FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Would you give chocolate as a gift? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3864-would-you-give-chocolate-gift.html)

lastri 04-15-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by rmdaly (Post 41790)
My husband loves sweets especially chocolate and rarely gives up desert. I think he eats at least one candy bar a day. His favorite breakfast is donuts or chocolate croissant with hot chocolate (whole-fat milk) and whipped cream. He would love to get big candy bars as gifts.

I eat much differently than him and I am always watching what I am eating. One day he went to a bookstore and decided to buy me something and bought me a large box of chocolates. I didn't want to have it in the house because it was something I liked and I knew I would finish it. I didn't want to throw it away because it would seem rude, unappreciative and wasteful. I tried to eat only a few, but ate the whole box and then hated myself. I have told him that I don't want him to give me chocolates. Easter is going to be challenging again. He has already bought himself and our son a solid chocolate rabbit.

His father's birthday was last month and eventhough he is borderline diabetic, my husband bought him a bunch of candy.

We just got back from a trip and he wanted to buy the people who watched our dog a big box of chocolates. I reminded him that the woman was pregnant and might not be eating chocolate. I also tried to tell him that not all people appreciated getting chocolate. He just rolls his eyes at me and implies that because I am always "dieting", I am the strange one.

I would like to know what others think about getting and giving sweets as gifts and what you do about it.

My husband always buy me chocolate for all occasions (birthday, anniversary, Christmas...). And he ate most of it. LOL. He likes chocolate that's why he bought it.
Maybe you should bring it out and offer him some. He might like that.
Mai

wannabefitgrl 04-15-2011 02:01 PM

To all the man-hating going around...it is possible to find one that supports the healthy lifestyle. My bf doesn't eat healthy, but never makes fun of me for living that way. And if I need help to say no, he does it for me, but never makes me feel bad over it. He tells me all the time how great I look. He's not supportive in the way of providing healthy options necessarily, but he certainly doesn't buy me chocolate! He's a keeper and everyone will find one of those!

Kumochi 04-16-2011 04:26 AM

I wouldn't call it man hating! I think we are wise to recognize if someone is trying to sabatoge our efforts whether they be our partner, best friends, parents, siblings or casual aquainantances. It happens. The reasons behind their kindly gifts are hard to figure out and likely as varied as the people themselves. I'm sure lots of them are well meaning, however they also are not respecting our wishes to not have to deal with extra temptation. Some of them may be because the person fears our success.

To me a person who gives me chocolate because they want me to share it with them would get a lot more points for giving me roses and buying their own chocolate and keeping it away from me. Mary

pinenutcasserole 04-26-2011 07:04 PM

Well, I was probably (certainly) man-bashing, driven by thoughts of particular ones. Then I generalized myself into 80s stand-up territory, without even that hack humour. I do think there's a kind of common sense that comes from socialization (probably?) that many women share, and that many men share, but not always together. Oh it's cliched, it's the stuff of terrible sitcoms and self-help books, sometimes I find it to be true, often not. There are lovely, sensitive, equity-minded, thoughtful guys out there. Sorry, men.

yauncin 04-27-2011 06:02 AM

Well, on behalf of the men I'll accept your apology... this time. ;)

pinenutcasserole 04-28-2011 04:15 PM

Aw, see how wrong I was? :)

Esofia 05-09-2011 09:54 PM

I've been vegan since I was nineteen, and vegetarian for eight years before that, and I have lost track of the number of times that friends and family who knew damn well what my dietary needs are have given me food I couldn't eat. In one case, I didn't realise that I'd just eaten something with a lot of cheese in it until afterwards, about the point that the food intolerance kicked in and I had to spend the rest of the night in the bathroom. Another friend is prone to giving me lovingly wrapped, beautiful-looking boxes of dark chocolates where she forgot to check the ingredients, assuming no doubt that because it's dark chocolate, it's vegan (hah - maybe 5% of dark chocolate is vegan, the rest has milk floating around somewhere. Her mother's vegan, I'm still surprised that she doesn't think to check). I thank them nicely, say I'm not hungry if applicable, and find another recipient to hand them to.

