FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What just happened? Why did I eat that? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/4093-what-just-happened-why-did-i-eat.html)

dear_abby 04-21-2011 08:23 AM

What just happened? Why did I eat that?

I'm alone at the office, with some boring work, I went out to lunch with two former clients, had a nice time, ate fairly healthy although I did finish the chips on my plate.

Got back to the office, there were some nice healthy Kashi cookies in the coffee room, had one, had my 3:00 healthy snack, then hit the healthy Special K chips, Note the recurring use of the word "healthy" - it isn't healthy if it is too excess, I just kept putting more and more in my mouth, I feel gross now, both a little over fed, and disgusted with my lack of discipline.

I'm pounding water now to keep myself from putting anything more in my mouth!

Why do I do this when I know how good the dropping numbers on the scale feel?

sw07 04-21-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 44378)
I'm alone at the office, with some boring work, I went out to lunch with two former clients, had a nice time, ate fairly healthy although I did finish the chips on my plate.

Got back to the office, there were some nice healthy Kashi cookies in the coffee room, had one, had my 3:00 healthy snack, then hit the healthy Special K chips, Note the recurring use of the word "healthy" - it isn't healthy if it is too excess, I just kept putting more and more in my mouth, I feel gross now, both a little over fed, and disgusted with my lack of discipline.

I'm pounding water now to keep myself from putting anything more in my mouth!

Why do I do this when I know how good the dropping numbers on the scale feel?

Dunno what to tell you, bad/old habits are hard to break, I'll slip up every once in a while.....
I cheated with a doughnut hole this morning, but I did turn down free BBQ ribs & brisket @ lunch.

dear_abby 04-21-2011 09:05 AM

Thanks to both of you - SW and Sister Jen

You might be onto something there Sister, I'm on the cusp of that still...(sorry guys, if you're uncomfortable with this discussion we could move to the women's area, but I think everyone's support if valuable).

I know being the only one in the office makes me worse behaved, I don't have to role model, and sort of "sneaking" like being a kid without the baby sitter for the first time...

And, I'm a little lonely and bored (not for lack of real work to do, but for lack of people to discuss it with), calories and walking to the breakroom provide excitement! With your permission, I'm going to use this board like my AA sponsor, instead of calling, posting instead of eating.

Kumochi 04-21-2011 11:36 AM

Sounds like a good use of the forums. I find sometimes when I have been really good at resisting a big temptation I lapse and eat dumb things when there is no real reason to. Mary

Makaykay 04-22-2011 06:41 AM

I do that from time to time. I'm so good about my diet and I lose the weight and it feels amazing. Then, for whatever reason, it's like my brain decides to take a nap and the rest is left alone to eat things I used to eat. I try to just counteract it by doing just a little more time in gym and getting right back to my diet.

RunbikeSki 04-22-2011 07:54 AM

boredom eating...

... does me in all the time!
Hey Abby,
I am a little underwhelmed at work these days, too and I have to constantly find ways of to steer clear of the breakroom or the shopping center across the street. Even at home waiting for DH to come home or dinner to hit the table I am more likely to nosh out boredom than anything else.

I often find myself waiting for others to catch up either at work or at home. I can't continue until someone else does their part. Then the boredom sets in and...

I guess it beat feeling constantly overwhelmed, out of breath and out of control :rolleyes:.

lastri 04-23-2011 07:17 AM

Yeah, I working from home and I am very close to the kitchen. I often ope the fridge and munch things which I don't like anyway.
I try to be more cautious about it and tell myself that. "Hey, you are not hungry"
I know what you mean.
Mai

Lizards13 04-23-2011 07:49 AM

Hi Abby, unfortunately we are not saints and sometimes a little sinning creeps in, due to boredom, the blues, PMS, celebrations, holidays, etc..... Me, it's weekends or my partner coming home for a few days, or going out with my friends, and once recently it was just an overwhelming craving for chocolate which I satisfied until I felt sick. It's not about the giving in, it's about the NOT giving up, trip ups happen, put them behind you and move on. As for using these forums like AA sponsors, absolutely, that's what I do daily, feel free to pop over to my daily dose thread and use me as a spring board or a listening ear or anything else you need.

cjohnson728 04-23-2011 08:13 AM

Chocoholics Anonymous?

There are Whoppers eggs in my car right now.

They are calling me.

I am posting, and sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "Dadadadadadada I can't hear you!"

RunbikeSki 04-23-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 44543)
Chocoholics Anonymous?

There are Whoppers eggs in my car right now.

They are calling me.

I am posting, and sticking my fingers in my ears and saying "Dadadadadadada I can't hear you!"

