Notices

Super Bowl Party Recipies

Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
FitDay Member

Question Super Bowl Party Recipies

We have a tradition of hosting Super Bowl Parties at our house including a full spread. In the past this would include wings, pizza, chili, nachos etc. I am looking for some ideas for this year that are more heart healthy and will allow for a satisfying experience with out the huge calories.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hmmm--well, chili isn't really bad, you could make veggie or turkey chili if you want to tone down the fat. Pizza can be made relatively healthy, I eat my own pizza several times a week using whole wheat pitas for the crust, sauce and part-skim mozzarella, very tasty! Wings, too, in moderation are not too bad--of course it's what you cover them with/dip them in that's the killer.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

I made baked "oven" fries.

PS, does anyone know how to count "wings" in the calorie counter? When people have parties with the little fried chicken "wings" aren't they usually halves of the actual wing of the bird? So my question is when fitday says one "wing" is 80-90 calories, is that the little party wing or is it the whole wing of the bird?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

I'm going to second "chili isn't too bad for you especially when you make it with turkey" from Michael.
Make your own pizza is also a good one, we use turkey pepperoni or chicken instead of regular pepperoni.
Veggie tray with low fat/cal dip
Fruit tray with Greek yogurt dip
Do the nachos "nacho bar style" and put the fixings out, and then you can opt for a taco salad and skip the chips
Turkey dogs
Deviled eggs, just use lite mayo instead of regular
Mushroom caps stuffed with ff cottage cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad or crab salad.
Flavored rice cakes instead of potato chips
Lite beer
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Super Bowlicious Healthier Deviled Eggs

Super Bowlicious Healthier Deviled Eggs

12 hard boiled eggs, Split in half
Discard 6 of the yolks

Yields 24 egg white halves …set these aside for filling

For the filling, Mix together:

6 hard boiled egg yolks
½ cup cottage cheese
And mix in any of the following for flavoring….
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, hot sauce, mustard, salsa, or pickle relish

Item Amt Unit Cals Fat Carbs Prot
Egg whites, hard boiled 24 Egg halves 205 1.2g 2.4g 43g
Egg yolks, hard boiled 6 ea. 360 30g 4.8g 14.4g
Cottage cheese, 4% milkfat 1/2 cup 110 4g 4g 13g

RECIPE BATCH TOTALS 675 35.2g 11.2g 70.4g

PER SERVING TOTALS 1 Filled egg half = 29cals,1.5g fat, .5g carb, 3g prot

To compare this recipe to a traditional deviled egg recipe google:
Calories in Deviled Egg - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default humus with baked pita chips

I like to make my own humus to avoid some of the preservatives used in the commercial versions, and I like mine very lemony and garlicy. I don't have a recipe handy, but epicurious.com has serveral. It is also a little less expensive (as long as you already have food processor!) than buying it from the grocery. But these days the grocery has lots of great options.

For baked chips I also make those. Get a package of whole wheat pita and separate the halves into 2 circles. Lightly brush the insides of the pita circles with olive oil, sprinkle with a little powdered garlic, parmesean cheese, and/or herbs. Cut into 6 or 8 triangles per circle Pop in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. I don't usually bother flipping them, but you can if you want really crispy chips. I like them when the are crisp but still have a little chewiness to them.

More fiber and less calories than corn chips, and somehow I find them more satisfying so I don't tend to eat them by the shovel full (maybe it is because they don't come from a bag???)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Chili that's healthy but good

I promise you want to try this chili recipe. Its thick and tasty. Of course tweak to your taste but you get the idea. For every pound of beef or turkey you match it with each vegetable.

1lb grass-fed ground beef
1 onion
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 diced tomato
1 can of diced green chilis
1 can of refried black beans

Directions: Cut up the vegetables. Brown the beef with lemon pepper and sea salt. Mix all of the above ingredients in a large pot. Add seasoning and sauce from list below to desired taste and consistency. Cover and simmer on med-low for 20 min. Stir every 5 min. Serves 8.

Seasonings: lemon pepper, ground peppercorn, chili powder, paprika, sea salt
Sauces: worcestershire, chili sauce, bbq sauce, salsa
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Excellent Ideas...

Thank you all for your ideas, and creativity....