FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Adding Fiber (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/4503-adding-fiber.html)

cjohnson728 06-15-2011 01:25 AM

Adding Fiber

Besides the obvious (bran, flax, etc.) what are good ways to sneak fiber into recipes? I really enjoy making homemade granola bars for the family with no artificial ingredients and lower sugar, but I'd love to do a high fiber version similar to the Fiber One version. Any secrets as to what to throw in there?

Kathy13118 06-15-2011 02:39 AM

If I felt I had my diet under control, calorie-wise, and my family ate soups, I would add oatmeal to the soups. It's a good addition, fiber-wise, without changing the soup too much. Lentils are my favorite fiber-y food lately and I could eat them plain, hot, cold, in a salad, in a sandwich, in a soup, etc. I just had them in a soup of hamburger and onion.

almeeker 06-15-2011 04:49 AM

I've been making muffins with flax seed meal, vanilla protein powder and pumpkin. Oh, and what about dried apples? That might be a really yummy add to a granola bar and would add some fiber. The Mayo clinic website says that raspberries are super high in fiber. Yum, I love raspberries. What about a granola bar with a raspberry filling? I put low sugar black raspberry jam on anything that will hold still long enough for me to butter it on. Love the stuff.

As for non sweet cooking, I like to toss fresh and frozen veggies like broccoli, carrots and/or pea pods into a bunch of different dishes I make, stroganoff, casseroles, stir-fry etc etc. I usually add them for other nutrients, but they have a good amount of fiber in them.

rmdaly 06-15-2011 07:14 AM

Go to the All Bran web site. They have a ton of recipes all using bran cereal.

I would bet that you could put some All-Bran directly into your granola bars and they would taste great.

VitoVino 11-14-2011 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 48696)
Besides the obvious (bran, flax, etc.) what are good ways to sneak fiber into recipes? I really enjoy making homemade granola bars for the family with no artificial ingredients and lower sugar, but I'd love to do a high fiber version similar to the Fiber One version. Any secrets as to what to throw in there?

Did you ever come up with the new recipe? Could you post it? Thanks!

cjohnson728 11-14-2011 02:23 AM

I will share if I come up with something. I've had some other projects and this slipped my mind, thanks for the bump.

Not fond of using All Bran because of the HFCS in it. Kashi Go Lean has a ton of fiber so I may try something with that in it. I just did a batch of the usual but once they're gone, maybe I'll experiment.

VitoVino 11-14-2011 03:18 AM

Thanks Cassie.

The new list I'm working on, high fiber to low calorie foods, may be of help to you. :)

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...ed-ratios.html

01gt4.6 11-14-2011 03:39 AM

Remember I posted last week that Naturally More Peanut Butter has like 20x more fiber than broccoli? PB makes EVERYTHING better.

VitoVino 11-14-2011 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62325)
Remember I posted last week that Naturally More Peanut Butter has like 20x more fiber than broccoli? PB makes EVERYTHING better.

Peanut butter also has quite a bit of insect parts in it, giving it that added extra boost for protein. :D

I'll take my peanuts honey roasted, thank you. :)

But for shakes, adding to a fiber bar, peanut butter is a great idea.

avelina 11-14-2011 12:41 PM

Cook with lentils or beans a couple of times per week. It's cheap and there are so many delicious options. Also, my morning oatmeal (brand-Rogers Porridge Oats) has 7.5 grams of fibre. Fibre is one of those things that I have no problem getting in every day.

cjohnson728 11-14-2011 01:06 PM

I don't have problems getting fiber in my diet; I'm always high on that and am pretty aware as to how much is in different foods; I was just looking to find a way to make those homemade granola bars not such a waste of calories, and I figured that by adding fiber, that would be a good start. Mike, NM PB is a good idea for those...lentils, not so much :p!

01gt4.6 11-14-2011 01:10 PM

What about crushing up some fiber one cereal or fiber powder for the bars?

cjohnson728 11-14-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 62401)
What about crushing up some fiber one cereal or fiber powder for the bars?

I could look into powder, but I try to avoid Fiber One because of the artificial sweetener in it, but I am going to try the Kashi stuff. Thanks for the tip...and while you're at it, do you still have the recipe for those protein balls you did a while back? Weren't they chocolate and PB?

01gt4.6 11-14-2011 02:57 PM

I'll see if I can find the YouTube video.

01gt4.6 11-14-2011 03:05 PM

Healthy Protein Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (DELICIOUS RECIPE!) - YouTube

he has a ton of cool recipes, check them out.

cjohnson728 11-14-2011 03:29 PM

I will, as soon as I get some time...thank you!

Maybe I should just scrap Christmas cookies and make holiday protein bars of varying kinds, lol!

01gt4.6 11-14-2011 03:34 PM

That sounds like a great idea.

VitoVino 11-14-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 62312)
Not fond of using All Bran because of the HFCS in it. Kashi Go Lean has a ton of fiber so I may try something with that in it. I just did a batch of the usual but once they're gone, maybe I'll experiment.

You may want to check out "High Fiber" bars from Wallyworld, they are knockoffs of Fiber1 bars. The Oats & Peanut Butter that I eat have 9 grams of fiber per 150 calories, with 8 grams of sugars. Unfortunately, like most products today, it uses corn syrup.

I just checked the Kashi "GOLEAN Crunchy! Bars Chocolate Peanut" and it's 6 grams of fiber per 180 calories, with 13 grams sugars. Also, although it doesn't use syrup, it contains crystalline fructose.

Check this out about crystalline fructose:

what is crystalline fructose | The Golden Spiral

Here is another reason to avoid crystalline fructose…. arsenic. Yes. The processing of this molecule allows for acceptable levels of arsenic, heavy metals, lead and chloride...

...This is just another example of how the food industry and the corn industry have managed to get a toxic substance into the food you eat. As people get away from HFCS, there is something to easily replace it. And as people become more aware of CF, there will be another substitution.
I question Kashi's advertising on their website because of the crystalline fructose, which is not anymore 'natural" than the HFCS in Fiber1 bars:

We put lots of tasty ingredients in our bars, like sweet fruits, rich dark chocolate, and crunchy nuts. Plus, you get real nutrition, nothing artificial, and a feel-good snack.
I've "picked my poison" and I'm sticking with the Fiber1 bars right now. I only eat a few a week. But I'm looking to make my own fiber bars in the near future...