Notices

Supermarket finds?

Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Supermarket finds?

Recently found some interesting supermarket finds.

1) Wild tuna-style flaked salmon (Goldseal brand)

Much lower fat content that typical canned salmon - 2g per can.
It's about $2.50 for a 170g can (120g meat). Mild tasting - 120 cals for the can, about 1.5g Omega-3.

Still it is moister and a bit more flavorful than tuna.

2) Maple-lodge farms cooked/smoked "halal" chicken

I have tried the regular "roll" and the "bacon" strips.
Both are pretty good. Again the fat is pretty low for a two slice serving:
1g for roll, 4g for the "bacon" (light and dark meat), which does taste
quite smoky. About $3.00.

I eat lots of carb an fats but just looking for low-carb and fat ready-to-eat proteins, to bump up my protein without adding much else. Increases fullness and reduces muscle loss during workouts. Of course fresh
foods are best, but in a pinch these are useful.

Thanks,

FIN
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

1. Trader Joe's Fingerling Potatoes. You microwave them right in the bag. 5 minutes and then you can smoosh them up with some butter or margarine. What a quick meal!

2. GG crackers (Whole Foods and Amazon.com). Basically, a cracker made of nothing but rye bran. So high in fiber and so low in calories that when calculated for points plus, it's zero (Weight Watchers program). Doesn't taste tasty like a triscuit, but doesn't taste bad at all, so it makes a great, great platform for some peanut butter, some seasoned cottage cheese, or some plain old butter or margarine.

You'd think you'd overeat the things, but after you eat a few, you are full. You feel like you've just finished a meal.