FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   need good dinner ideas (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/2013-need-good-dinner-ideas.html)

countryrider804 09-19-2010 11:31 AM

need good dinner ideas

What are some of your favorite healthy dinners? I'm looking for ideas because frankly my downfall of the day is dinner. I'm a sucker for rolls/bread and really need to cut out carbs.

I hate seafood, so I won't be making any fish.

Lizzycritter 09-19-2010 11:35 AM

Fake fried chicken (or pork chops)

Crush some corn flakes, add garlic or seasoned pepper or whatever you like. Take some chicken breasts or lean pork chops, dip the meat in flour, then egg (one scrambled), then the seasoned corn flakes. Place on a cookie sheet generously sprayed with cooking spray, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Comes out nice and crispy.

Buttoni 09-19-2010 11:49 AM

I do low-carb. These are some recipe sites you might find helpful in breaking any food boredom.

Buttoni's Blog (my site)
Living Atkins Everyday
Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home (* means Atkins Induction friendly recipe)
Atkins Recipes - Course
Low Carb Luxury: Recipes
Main Index - LowCarbFriends Recipes
Our_Atkins_Recipes : Messages : 484-513 of 513
Healthy Indulgences

almeeker 09-19-2010 12:13 PM

Here are my favorite low-cal, healthy, fam friendly meals:

chili
chicken veggy stew
beef stew
smothered steak soup (French onion soup with steak tips and mushrooms)
chicken stir fry
broccoli beef stir fry
taco salad (everybody else gets tacos, I skip the shells and make mine salad)
grilled chicken
kabobs
omelets
tuna melts
steak & eggs
shepherd's pie (with sweet potatoes on top)
bruschetta
pork tenderloin with coleslaw and stewed apples.

Well I gotta go, apparently WWIII has started in my kitchen....

countryrider804 09-19-2010 01:31 PM

Thanks so much for these recipes! They all sound so delicious!!! I'm not very creative in thinking of new meals so I appreciate your ideas! Keep them coming! :D

almeeker 09-20-2010 03:06 AM

I've heard that Rachel Ray has a new low-cal cookbook that's getting rave reviews. I don't have it yet, but I love my copy of "365 No Repeats" and a lot of the recipes can be made lower cal by using reduced fat cheese or fat free sour cream, sweet potatoes instead of potatoes etc. etc. I love bread too, so to keep on track I allow 2 servings of whole grain, low-cal grained based carbs per day (to abstain completely would be to set myself up for a hard binge later). So I get 35 calorie/slice whole wheat toast at breakfast and a 100 calorie whole grain slim bun with either lunch or dinner. Another good bread-like option is a quesadilla made with low-cal whole wheat tortillas and reduced fat cheese, just the perfect thing to dip in turkey chili, believe me. The fake fried chicken (or pork chops) in lizzycritters post is very similar to an RR recipe called "Honey Nut Chicken Sticks", these are great hot or cold and almost the perfect thing leftover and diced up on salad.

coastalcass 09-20-2010 02:40 PM

I think a fun way to break it up is by stuffing things...peppers, cabbage, mushrooms, etc. One easy one that can be made a hundred ways is stuffed zuchini boats. You can make mexican flavor by stuffing with taco meat, or greek by adding some ground olives and red onions to lamb or beef, italian with ground beef and marinara sauce, etc.

Cut the zuchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh to make the boat. Chop and sautee the flesh with garlic, meat, and other seasonings. Stuff back into the boats and bake. Maybe sprinkle a little grated cheese on top!

AmySmiles28 09-20-2010 03:07 PM

Stir fry is one of my favorite go to meals. Just buy one of those stir fried vegetable bags found in the frozen food isle, get yourself chicken, pork or steak and slice into bite size cubes. Spray a non stick pan with Pam, or use a tablespoon of olive oil, throw in some chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic (Whatever you have on hand works!), and low sodium soy sauce to the pan, then cook the meat to your liking and toss with the bagged veggies. Some people put rice in with it when they make it, but because of measuring carbs, I usually cook brown rice on the side.

A yummy and healthy dessert for after your meal....

