Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Diet Soda??? >

Diet Soda???

Community
Notices

Diet Soda???

Old 01-14-2011, 02:58 AM
FitDay Member

The bottom line is when you're trying to lose weight, it's better to drink diet soda than regular soda. After you get thin, you can give up diet soda. In the mean time, don't sweat the small stuff. It makes it so much harder when you deprive yourself of things like diet soda. Isn't it hard enough? When I lose the most weight, I drink a lot of water and diet soda to help keep me feeling less hungry.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mchedester
The bottom line is when you're trying to lose weight, it's better to drink diet soda than regular soda. After you get thin, you can give up diet soda. In the mean time, don't sweat the small stuff. It makes it so much harder when you deprive yourself of things like diet soda. Isn't it hard enough? When I lose the most weight, I drink a lot of water and diet soda to help keep me feeling less hungry.
We all do what we have to do. For some like myself, diet soda makes us hungry. For other like you, just the opposite. There really are few absolutes in this process and each body is different. Keeps things interesting!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 PM
FitDay Member

I'm neither a doctor nor chemist, but your swelling sounds more like an allergic reaction than inflamation. I've noticed in myself that certain allergens tend to impact me more severely if I've been unexposed to them for a while. IE: I have a very mild cat dander allergy; so mild I live with three of them and do just fine. I left on vaccation for two weeks, came back, and couldn't breath right for days.

You may wish to have that checked next time you visit your doctor to see if you've developed any particular over sensitivity to the stuff in your drink. Just my two cents.

[Edit: I wasn't paying attention tot he date on this thread. XD]

Last edited by Vinomadd; 01-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

I agree about the dangers of artificial sweeteners. My husband is diabetic and eats sugar-free desserts, etc. It only creates a craving for more sweet foods. I finally convinced him to cut out all of the sugar-free foods. A little sugar in moderation is ok.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:44 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Pop diet or otherwise is a bad idea

Go to Dr. Oz's website....pop of any kind can mess you up big time and depletes water, vitamins and minerals ~ diet pop has aspartame etc. which is carcenogenic - go for a smoothie or water with lemon or lime wegges really refreshing
Old 02-03-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Katherine2011
Go to Dr. Oz's website....pop of any kind can mess you up big time and depletes water, vitamins and minerals ~ diet pop has aspartame etc. which is carcenogenic - go for a smoothie or water with lemon or lime wegges really refreshing
Originally Posted by yauncin
Hmmm--well, it may not be THAT bad for you, but it's probably not THAT good for you, either. Common sense seems to indicate that, like most anything, in moderation it is OK. I'll admit I do eat three or four low cal/low fat fruit yogurts a week that have Aspartame in them. Other than that, I don't use it.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

I would have some on occasion but have basically given it up. It makes me feel bloated. The last time I wanted one it actually tasted kind of gross.

As far as the artificial sweeteners, I was using Splenda but switched to Truvia. I ran out of it, decided to use some Splenda that was stashed in the cabinet. I just realized today that the annoying headache I have had for the last 4 days is from the Splenda. I completely forgot that was the reason I stopped using it about a year ago!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

I don't drink soda at all. It's just empty calories. It's pretty much the same for alcohol. Oh and with regard to soda I try to stay away from caffeine.

Originally Posted by mecompco
Hmmm--well, it may not be THAT bad for you, but it's probably not THAT good for you, either. Common sense seems to indicate that, like most anything, in moderation it is OK. I'll admit I do eat three or four low cal/low fat fruit yogurts a week that have Aspartame in them. Other than that, I don't use it.

Regards,
Michael
I don't like misinformation. I'm not saying it is good for you.

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I would have some on occasion but have basically given it up. It makes me feel bloated. The last time I wanted one it actually tasted kind of gross.

As far as the artificial sweeteners, I was using Splenda but switched to Truvia. I ran out of it, decided to use some Splenda that was stashed in the cabinet. I just realized today that the annoying headache I have had for the last 4 days is from the Splenda. I completely forgot that was the reason I stopped using it about a year ago!
LOL!

Well I try to avoid artificial sweetener. I'm one of those people who just uses the actual ingredient. If it calls for sugar I use sugar. Same goes for butter, mayonnaise, etc. There are two exceptions to this rule. I have a glass or two of sugar free Kool-aid at night and I eat turkey bacon. I know it's heavily processed but it tastes almost like bacon.