Notices

Calories in cup of Lentils...Yikes!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Calories in cup of Lentils...Yikes!!!!

Am I doing this wrong folks? I cooked a cup of red lentils in 2 cups of chicken stock, 2 thin carrots and a cup of cut up cauliflower with a teaspoon each of cumin and curry. I served myself one cup and savored every bite, it was delicious!! Then I entered it into my log, GASP, it said it was over 700 calories!!!!! Even at half of that it is 350 cal and I am in shock here. lentils sound healthy and I am assuming they are full of good stuff but will someone please talk me down off this ledge??

sign me...in shock in Canada,

meggietye
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

did you enter everything individually as a custom food? Stuff like that should be ''custom" IMO.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I think it may be calculating a cup of uncooked lentils as having that caloric content.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I entered everything separately, yes. It is odd, it says dry cooked lentils..how can a cooked lentil be dry?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have googled this...the answer from 2 separate sources is this, 1 cup of cooked lentils is 230 calories. It is 5:30 in the afternoon and I had that cup of lentils 3.5 hrs ago and I am still FULL, I will be having this more often!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure it's dry lentils. On your package, how many calories does it say are in a cup of lentils? You can always cross-check with the nutrition information on the food itself when you run into values that seem not quite right.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hope this helps you

Hello Meggietye. As you know, anyone researching anything on the web can find conflicting or misleading information. It can be very frustrating and time consuming to cross check information for accuracy..

Here is a great reference site for researching nutritional content and calories. I have found it to be easy to use and very reliable. I hope this helps you. Let me know what you think.

Search the USDA National Nutrient Database - http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Additionally, there is a good article about Beans and Lentils here: Beans and Lentils - Dr. Perricone's No. 4 Superfood - Oprah.com

Best of luck to you in all your endeavors. Believe in yourself and focus on your goals and good things will happen for you. -----Albie

----------
Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Not sure about dry lentils...but Primo lentil soup has 130 cals per 540ml can (60 cals per cup) and I eat it every day for lunch with a turkey sandwich...very good and filling! Makes a great afternoon snack, too.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have it all sorted now, the answer is 230. Ty for your aid everyone!