FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What are you eating... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3146-what-you-eating.html)

collegefbfan8898 04-30-2011 11:26 PM

Friday had a good breakfast: Some pineapple, 2 boiled eggs, skim milk. The rest of the day was shot due to son's birthday party.

Getting ready to have oatmeal, small protein shake, and some grapes. Maybe a boiled egg or two.

Thanks.

cjohnson728 05-01-2011 10:51 AM

Tonight I tried a new recipe for meatballs stuffed with fresh mozzarella, with marinara sauce over polenta and a big salad on the side.

We liked the meatballs and sauce; not so crazy about the polenta.

And for dessert, yesterday's No Pudge Fudge Brownies :o.

RunbikeSki 05-01-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by cjohnson728 (Post 45236)
We liked the meatballs and sauce; not so crazy about the polenta.

:o.

Ah polenta... grits at twice the price :p.

My husband is from Boston, and I am originally a southern girl (as in Virginia) and grew up eating grits. While we were still in VA I couldn't get DH near a bowl of grits, let alone actually taste them. When polenta became all the rage out here in CA a number of years ago, he was all over them. When I pointed out that "polenta" was just italian for "grits" he got all defensive and totally disagreed with me.

It wasn't hard to prove the similarity between these 2 ground corn porridges, but he still refuses to beleive that he is just eating high-fallutin' grits with his perfectly grilled lamb chop :D.

quinnesec 05-02-2011 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki (Post 45248)
Ah polenta... grits at twice the price :p.

My husband is from Boston, and I am originally a southern girl (as in Virginia) and grew up eating grits. While we were still in VA I couldn't get DH near a bowl of grits, let alone actually taste them. When polenta became all the rage out here in CA a number of years ago, he was all over them. When I pointed out that "polenta" was just italian for "grits" he got all defensive and totally disagreed with me.

It wasn't hard to prove the similarity between these 2 ground corn porridges, but he still refuses to beleive that he is just eating high-fallutin' grits with his perfectly grilled lamb chop :D.

Nooooooo....

They are not the same. (I can see my Italian cooking mentor clutching her chest right now! LOL) Yes, they are both ground corn and yes they have a similar texture, but that's where it ends. Grits are based with hominy; white corn soaked in lye or lime which changes the taste and texture significantly.

Grits are generally finely ground and creamy. Polenta is much coarser and generally made from yellow corn which changes the flavor, as well.

The flavor is much different. If it tastes the same, I'd change restaurants. :D

It's kind of like saying green olives taste the same as black olives because they are both olives.

I don't understand why polenta would be pricey, either. Polenta is a very rustic, peasant food in Italy meant to stretch a meal when there were a lot of mouths to feed, much like rice is used in other areas of the world.

sw07 05-02-2011 08:14 AM

Had some left over grilled Ahi from last night, mixed in a little olive oil based mayo, plain yellow mustard, shredded raw spinach and some green onions.
Made my own tuna spread on toasted whole wheat bread with a glass of chocolate silk (soy milk).
I've got a couple of tangerines for my pre dinner snack around 3:30.

collegefbfan8898 05-02-2011 12:22 PM

Breakfast:
Yogurt and oatmeal
Water

Lunch:
Yogurt, banana, and grapes (making up for b-day party Saturday)
Water

Supper:
Salmon cakes made with whole wheat bread crumbs and egg whites
Sweet potato
Broccoli
Corn on cob

sw07 05-03-2011 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898 (Post 45338)
Breakfast:
Yogurt and oatmeal
Water

Lunch:
Yogurt, banana, and grapes (making up for b-day party Saturday)
Water

Supper:
Salmon cakes made with whole wheat bread crumbs and egg whites
Sweet potato
Broccoli
Corn on cob

Wow! Talk about a steady diet of nothing.....

My breakfast:
I had a veggie omelet (3 eggs, mush,red & green bell peps & green onions) w/ 2 pcs. of whole wheat toast and 1/2 cup black beans.
3 cups of Coffee, and 1 homemade carrot cake cupcake without frosting.

collegefbfan8898 05-03-2011 04:11 AM

Well, sorry bout it not being a great day of meals with cupcakes with frosting.:rolleyes: My son's 4th birthday was on Saturday, and I was trying to cut back a little bit to make up for the cheating that day.

Today
Breakfast:
Oatmeal
Yogurt
Banana
Boiled Egg
Coffee

Lunch:
Whole wheat pasta
Chicken breast
Broccoli

Water with everything.

sarkai90 05-03-2011 04:56 AM

Breakfast was coffee with almond milk, egg whites with light cheese and spinach stuffed into a pita (Alternative brand, higher protein and fiber), with 1/2 a cup of unsweetened applesauce.

Lunch is going to be a 100 calorie tortilla with 1/2 a cup low fat Mexican cheese blend, greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), and fresh salsa. Side of raw veggies- carrots, broccoli, and snow peas.

Afternoon snack is a banana and a Kashi granola bar.

It's Asian night at my house... my daughter's favorite dinner. :) Chicken breast with a sesame ginger marinade, modified fried rice (brown rice, very easy on oil, lots of veggies), and edamame.

Too high on the sodium, but it all fits within my macros and calorie budget perfectly. I need to find some lower sodium options for Asian night... it always does me in!

collegefbfan8898 05-03-2011 10:42 AM

Supper:
Rice mixed with broccoli and chicken
Water

Snack later:
Popcorn- not the microwave kind either