FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   3 PM Goodie Bag (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3933-3-pm-goodie-bag.html)

dear_abby 04-04-2011 08:21 AM

3 PM Goodie Bag

My commute home has been a minefield, walking to the subway past bakeries who exist to tell me how hungry I am, and how I deserve a treat because I worked hard today.

I've figured out a food I can have at 3 PM which works great to keep me from gobbling at 5:30. On Sunday, I pack up five of these bags - and take one for each day, it really works to keep the trip home monsters at bay....

3 dried plums (51 Calories)
8 raw almonds (56 calories)
12 squares of Shredded Oat Cereal (60 Calories).

You could use craisins, or raisins if you wish. The plums appeal to me, and yes, they are prunes, but the marketers want to change that association.

The cereal has more sugar than I'd like, I'll try switching to shredded wheat squares when I next buy a box.

Hope this helps!

Abby

RunbikeSki 04-05-2011 03:47 AM

I really like this idea Abby!
I will often rummage around for a snack about 3:00. Since I keep pretty healthy stuff in my desk, I don't usually go overboard (unless the stash needs to be restocked). But sometimes a handfull of almonds turns into several handfulls
Your goodie bag idea, pre-made, is great. Everything is predetermined, balanced, and prepackaged.

Thanks for sharing

fullbug03044 04-05-2011 04:50 AM

I really like this idea, too. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing. :)

One thing I like around that time is handful of almonds and some beef jerky. That seems to do the trick for me.

staceyalberta 04-05-2011 04:53 AM

that's an awesome idea thanks for sharing.

RunbikeSki 04-07-2011 10:26 AM

Great combo

I had Abby's 3PM goodies today and I don't know what it was about that combo, but it satisified all the afternoon cravings - a little sweet, a little crunch, and a little fat to keep the belly occupied.

dear_abby 04-08-2011 12:23 AM

Glad you liked it - the main problem I have is on Sunday I have to eat the extra almonds so it comes out even!

RunbikeSki 04-08-2011 02:05 AM

Sometimes life is tough that way

Originally Posted by dear_abby (Post 43012)
Glad you liked it - the main problem I have is on Sunday I have to eat the extra almonds so it comes out even!

:D:p:D

rmdaly 04-08-2011 02:37 AM

I have a variation on that:

1 oz peanuts (160 cal)
1/2 serving raisins or craisins (65 cal)

This is more calories than the one above, but it is great in the afternoon when I get a little over-hungry. The salt from the peanuts, the sweet from the dried fruit kind of get all my cravings and the fat takes the edge off the hunger. You do have to measure it out, otherwise it is too easy to overdo.

RunbikeSki 04-08-2011 04:21 AM

yum, sounds good too.

Originally Posted by rmdaly (Post 43039)
I have a variation on that:

1 oz peanuts (160 cal)
1/2 serving raisins or craisins (65 cal)

This is more calories than the one above, but it is great in the afternoon when I get a little over-hungry. The salt from the peanuts, the sweet from the dried fruit kind of get all my cravings and the fat takes the edge off the hunger. You do have to measure it out, otherwise it is too easy to overdo.

But I do have a serious problem with peanuts... I LOVE them! I just can't stop eating them once I get started. Definitly food-crack for me. We've instituted a "peanut in the shell" only rule in our house. At least you have to work to get at those little nuggets.

Almonds I like, 8, 10, 12 and I'm done.