Notices

I cheated today

Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default I cheated today

After living happily on fruits, chicken, veggies and the occasional subway sandwich, I splurged today and ordered chinese food with a coworker (I wasn't going to eat but felt bad because she would have run to McDonald's alone...) and so we split a lunch. And a half hour later, I was violently sick in the bathroom. So yea, that little "cheat" was not fun, and definitely not worth the amount of fat. But my question is....is there anything "healthy" you can get on an asian food menu?
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I remember the days that when I'd cheat I would be stuck on the toilet. Those were the good old days. I guess I do it so often that I'm used to it. That tells me that I need to get my diet in check.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

They don't shut down the buffet when I come through the door, anymore but I have had Chinese, twice, IIRC in the last year. I had some teriyaki chicken and beef and some sushi. I'd try to stick to protiens I know are more-or-less "safe". Of course, the best stuff is disasterous (man I love me some General's Chicken and Crab Ragoons--I'd put those away by the plate full!).

Log what you ate and move on, that's what I do when I eat off-plan.

Regards,
Michael
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM
FitDay Member

that's so funny...tahts what I got! The crab rangoon and general tsos XD And today was my break day from working out, largely because I don't like doing it when everyone was home. Sigh. I'm so going to regret today tomorrow!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:54 AM
FitDay Member

The Chinese buffet in our town has a salad bar, so I try and stick to that and the sushi meanwhile taking it very easy on the soy sauce. Seriously I don't know very many heavy Asians, so there must be a way to eat it in a healthy fashion. I suspect it's all about moderation and portion size.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

I try to avoid the buffets, but I do order out for Chinese probably once a month as a treat - I usually get dumplings (steamed, not fried!!) and they're actually not too terrible so long as you don't eat too many (I usually eat between 6-8 good-sized ones) and you go easy on the soy sauce.

I also will get steamed chicken and broccoli - there's really no way to go wrong with that I think the key for me is to get anything that is steamed, weigh out the portions that I get at home, and be honest with myself. I also try to load up on vegetables there (again, steamed, not stir-fried) and take it easy on the meat portions.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Weight Watchers has a couple of really great recipes for General Tso's Chicken. I make it often. Here's the recipe that I use:

Weight Watchers General Tso's Chicken Recipe - Chinese.Food.com - 162379

I made a couple of small changes. I add chopped, fresh green onion and a tiny bit of chopped peanuts or almonds on top just before serving for crunch. I also cut the red pepper flakes down to 1/4 tsp. (or less) and use brown sugar instead of white.

They also have a great recipe for fried rice that we use for vegetarian nights.

Hope this helps your cravings!

quinn

Last edited by quinnesec; 06-06-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

Here's the worst thing: we ended up having pizza when I got home. I was sick all last night into this morning! Looks like I wont even WANT to cheat anymore!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Weight Watchers has a couple of really great recipes for General Tso's Chicken. I make it often. Here's the recipe that I use:

Weight Watchers General Tso's Chicken Recipe - Chinese.Food.com - 162379

I made a couple of small changes. I add chopped, fresh green onion and a tiny bit of chopped peanuts or almonds on top just before serving for crunch. I also cut the red pepper flakes down to 1/4 tsp. (or less) and use brown sugar instead of white.

They also have a great recipe for fried rice that we use for vegetarian nights.

Hope this helps your cravings!

quinn
I've made this one too, and adding the red pepper when it says to created...I don't know how else to say it...some sort of pepper "vapor" that had us all coughing and clearing our throats for an hour. I've had much better luck adding it in once the other ingredients are in and it's more saucy! Other than that, it's wonderful!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
FitDay Member

Yep. I do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.