FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   online shopping? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3607-online-shopping.html)

TheNannyTina 03-05-2011 08:00 AM

online shopping?

Well, obviously I work as a nanny. My boss for the last two weeks, keeps getting boxes with food. And it is all pretty good stuff. The kids eat alot of stuff like the organic cheddar bunnies, Grace eats alot of the organic toddler fruit stuff. And it is coming in the box fulls! Have any of you ever gotten food online from sites like amazon.com. What did you think of it? Did you really save money. Thr orices seem nice, but when I think of postage and handling, I am wondering if it is worth it. Have you done it? Was it worth it?

Tina

01gt4.6 03-05-2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TheNannyTina (Post 38567)
Well, obviously I work as a nanny. My boss for the last two weeks, keeps getting boxes with food. And it is all pretty good stuff. The kids eat alot of stuff like the organic cheddar bunnies, Grace eats alot of the organic toddler fruit stuff. And it is coming in the box fulls! Have any of you ever gotten food online from sites like amazon.com. What did you think of it? Did you really save money. Thr orices seem nice, but when I think of postage and handling, I am wondering if it is worth it. Have you done it? Was it worth it?

Tina

I'd rather buy my own food at the store so I can see it, touch it, feel it, smell it whatever. Is it worth it? Maybe to your boss, I for one can't afford a nanny so I can't afford to buy groceries online, if I could I still wouldn't.

cjohnson728 03-05-2011 10:01 AM

I've not done it, but I've looked online (a work stall technique :o). The prices are good at times, though from the reviews that are posted, you can't always be sure the expiration dates are far enough into the future.

TheNannyTina 03-05-2011 12:59 PM

Yeah, I have been debating on it. All the stuff she has gotten for the kids seem to go well for her. It doesn't sound so bad to get some bulk cream of wheat, or Truvia. I have been considering it.

Another reason I have been considering it, I don't drive. (just never got my license) the store across the street from my apartment is a small family owned store, and there prices are outrageous. I like to support local business. But not everyday. It gets pricey! Today I had to pick up a few things and walking a mile too and back from the store in the rain got me thinking, this isn't a half bad idea! But I am still not confident on it! Was just wondering if anyone else had experience with buying bulk from places like amazon.

Tina

almeeker 03-05-2011 01:18 PM

Our oldest child spent the first 6 years of her life allergic to wheat, milk, eggs and tomatoes. In the beginning we had to drive 35 miles in each direction to overpay for all kinds of things. After I got the hang of feeding an allergy kid, I started buying lots of things on-line. We even joined a food co-op and ordered bulk ingredients from them once a month. I would say 90% of the time it worked really well, but every now and then we would end up with something that was a problem. For instance when I was 8 months pregnant I went to pick up my co-op purchase and discovered that although I'd ordered a 25 lb bag of corn starch, I received a 50lb bag. Normally that would have been a great deal for me, but I was so pregnant getting it in and out of the car was an issue. One of the best things for me was that our favorite on-line health food store offered free shipping on orders over $49 or more, and it you've ever had to buy gluten free products, you would know that to spend $49 is nothin'. I probably ordered from there once or twice a month, it really forced me to plan and be prepared/organized.

Kathy13118 04-19-2014 01:43 AM

With amazon prime membership, there are many items that don't have shipping costs.

I like amazon grocery because there are some things there I just can never find in my local supermarkets. Sometimes, the prices ARE better.

I recently got some Indian soup that I have never seen on the shelf of a grocery store. Knowing the price of soup in general, it was a pretty good buy, although I couldn't compare it to anything.

The delivery is a convenient feature of online shopping.

Abner72 05-16-2014 06:42 AM

There are many other sites which can help you to get the food online you just need to search the online stores near your house and they will deliver it there. I can suggest you kodwhat.com it has all the things according to your requirements.