's choice) diced
1-4 hot peppers, finely diced
1 package taco seasoning mix or [1 T cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika]

Combine in a bowl and serve, it's great fresh and even better the next day. You can play around with the heat a little, depending on how hot your peppers are. I've taken it to parties where I brought both mild and hot versions, and made the distinction by putting green peppers and black beans in one and yellow peppers and white beans in the other.

To make a plate of nachos, line a plate with the chips and cover liberally with the salsa and serve it with a fork. It's so delicious you won't miss the cheese and sour cream, and nobody will ever guess that it's healthy and lite, and even if they did guess, they'll lick the plate clean anyway.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-04-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default gonna try it!

sounds like a winner, Amy.
Many thanks
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Oooooh, these sound delicious. Definitely going to try them. Some of my picky-eating friends may bemoan the lack of cheese, but if I can at least get them to try, that'll be awesome!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Something similar to this used to be served at my favorite Mexican place. One night I was hungry for it and couldn't afford the time or money to go out, so I chopped up a few veggies and tossed them in a bowl with a packet of taco seasoning. Well it got out of hand, this recipe gets huge fast. But it was okay because the next night we had a small party planned, so I pulled it out and parked it in the middle of the table with a bag of chips. At sometime around midnight I realized that there were like 5 guys sitting around the table passing the bowl, they had already devoured the chips, so they were putting the salsa on anything they could find. Apparently it's very good on toasted pita bread, potato chips, little squares of rye bread, slices of cheese, pieces of lettuce off the bottom of a deli tray, the last piece of bologna in the fridge and when all that's gone a spoon works well too. It's less good but still somewhat edible on apple crumb cake.

A few days later one of the guys at the party made a passing comment about hating vegetables. And I was like "WHAT?", I had watched him eat no less than a quart of the salsa which is like 100% vegetables. So it's a great way to throw down vegetables if you're typically not a big fan.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-05-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for sharing that. I am going to print it out and save it.