Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Sweet potatoes

Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kohsamui
Q. The food search entry shows “sweet potatoes, cooked, candied,....” Does “candied” mean baked until it seems to bleed a sugary syrup? (That’s how my wife like to prepare them.)
Q. Any tips for finding the nutritional values of baked sweet potato skins? (No adhering flesh.)
Candied Yams have a butter and sugar syrup added to them. It's a Southern American dish that makes the sweet potatoes even sweeter. Sometimes they're even topped with marshmallows.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Yam, cooked, boiled, drained, or baked, with salt
Old 05-21-2019, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

sweet potatoes and i go way back. senior year of high school i aspirated sweet potato and got pneumonia for two weeks lol
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Sweet potato

I don´t suggest that you add sugar to potatoes if you want to live a long and happy life =)
Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Yup, seemed like added sugar is in the mix for the candied ones. I know it's done mostly to have the delicacy last longer or preserve them, but it doesn't help much with any healthy diet.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Everything in moderation. If you want to add some sugar to your potatoes, that's fine. Just watch your overall caloric intake.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:23 PM
FitDay Member

I used to make smoothies, or eat them baked in the oven. It has a strange texture, so I don't really like it by itself. It can be whipped in a blender with almond milk. You can also add it to chicken meals.