Some people make mistakes, and some people resent my having made a dietary choice based on ethics (they would never do this to someone who is kosher or halal) and make a point of trying to force me or trick me into accepting something non-vegan. The latter have always been family. My aunt hosted all the (dire) family dinners, and would refuse to make any vegetarian food, so that we always had to bring something for me. Well, she'd give me soup, but I think it was just bouillon and hot water, and one year it had bits of chicken floating in it. I'd never dream of doing something like that, I always enquire whether a dinner guest has any dietary needs I should know about (you really don't want to mess up with a nut allergy, for instance) and go to whatever lengths necessary to make sure they don't feel singled out. I don't accept clothes from my mother any more, she's deliberately lied to me too often about whether they contain animal fibres, and I know perfectly well she's doing it to score a point. Anyone playing silly buggers when they know you're dieting is probably in the same category. Gift-giving can be about control a surprising amount of the time, and can involve trying to shame people as well.

There's a novel by Margaret Atwood, Lady Oracle, about a woman who becomes obese in childhood and gets bullied by her mother about it. Eventually an equally obese aunt of hers dies and leaves her a legacy on condition that she loses, erm, might be 100lb, but anyway she has a fixed weight to get to, and I think she's around twenty but still living with her mother. She does it, she starts dieting and changes her life. It's only when she starts doing it that she realises that her mother was the one pushing her into obesity the whole time. She'd always felt guilty because she'd see a cake lying on the counter and snaffle it, but as an adult she looks back and realises that her mother was deliberately buying cakes and other tempting foods and leaving them out so that exactly that would occur. Once she starts dieting, the mother really panics and keeps trying to push her off the diet. Thankfully she gets away from her mother and her life improves a lot. Do not underestimate how much some people can try to play games with you in this respect.

With regard to your partner, I think all these suggestions that he give you big pieces of jewellery or a day at a spa are daft, although I'm hoping they're jokes! Because if he offers you a small gift and you turn round and say you want something really expensive, it's not about your diet any more, it's about money and accusing him of stinginess. Ask for flowers or something else of equivalent price instead. Is there perhaps a healthy food which is still a nice treat that you could request, exotic fruit or something? Or maybe something that lasts so that you can look at it fondly afterwards, a book or houseplant, say? And if he continues to give you chocolate, give it away, and sooner or later he will notice that the usual chocolate-eating frenzy is not occurring. If he never does take the hint, well, you will no doubt have a friend who is happily accepting regular infusions of chocolate from you by then. And if he really does insist on giving you chocolate after you have nicely and clearly and repeatedly explained why you don't want him to, think about whether it's symptomatic of something larger going on in your relationship that needs attention, or whether it's just a small random blip.

Speaking of flowers, my partner and I are coming up to our fifth anniversary and in all those years I've got flowers from neighbours, friends and my parents, but never once from him. I drop the occasional hint, but I don't think flowers are really on his radar, bless him. He gets me the most incredible presents, generous, well thought-out and beautifully wrapped (honestly, he must start looking for appropriate giftwrap and cards months in advance), so I am very much not complaining, and I'd rather have books than flowers anyway. Just... it'd be nice once! Going back to chocolate, I was slimmer when we first got together and had a fondness for chocolate drops from my local supermarket which were miraculously vegan (it didn't last). He teased me about them, and occasionally he would hide them, usually somewhere I couldn't reach. I would grumble about this, but then he would also buy these chocolate drops on the sly and hide them where I'd find them as a nice surprise later.

LisaAnnie 05-10-2011 02:48 AM

LOL! My husband gives me power tools and sci-fi books... both of which, coincidentally, are things he really likes!

If I give chocolate for a gift it is a very small amount of very fine dark chocolate. I would not give this type of gift to someone trying to lose weight, although a small piece of dark chocolate is not the worst thing a dieter could eat. I would not give this type of gift to anyone I knew would not appreciate it, for instance I had a coworker who hated candy, chocolate and anything with sugar. She didn't even eat fruit. I gave her some specialty tea for a gift, because I knew she liked teas.

RogerBloom 11-18-2013 06:07 PM

Re:

Originally Posted by crblack1218 (Post 43784)
Men give chocolate as a gift in hopes that they will get to eat some of it too.

That's great way

vabeachgirlNYC 11-19-2013 04:06 AM

One of the most thoughtful BF's I ever had would bring me my favorite hair products or fill my fridge with my favorite vegetarian foods. I called it bringing me flowers because the thought was the same (he was thinking of me). I know it took way more effort to do what he did and I appreciated it way more than flowers or chocolates.

I get food gifts all the time at work but I usually give them away or share with my coworkers since I am a vegetarian and have some food allergies so I won't chance having a reaction.

I always appreciate the gifts because it means that someone thought enough of me to actually get a gift for me. That thought means way more to me than whatever the gift is.