Recipes for a cooking-phobe? :)

Community
Notices

Recipes for a cooking-phobe? :)

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
These are all such wonderful ideas!

Thank you SO MUCH for telling me veggie order. When I've asked my friends, they were like "oh just do them in the order they cook!" and I ask "what order?" and they're like "uhhhh the thick ones first!" My response was: My huge problem is veggies. I figured that potatoes etc. should go first, but I have no idea about things like...peppers, onions, etc. The ones in the middle. There should be a list! "Common vegetables and the time it takes to cook them!" (...There probably is a list and I just have been too lazy to look...) I tend towards overcooking. I know that spinach etc. often goes last as it only takes a minute to wilt. Other than that, I get stuck. I guess I could experiment and time it, but I don't want to waste nice veggies. I've been buying the steam-in-a-bag ones for now and letting the microwave do the work more often than not, but it's not very satisfying in an accomplishment type of way.
They taught us vegetable cooking in grade 8 back in the early 70s. I have long since lost my list, but I foud a chart for you.
TLC Cooking "Vegetable-Cooking Chart"
Old 01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Thanks Rainbow

Even us old timers can use this!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by taubele
YIKES! That's a great story though, thank you. I have totally burned chicken stuck onto the saucepan and the sauce-type-thing I was making (I don't quite remember...) was about the color of dried blood, this weird brown...

Makes me feel not alone, so thanks. And thanks for the recipe! I'm writing all of these down. Thank you for explaining reducing, as I did not know what the term meant before.

I am sorry if it sounds that way, wasn't my intention. I do seriously need help. I haven't had too many people believe in me during the course of my life, and he's been a huge part of helping me come into my own. If I speak about him a lot, it's because he's very important to me and means the world - we mention those we love.

I was honestly just looking for some easier recipes to ease me into the routine of a kitchen and common cooking styles I probably don't know about. My repertoire of cooking usually consists of sauteeing/grilling meat or making one-pan dishes, or throwing lumps of things in a casserole dish and hoping it turns out alright (usually it ends up dry). Only last week did I learn how to cook an egg, and I've only been in the kitchen for about 2 months or so. My veggie chopping is a mess (but I try) and I have about 2 pots and two pans total.

In any case, I apologize if my tone was not as intended
There is nothing to apologize for. I should not have made the comment. I am sorry. We are all in this together.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi this is an easy reciepe i orignally found in a student cook book and then fiddled around with, it makes enough for 4 people
Ingredients

vegetable oil
1 large onion(finely chopped)
1 garlic clove(crushed)
750g stewing steak(or whatever beef you would use for a stew etc)
2ish tbsp paprika
400g tin chopped tomatoes
tomato puree (1tbsp?)
1 large red pepper
175g mushrooms(chopped)
600ml beef stock
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp water

Method

1. heat the oil in a large saucepan, Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for about 3-4 mins

2. Cut the beef into chucks if it isnt already cut, then add to the pot with the onion and garlic and cook on a high heat till just browned. Add the paprika and stir well( you might need to add more at the end of the cooking time, if you like a bit more kick)

3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, mushrooms and red pepper, cook for about 2 mins.

4. Add the stock and then bring to the boil, once boiled turn the heat down and place a lid on the saucepan.

5. leave to simmer for about 1.5-2hrs or until the meat is tender.

6. blend the cornflour and the water together and add to the pot stirring well untill the sauce is thickened. Cook for 1 min.

7. serve with potatoes or rice
Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rainbow24
They taught us vegetable cooking in grade 8 back in the early 70s. I have long since lost my list, but I foud a chart for you.
TLC Cooking "Vegetable-Cooking Chart"
I will use that chart all the time. Print it out and stick it in the kitchen.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread, a friend of mine who had been in a car accident unfortunately passed away earlier this week, and I've been a little preoccupied...

psycho-hope: That recipe sounds delicious! Someday I intend to get ahold of my grandma's beef stew recipe and try it too -- it's legendary!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi taubele,
I am so sorry for your loss.
How horrible to lose a friend so suddenly and senselessly

Sometimes I thing that the automobile is the worst invention we ever came up with. It may get us from point A to point B, but the cost in lives and resources just isn't worth it.

You have my sympathy and prayers.

Pam
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
Hi taubele,
I am so sorry for your loss.
How horrible to lose a friend so suddenly and senselessly

Sometimes I thing that the automobile is the worst invention we ever came up with. It may get us from point A to point B, but the cost in lives and resources just isn't worth it.

You have my sympathy and prayers.

Pam
Thanks very much Pam. I appreciate it. It was senseless, and he was a wonderful person. I try to console myself that the brightest stars in the sky are unfortunately the shooting ones, and sometimes they just can't stay with us very long.

~Terri