FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Vegetarian trying to do low-no carbs (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3719-vegetarian-trying-do-low-no-carbs.html)

labamba813 03-16-2011 05:45 AM

Vegetarian trying to do low-no carbs

I have been a vegetarian for 3 years now and I have just kinda stayed the same so I am trying to lose that last 10 pounds. However, in order to get a lot of protein I have to eat eggs (I have one whole egg and 2 whites in the am) and nuts and soy protein. Because of this, my pie chart shows fat as being the biggest percentage of my days. Its all unsaturated fat so it should be fine, right? Also, Healthy cholesterol/BP levels and I'm 24 and active (when I am not sitting at my desk at work). Please HELP!

almeeker 03-16-2011 05:52 AM

If you use any dairy in your diet you might want to investigate Greek yogurt, it's pretty high in protein 14-17 grams/serving, and comes in a fat free version. Cottage cheese is also a good source of protein.

snolyzard 03-16-2011 07:42 AM

Also, whey protein powder (dairy) to put in smoothies can help. I agree with the greek yogurt and cottage cheese they are my main sources of protein! I eat beans, they have a lot of carbs but I'm not as concerned about them as I am about bread/sugar/refined carbs.

shibaluvr 03-16-2011 10:09 AM

Some ideas

Hummus in many flavors is good. I like all the flavors.

There is a nutrition shake called Zoic Healthy Weight Management Nutrition Drink. It's 99 percent fat-free, lactose free has fiber, no sugar and is for people who have allergies. It's 100 calories a can.

In the Indian section of the supermarket there are some packaged meals that are low in fat and calories that are vegetarian. Zany multigrain is good, jodphur lentils, and many others. When my diet bores me to tears I go there.

Use the internet to find new vegetarian options for proteins. Every recipe known to man is somewhere to be found here.

Miso soups. Really good.

IMPORTANT INFO: I was told by Dr. Frackleton who ran a chelation clinic that eating eggs with their cholesterol content was not a thing to worry about PROVIDED you do not break the yolks. He said when the yolk is oxidized then the cholesterol is to be a concern. He meant breaking the yolks during cooking. It's ok to break them while eating them.

Meggietye 03-28-2011 05:08 AM

How about lentils?

hiimdanhubler 04-06-2011 08:32 AM

A low carb ketogenic diet should be high in fat.

Ketogenic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kathy13118 04-12-2011 09:37 AM

If you can manage high in fat and low in calories, all the more power to ya. If you are noticing that your diet is very high in fat and high in calories, you get lots more bang for you buck, calorie-cutting-wise, when you drop some of the fat.

Cutting carbs, which are relatively low in calories, compared to fat, doesn't buy you much. Protein is more satiating, along with fiber. Figure out how to keep those in your diet and you'll have a better chance at losing the weight and keeping it off.

mariang 04-12-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by labamba813 (Post 39938)
I have been a vegetarian for 3 years now and I have just kinda stayed the same so I am trying to lose that last 10 pounds. However, in order to get a lot of protein I have to eat eggs (I have one whole egg and 2 whites in the am) and nuts and soy protein. Because of this, my pie chart shows fat as being the biggest percentage of my days. Its all unsaturated fat so it should be fine, right? Also, Healthy cholesterol/BP levels and I'm 24 and active (when I am not sitting at my desk at work). Please HELP!

I tried this diet for a while (years back as a veggie) - I did the Atkins diet, but replaced meats with eggs and vegan protein. I got my fats from healthy oils, dressings and full-fat cheeses. I got my carbs (mostly) from leafy greens and other raw veggies. Boring diet - but it works! (I currently am back on the diet, but have gone back to eating meats and fish)

70% fats, 25% protein, 5% carbs was the ratio I aimed for (this diet did not include nuts, soy, any sort of grains or seeds etc)

I never had any negative health repurcussions and was able to transition back to regular eating eventually!

Good luck!!! :)

vabeachgirlNYC 04-13-2011 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by labamba813 (Post 39938)

Everyone is different but if you are getting the minimum protein and carbs your body needs I wouldn't worry unless you are unable to lose any weight.

I have been a vegetarian pretty much my whole life. I live a low carb lifestyle, get plenty of protein, eat higher fat while keeping my cals below 1200 a day.

I am allergic to nuts and to iodine so I only eat liquid egg whites which are very high in protein but fat free. I actually needed more fat since I eat low carb so I would add olive oil to everything!

What are your macro's?