FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Grilled Food!! Escaping fried! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3691-grilled-food-escaping-fried.html)

Crimpet 03-13-2011 08:03 AM

Grilled Food!! Escaping fried!

My husband bought me an electric grill today after my coaxing him. I'm so excited because I felt stuck with eating fried foods all the time. We don't have a normal oven, so baking is rare, and when it does happen food burns. We are in a joint household meaning we live together with his parents, and his mom does most of the cooking. She's a good cook, but not exactly the healthiest cook. Not on purpose, mind you, but more from a lack of knowledge. (She thinks fried spinach soaked in oil is still full of vitamins and healthy) So, though I would try to escape oil soaked foods, deep fried, or pan fried, there seemed no escape. When I would cook, I was limited on what to make due to our oven.

So, I'm stoked!! We finally got a grill, and tonight I tested it on wheat grilled cheese sandwhiches..with NO oil at all!! It was awesome!!! It's the first time I've had one here that wasn't soaked in butter or oil yet still tasted just as good. I'm still trying to step away from bread but it was great.
I'm about to try grilled apples...

Now, I was wondering this..is grilling better than baked? What's the healthiest form of cooking?

Please share any grilled recipe Ideas with me, as I am in need of healthy inspiration to set off this healthy eating. ^_^

mecompco 03-13-2011 08:17 AM

I don't know that grilling is any better or worse than broiling/baking as there is no fat added. If I'm frying, I tend to use cooking spray or olive oil to mitigate the saturated fat (though sometimes, ya' just gotta' have some real butter).

Now that my gas grill is devoid of snow I know I'll be firing that up much more and get away from the fry pan, at least until next winter.

Regards,
Michael

taubele 03-13-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Crimpet (Post 39529)
Now, I was wondering this..is grilling better than baked? What's the healthiest form of cooking?

Please share any grilled recipe Ideas with me, as I am in need of healthy inspiration to set off this healthy eating. ^_^

Echoing what Michael said - any form of cooking with no fat added is the best. I prefer grilling to baking as it's usually faster and I can sort of add seasonings on the fly to try new flavors. I like grilling meat, fruit, vegetables - you name it!

Congratulations on your new grill - try some grilled fish, it's delicious!! (though if it's delicate fish, like tilapia, be careful since it sticks!) As you have an electric grill you don't need to worry about fish falling through the griddle, which is always a big boon - we have an electric grill too and use it pretty much every day :) I'm a huge fan of grilled shrimp as well.

With fish or shrimp, marinate it (for about 15 minutes) before grilling for some extra flavor, or if you're in a hurry you can just dry-rub spices - I like lemony/zesty spices and tastes for seafood, but experiment!

shibaluvr 03-13-2011 02:19 PM

Try some vegetables

Slice zucchini, yellow squash, onions, peppers and spray with a little olive oil spray or flavored Pam and grill. Also, grill grape tomatoes, asparagus. The sprays either salad dressing or evoo sprays put just a little oil and flavor on the vegetables.

Crimpet 03-14-2011 12:25 AM

Thank You everyone for sharing ^_^Last night I made the grilled apples, and I was amazed with how it completely knocked out my sweet tooth! Today I'm doing kabob, and a few vegis. It's made me totally excited about eating healthy again, since now I don't have to dread every meal and what it may bring. =)

VTC17 03-14-2011 10:53 AM

one of my favorites
Marinate 7 pounds of skinless chicken breasts in some Italian dressing for 2 hours. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle a rub on them, I like to use 2 tbs salt, 2 tbs lemon pepper, 1 tbs granulated garlic, 1 tbs granulated onion. This makes more than enough for the rub. Grill the chicken for 45 min at 300 to 350 degrees turning half way through. Make sure that the meat is completely white and the juices are clear you don't want to under cook them. This will give you plenty of chicken for the week.

beccafries 03-15-2011 10:38 PM

grilled apples that sounds delish!