Notices

Diet Soda???

Old 01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Soda???

Is it OK to drink diet soda? In moderation, of course...
I love Diet Pepsi. Many years ago I drank alot of regular pepsi, but now am just fine with diet. However, I have heard mixed reviews about diet soda.

Of course, the nutrition label says 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sugars, etc. Sodium seems to be the only thing there. I used to drink 4-5, 16-20 glasses a day. But, since starting FitDay on 1/4/2010, I drink 1-2 glasses and the rest of the time, water or 1 cup of coffee in the AM. Is this OK? Or could this negatively affect my weight loss efforts??

Any advise is appreciatted.
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
FitDay Member

I try to stay away from it completely. I will only drink one every 3 or 4 weeks (diet Dr.Pepper). I have noticed that when I drink it, I wake up in the morning and my fingers are swollen, so I know it makes me retain water. I don't mean a little water either. I can tell because my wedding band is so loose from losing weight that I can barely keep it on. After I drink pop, my fingers are so swollen that it leaves an indentation on my finger. That is a big change going from falling off to being tight. I think it is best just to do without it. Water is much better for you anyway
Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

All artifical sweeteners are very bad ,you would be much better off drinking something with real sugar in it unless you are diabetic.As far as swollen fingers go that is from the Free Glumatic Acid or MSG in it ,you should read the post that pertains to artifical sweeteners just below this one,I have 2 links in there that are very helpful understand our food that we eat now days.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Washington Times ran "Diet Soda: Doorway to Weight Gain"

By STUART DIAMOND on Jan. 12, 2009

Here's an except:
Diet soda isn't the silver bullet to weight loss it's often made out to be. Nor does it prevent weight gain. In fact, drinking diet soda is strongly correlated with overweight and obesity.

Diet soda has 5 calories or fewer per serving, of course, but emerging research seems to suggest that drinking sugary-tasting beverages, even artificially sweetened ones, appears to develop a preference in the human body for a whole range of other sweet things. And when we consume sweeter cereals, snacks, breads and desserts, we tend to consume more calories, and eventually put on pounds.

A 2005 study, by Sharon P. Fowler and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, showed that people who drink diet soda gain weight - lots of it. In fact, the research found, "There was a 41 percent increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day."

See the whole article at:
Diet Soda: Doorway to Weight Gain - Take Off the Weight - Washington Times
Old 01-30-2010, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KimmyRocks
By STUART DIAMOND on Jan. 12, 2009

Here's an except:
Diet soda isn't the silver bullet to weight loss it's often made out to be. Nor does it prevent weight gain. In fact, drinking diet soda is strongly correlated with overweight and obesity.

Diet soda has 5 calories or fewer per serving, of course, but emerging research seems to suggest that drinking sugary-tasting beverages, even artificially sweetened ones, appears to develop a preference in the human body for a whole range of other sweet things. And when we consume sweeter cereals, snacks, breads and desserts, we tend to consume more calories, and eventually put on pounds.

A 2005 study, by Sharon P. Fowler and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, showed that people who drink diet soda gain weight - lots of it. In fact, the research found, "There was a 41 percent increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day."

See the whole article at:
Diet Soda: Doorway to Weight Gain - Take Off the Weight - Washington Times
Thats exactly right,and thats what I try to tell people thats drink that stuff and they look at me like im from mars or something.LOL
Old 01-31-2010, 04:30 AM
FitDay Member

> drinking diet soda is strongly correlated with overweight and obesity

People who are overweight tend to drink 'diet' drinks - well thats a surprise.

Nothing at all wrong with drinking diet drinks. Far better than drinking the 'original' versions. Better still drink lots of water, or coffee or tea.

There are lots of conspiracy theory websites on artificial sweetners but that is all they are.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM
FitDay Member

As someone who drinks a lot of diet soda (3 or 4 cans a day) and is also extremely overweight, it's hard for me to say there is not a possible connection between the consumption of diet soda and weight gain.

But personally, I don't blame diet soda, nor do I think it causes me to eat more.

I think the only connection is that when you are overweight, you try to eat/drink anything you can to prevent weight gain. So you drink diet soda because its an easiest alternative. Therefore, over weight people drink a lot of diet soda..

Of course drinking water is always the better option, but if you are choosing between diet drinks or sugar drinks, I don't see how anyone could favor sugar drinks.

But that is just my opinion
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

I was a heavy, heavy diet coke drinker until about 2 months ago. I would literally drink at least 2 liters of it a day. I always figured there wasn't any harm because it was "diet". Then I began reading a lot about aspartame. The history of aspartame is pretty scary. Not only is it a poison, but it also confuses your body. Your body doesn't know what to do with artificial sweeteners because they are man-made. The result is that you end up craving sweets and carbs.
I used to hear people say how bad it was for me all the time, but I never cared. However, the craving the sweets and carbs thing really hit home for me. It was VERY difficult to quit, but I have been soda free for a couple of months. Though I still love chocolate and pasta, I definitely notice I don't "need" them as much. I also feel like I have way more energy. Most people would attribute this to the fact that I've started to exercise and eat better. However, I didn't really start that until about a month ago. The first month the only change I made was the no soda. I am now a true believer about all the negative things you hear about aspartame.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 AM
FitDay Member

> Not only is it a poison, but it also confuses your body. Your body doesn't
> know what to do with artificial sweeteners because they are man-made

I'm really sorry you have been lured into the aspartame conspiracy theory. That is all it is. The websites spout a lot of pseudo-science most of which is nonsense. Of course drinking water is best, but don't give up on diet soda just 'cos you have read rubbish on a few websites.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
FitDay Member

I definitely respect your opinion, but I believe it because of how I felt when I drank it vs. how I feel without it. I'm not saying anyone else has to believe this....it's just been my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.