My, my, my, I just cannot buy those whopper eggs! Even though I don't really like them all that much, once I start... well it is all over but the cry'n.

lastri 04-24-2011 05:28 AM

Happy Easter everyone.
Of course the Easter bunny came last night and bring us lots of chocolate. I have 2 small dark chocolate eggs (6eggs=220 cals). I have been good. I passed the pizza last night. I had 2 chocolate eggs this morning. And I am really in control at the Dimsum.
Yay,
Mai

rudy1988 04-25-2011 01:50 AM

Wow, I could have written your post myself. I do the same thing and it just makes me so mad afterwards. I get bored at work, there's plenty of work to do, but sometimes it is boring. I try and keep myself "armed" at work by keeping 1 oz. baggies of nuts in my drawer (and of course, try not to eat four bags at a time :o), yogurt or cottage cheese in the fridge, some cut up veggies and hummus, or some fresh fruit on my desk. That seems to help, so even if I eat some or all of those things on "boring" days, they are all pretty good and not a lot of calories, fat, sodium, etc.

Then I make it through the day and deal with the same thing at home. I ask my husband to put snacks away, out of sight. If I don't see them, I'm ok, but once I see them, they bother me and call me till I give in. LOL So, I have turned back to some hobbies in the evening like knitting or quilting and even some larger cleaning projects (like the basement, my closet, etc.) to keep myself busy.

path75 04-26-2011 01:13 PM

I can do the same thing, just munching out since there are tortilla chips and pretzels most of the time in the office. Never mind all the salt. But what I have been doing is bringing in plain air popped white popcorn to munch on when I get the urge. I usually fill up quick and there is not a whole lot of calories.

[email protected] 05-14-2011 10:44 PM

I'm retired now, but think if I had to do it over, I would plan really healthy snacks and bring them myself to share. Also bring portable, vegetables like carrots in a plastic bag with a high protein dip like refried beans, and sour cream - both non-fat. Filling and makes a good mix.

[email protected] 05-14-2011 10:46 PM

How did they get in your car. Hope they melt

cjohnson728 05-15-2011 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 46423)
How did they get in your car. Hope they melt

I bought them and hid them in there; my son asked for only two kinds of candy this year, so I put those and some jelly bellys in his basket, along with healthy treats like homemade granola bars, jerky, small gift cards, etc.

It worked out well.

Ad they didn't melt.

I have to say, using the FitDay (or any other) journal to journal the situation, reasons, and emotions that are going on when I eat has helped me this week avoid a lot of mindless snacking. The more I think, the better I do!

dear_abby 06-06-2011 08:14 AM

I am not going to touch those potato chips....

which someone left in the office lunch room - a nice single serving bag, and no one is around to see me gobble it, but I'll know, and I won't like it - water will be better.

I repeat - I am not going to touch those potato chips. I am not hungry, I am bored, I should be working, not thinking about potato chips. I will drink water - off I go to drink it. When I leave today, that bag of chips will still be on the shelf...

Abby

nottango 06-06-2011 08:36 AM

Stay strong Abby! They're probably stale anyway...and crushed into little pieces...and have bugs....

dear_abby 06-06-2011 09:18 AM

That worked

Thanks Nottango - I have no desire to find out if you are right about the contents of that bag on the shelf!

I'm heading home now, where I'll make spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and shrimp, nice green salad - yum!

Abby

wildbeanerz 06-21-2011 03:12 AM

This is how it is all the time where I work. Thank God, that about five months ago I accepted a new position that put me working with the customers that come to pick up food products from our warehouse instead of in the customer service building. In the customer service building there is a test kitchen. And OMG they cook up stuff like two-three times a week to display to potential customers. What they don't eat, they then put out for a free for all fat fest in the lunch room. Luckily since I moved up here, I don't have to deal with that temptation anymore. But when I go for my afternoon walk I get to smell all that they are cooking out the kitchen vent that I walk past!!

LisaAnnie 06-22-2011 09:31 AM

Peanut Butter - It's a Love/Hate thing

Damn that peanut butter. Got me again last night. I should not be watching the Food Network, even though it was Chopped and they have weird foods. Still makes me want to nosh.

I really thought I had thwarted the peanut butter demon earlier in the day. I'd taken the grandkids to the park, packed a picnic lunch. Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, oranges, and lemonade for them. Sliced chicken, cucumber, celery & pepper strips, apple slices, & water for me. When the not so hungry 5 yr old handed me her 1/4 eaten sandwich I took just one little lick, and then snapped out of it. A family of squirrels and some crows were happy to get the leftovers. I was proud of my resolve.

But later on, the notion of that peanut butter would not get out of my head. I ended up caving in and eating a piece of toast with gobs of it slathered on. Really. Not. Good... since I suspect a gluten intolerance and generally avoid all breads. ugh

I don't get me sometimes.

dear_abby 07-15-2011 05:38 AM

Why was I even looking at that rack?

The trail mix bags - three for five, and I had a dollar off coupon. I bought three, and was pleased only 110 calories per serving, yeah but five servings per bag! I poured a fifth into a bowl, and left the rest by the coffee machine, hoping others would devour it, now I hear it calling ...

Stay away - you'll feel good about this week - go drink water instead (even though you have to walk past it to get your water) - ....

I left this up, so I could report that I am back to my desk, with a full glass and no more trail mix!