Peel and core an apple per person you need to serve. Spray the apple with I can't believe its not butter inside and out. In a small dish measure out 2-3 tablespoons of low fat granola per serving, add some sugar free vanilla flavoring and toss, then stuff the apples with the granola. Place the apples on a backing dish and sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon. Bake in the oven at 375 until the apples are tender. I usually serve mine with nonfat plain yogurt and then drizzled with sugar free maple syrup! It's devine and good for you too!

wildsmi73 09-26-2010 11:44 AM

Pasta Arrabbiata or "Angry Pasta"

In a pan with some olive oil, add diced garlic & jalapeno pepper. Cook until garlic pieces brown & take off the stove eye to cool a bit. Take a can of whole tomatoes, drain the juice out, and crush the tomatoes with your hand into the pan with the garlic & jalapenos. Turn the stove eye back on & simmer. Top some cooked penne pasta with this, garnish with some fresh parsley and shredded parmesan & enjoy! Lowfat, healthy & delicious! WARNING: this recipe is spicy!

a1c0l33n 10-06-2010 08:51 PM

you can try the recipes in this sites:
Low Carb Diet Recipes collection - Taste.com.au
Simply Recipes: Low Carb Recipes

tandoorichicken 10-07-2010 10:50 AM

Made some kale and broccoli stir fry last week, it was delicious.

Just used about a tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet, 6-8 cloves garlic depending on your preference (I LOVE garlic) then chopped kale, broccoli florets, red bell peppers and one thai chili if you don't mind the heat (most of the spiciness gets cooked out anyways). Wilt the kale a little with a few teaspoons of soy sauce and take it off the heat just as the kale is getting really flimsy, or if you start singe-ing the broccoli.

Serve over rice. It's delicious.

Jenna_66 10-07-2010 03:27 PM

Made this the other day and it was the BOMB!!! Take 2teaspoons of whole wheat flour and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning take chicken cut it up in chunks and toss in the flour and seasonings. Throw in a crockpot with 1 green & 1red pepper cut in slices and 1 jar salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours server over some brown rice and sprinkle with low fat cheddar cheese or cheese of your liking.

pottersirus 10-13-2010 10:30 AM

how about some lentil crepes !!!!

my most fav one is this... soak equal quantities of green gram, brown rice, split chickpeas, pigeon peas for an hour or so and then grind them together with some ginger and green chilli pepper ( to add sum spicyness) ... i add some some chopped cilantro and cumin seeds too to the batter..... i usually make crepes at medium heat with a closed lid on a non-stick pan.. so they tend to absorb little to no oil....

u can add or remove one or more of the lentils... the more ... the tastier :)

grind a bunch of cilantro with little ginger n garlic .... add some salt n a squeeze of lemon.... it makes a great dip...

also saute whole lentils wid sum paprika powder and grind it with little water n add sum salt .... its a gr8 dip for celery n carrots !!

hope u njoy them :)

stu33 10-14-2010 05:47 AM

my wife made this last night...was soooo filling

Alright, this might not sound the healthiest, but bear with me. We try to make meals that the whole family will eat (8yo boy, 2yo boy, 16yo female monster, the wife and myself) on a budget. This is so filling that you'll only eat 1 serving of it, which clocks in at 336 calories.

Amy's Meat Roll Thing

30 oz Ground Beef (we used the 83% stuff, you can use the lower fat stuff if you want, it'll reduce the calories)
5 oz Reduced Fat Feta Cheese (the little plastic container at Aldi's)
2 oz Fresh Baby Spinach
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Thyme
Dried Parsley

First, take the ground beef and flatten out between 2 long pieces of saran wrap (spritz the wrap with water). Flatten it until it's about the width of the wrap, and about a foot long or a little more. It'll be between 1/2 and 1/4 inch thick. Use a rolling pin. Once it's flat, lift the upper piece of wrap and season it to taste with all the seasonings listed. Then, add the spinach in a single layer, covering all but the last inch or so of meat. Do the same with the Feta. Roll it up, starting at the end opposite the uncovered end. Lightly season the outside of the roll with salt and pepper. Bake at 375 for 30 to 40 minutes.

Once it's done, cut into 6 even pieces. Each piece will be about 336 calories. You won't need to eat more than one, I promise. This would probably be good with a little simple sauce, maybe a tzatziki-type sauce, too. You could probably do this really nicely with some ground lamb or a ground beef/ground pork combo.

We served this with a spinach salad, made of just spinach, some red onion, a little feta, some crumbled bacon and red wine vinegar. One of the best meals I've had in a while.