Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!) >

Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!)

Notices

Cooking From Scratch (AKA No More Processed Foods!)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
One thing most people eat out of a box that I make from scratch is mac & cheese.
A recent People had Paula Deen on the cover. . .there's a mac and cheese recipe inside I will be making soon. But that low-fat cheese tastes like wax, so she added just a touch of non-fat cream cheese and parmisan [can't spell].

Last edited by JulieBengt; 02-08-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
I saw your question about pasta, cereals, etc. I'm not quite that fanatical. I do purchase healthy cereals, (although I usually stick to oatmeal) whole wheat pasta, etc. I mean I don't buy any boxed mixes or pre-prepared foods. All of my meals for my family start with fresh ingredients. (Think Rachael Ray, 30 Minute Meals on a diet. )
Look for buckwheat in bulk and make enough to store in fridge. Cold, with almond milk for pudding consistency and Splenda closest thing to tapioca I know.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern
Questions:

How about if the package says natural cheese rather than processed cheese. Is that OK?

And how about soy sauce? Completely taboo or is reduced sodium OK?
American cheese quietly labeled "American cheese food" altho I use just a bit for a binder. Harder cheeses have flavor and less fat. My struggle is cheese is candy for me, so I only buy enough for one recipe or a get into trouble. The low-salt soy will work. You may want to check Worchestshire sauce [I can't spell]. . .I read labels constantly.
Your recipes are great. I have begun purchasing a turkey bacon without nitrates. It's a bit pricier but so lean I'll use a slice or two for a sandwich.
My turkey thighs were smoked but I don't know if that means they have nitrates. . .all the good stuff has salt!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by staceyalberta
i always added more gluten when i used to make my own bread. my grandma told me about it & i just did it & would used 100% whole wheat & it worked for me. i also heard that in the states you should be buying bread flour as well. for some reason your flour down there is different ~shrug~ up in canada it doesn't matter so i've been told.
Ezekial is in the freezer case. A bit pricey but you must keep it in the freezer. It's only best for toast. Has no flour.
I will toast two slices and make a cheese sandwich using just enough cheese to make it a sandwich.
Then, put it in a lunch bag or place on a paper [not styraphome] plate and cover with a plate. . .plastic will make it moist.
Based on your oven, flash heat only a few seconds.
Figured this out. Then Martha got out of jail. . .she did this during her "cupcake days" for the inmates.
If you seed a tomato and watch your time that works, too.
Homemade bread with crunch/seeds very satisfying!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Bumping this up for lildebbieg
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Mern! I have missed this thread, too. Debbie, hope you enjoy! Mern has been a pro at posting great low carb ideas.

Coincidentally, I decided to try tortillas from scratch. I had to buy a whole bag of masa harina for one holiday recipe and I have almost the whole bag leftover. Anybody have any words of wisdom for making tortillas at home?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Hey ladies! Thanks for bumping this up for me! Since I'm home sick today...and my husband was so kind to buy me a iPad for my b-day...I'm going to lay in bed and read this thread from the beginning. I'll try to post some of my favourite recipes too...probably not today...but over the next few weeks. Stay tuned
Old 01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
FitDay Member

I'm always interested in new recipes. Feel better soon, Debbie!

Cassie, thanks for your kind words. I did have most of the recipes I posted on my hard drive already, so it was not much work at all to cut and paste them here.

I don't have any tortilla recipes. Hope someone here has some.

I buy my high fiber, low carb tortillas pre-made --the Xtreme Wellness Ones. By the way, they changed their recipe a while back after we had voiced our dislike of the altered fat and protein counts. I love the new formula--both the taste and the restored fat and protein counts that fit better into my plan.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
I buy my high fiber, low carb tortillas pre-made --the Xtreme Wellness Ones. By the way, they changed their recipe a while back after we had voiced our dislike of the altered fat and protein counts. I love the new formula--both the taste and the restored fat and protein counts that fit better into my plan.
I remember!! I have some of those here now and noticed they did revamp the new recipe a bit. That was funny. I'm glad you like the improvement.

I probably would stick with those, but I have a whole bag of masa harina, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. The recipe is simple, it's getting them flat and cooked I am not sure about. I'll probably try Thursday and will let you know how it goes.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

Smile

Nice Recipe Post thanks for share..