Abby

Rubystars 07-15-2011 11:03 AM

I find logging everything on fitday helps me to be able to stick with it fairly easily. I mean if I can't weigh or measure what I'm eating how can I log it? Like with strawberries what I'll do is I'll wash them, cut out the pieces I don't want on them like the stem at the top, then weigh them on the food scale and log them as ounces. I do this with vegetables too. To me eating nuts or trail mix or whatever would involve weighing the amount to get the correct serving size or number of serving sizes so I could log the calories correctly or as close as possible.

Some foods have to be estimated, like the vegetable kabobs from Kroger, but they have a marinade in them so even though the vegetables themselves probably don't have a lot of calories I have to estimate a higher amount to account for the marinade.

The point of this is that it eliminates mindless eating. If I ate that bag of potato chips for example, I'd have to go in and make a custom food for it in fit day and then log the nutrition facts for the package.

dear_abby 07-29-2011 09:06 AM

Something about being alone in the office

My boss left early, and the cashew were calling... Yes, I sucumbed, they were yummy, and I could snack worse, took two at a time, an did about six trips. So, that's 12 cashews, I could do worse, but I didn't need them for hunger, it's amost because no one will catch me that I think I can, but no one wants to catch me....only I will know - that should be enough!

Abby

dear_abby 09-09-2011 05:24 AM

Forgive me forum, for I have sinned

For some reason, I kept eating these gross onion flavored crackers I bought at the supermarket in Chinatown (I went in looking for some simple accompaniment for my lunch salad), they were oily, over salted, over packaged, and I kept eating.

I had a beautiful salad with local veggies and a boiled egg all set for lunch, and a banana for dessert, but I had to eat about a million crackers (OK, I'd bet it was 10, serving size is 3, and that has 90 calories).

My stomach feels gross, some things are worth the calories, others are not, these weren't but I kept eating....

mecompco 09-09-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 56179)
For some reason, I kept eating these gross onion flavored crackers I bought at the supermarket in Chinatown (I went in looking for some simple accompaniment for my lunch salad), they were oily, over salted, over packaged, and I kept eating.

I had a beautiful salad with local veggies and a boiled egg all set for lunch, and a banana for dessert, but I had to eat about a million crackers (OK, I'd bet it was 10, serving size is 3, and that has 90 calories).

My stomach feels gross, some things are worth the calories, others are not, these weren't but I kept eating....

It's so easy to do! I specifically keep things like this far away from me. I don't get tempted too often, but it does happen. I bring my lunch and that is what I eat, period. Just way to easy to allow extra calories to creep in.

Regards,
Michael

cjohnson728 09-09-2011 06:23 AM

I agree, it is way too easy to do.

Sometimes when it's particularly bad, I make it a goal to come post or do a journal entry before I eat anything that's not on my plan.

dear_abby 09-21-2011 07:35 AM

Office Lunch, yuck

So, we were having a meeting, and the menu went round, I deliberately ordered the veggie wrap with avacado, swiss, lettuce, and tomato. The Avacado guided my decision. It came with chicken, and no avacado. It was awful, and yet, I ate the whole thing, then nibbled at the giant cookie. And now, I feel yucky - why didn't I say "no thank you", and eat a nice salad (I could have even ordered one instead, of course, they probably would have sent macaroni and cheese instead!)

Abby

Jennybeeb 09-22-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie (Post 49149)
But later on, the notion of that peanut butter would not get out of my head. I ended up caving in and eating a piece of toast with gobs of it slathered on. Really. Not. Good... since I suspect a gluten intolerance and generally avoid all breads. ugh

I don't get me sometimes.

You should try PB2 - It's Powdered Peanut Butter, I mix it in my protein shakes in the morning for Peanut Butter Satisfaction, or you can mix some up - less calories and less fat than regular peanut butter, but definitely takes care of the cravings :D

VitoVino 09-23-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jennybeeb (Post 57591)
You should try PB2 - It's Powdered Peanut Butter, I mix it in my protein shakes in the morning for Peanut Butter Satisfaction, or you can mix some up - less calories and less fat than regular peanut butter, but definitely takes care of the cravings :D

Whoa! Powdered peanut butter! Never heard of it, just googled it. Amazing! I've gotta try this. I like the idea of mixing it with a protein shake. Thanks for the tip! :)

dear_abby 01-18-2012 04:51 AM

It should be illegal

To leave left over giant cookies on the table where I am eating my lunch.

I had a perfect salad, broiled chicken on it, some sweet potato chopped up in it, and then, half a giant chocolate chip cookie. And, it did taste good, but my tummy doesn't feel good, and I was having such nice progress. Well, I don't need to make that an excuse to eat the other half, leave that for the next victim!

Abby

choisays 01-19-2012 03:33 AM

pound the water BEFORE the healthy snacks.....works for me.

Old habits of nurturing yourself are hard to break, but easier if you replace one habit with another.

Thus I pound water, then the desire to snack/reward/nurture seems to disappear...till next time.

I just lost 115 pounds and have maintained for 9 months so far

RogueSlayer 01-19-2012 04:28 AM

today i have CRAVINGS! had a healthy stir fry for lunch then they began, so far i've given in and eaten the last ice cream Snickers bar in the freezer (won't be buying anymore - phew!) ate some salted peanuts but that's it, so not TOO bad...