FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Everything Protein Powder (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/183-everything-protein-powder.html)

mstasik 01-18-2010 05:15 PM

Everything Protein Powder

I recently began working out at a health club, with the hopes of dropping about 75 lbs. I have a desk job and have been trying to watch what I'm eating. I generally eat about 1800-2000 calories per day down from about 2400 calories and workout about an hour every other day.

I am interested in finding out more information about whey protein used for weight loss. I have found some articles that suggest I have about 180 grams of whey protein per day. I also have seen articles warning about consuming too much and some of the problems one could face. Does anyone have any suggestions about how much whey protein would be appropriate?

I'd also be interested to see if others have had success with a similar strategy.

lamafri 01-18-2010 10:01 PM

My goal is to stay at the 40-30-30 spit for carbs, fat, and protein. One tool I use is a whey protein shake in the morning. I can't say that is the best way to go but I have not had any ill effects, except that the stuff does not really taste that good. I use the GNC brand vanilla, one scoop to a cup of milk and a tablespoon of fiber.

Williams45 01-19-2010 04:29 PM

A general bodybuilding principle for losing fat and retaining muscle is to take in roughly 1 to 1 and 1/2 grams of protein for each pound of lean muscle mass you have.

gi8e7oi825 01-21-2010 02:46 PM

I'm on a 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat split on ~1500 calories in an attempt to lose 20 lbs in 6-10 weeks, while also not losing muscle mass! We'll see how that goes.

I find whey gross with just water, or even 50/50 water & skim milk. For over a year I've been using only skim milk which helped the taste, but just this week I began blending in one large egg which improved taste A LOT! Plus it's just extra protein!! The only two flavors I use are Vanilla Ice Cream (like 99% of the time) and Extreme Chocolate by Optimum Nutrition.

RastaToo 01-24-2010 03:39 AM

Max Protein Shake at GNC

I use Max Protein from GNC. It only has 118 calories and 3 grams of carbohydrates with 22 grams of protein. The only one I have found that tastes good and is low carb.

taccuosti 01-26-2010 01:59 PM

I swear, you can spend hours each day researching what you could or should be eating, and in what mix.

I was keeping my carbs under 30%, but now I've switched up to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat). I work otu 4 - 6 times a week, and I've put on muscle, but I havent' lost as much weight as I would like, so it's time to do something different.

I generally work out in the morning, and was taking either whey or whey/soy protein with a cup of non-fat Lactaid milk just before working out. Sometimes I mixed it into a cup of coffee - the chocolate ended up tasting pretty good that way.

But the whey really bothers my stomach, so now I'm trying a serving (6oz) of Chobani non-fat plain Greek yogurt. 140 cals, 14 grams protein, 20 carbs. I still have a small glass of milk in the morning before the workout, but I'm going to try to cut out as much other dairy as possible.

jrburchill 01-26-2010 07:03 PM

I've tried GNC protein shakes before and they are nasty. Right now I get EAS from sams club since its a little cheap. Or Optimum Nutrition if I find a good deal.

And for putting an egg in your protein shake, I hope you don't get sick from salmonella poisoning.

Also if you don't like a certain protein, keep trying til you find one. I go through a five pound bag a month so I keep my options open to different brands and flavors.

01gt4.6 02-08-2010 08:49 PM

I also have a desk job and recently dropped a good bit of weight (about 40#'s in a pretty short period of time), it may not seem like a lot but I was only at ~210# to begin with... so I dropped close to 25% of my body weight.

**disclaimer** ;) I'm no doctor but this is my opinion.

IMO Protein should be used to preserve or gain muscle. It's good to use it while losing weight b/c you don't want to lose too much muscle while shedding fat, which can easilly happen.

The rule of thumb that I go by is 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Also try to spread that through out the day as your body can only absorb (use) so much at a time. Taking too much at one time will probably result is you just pissing it out.

I use GNC Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60, it's costly but has a great BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profile. I think I'm about to start adding a Casein, which is a slow Protein that is good to take before bed time.

I try to stick to a 45/35/20 ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat)

Hope this helps.

farr1022 02-08-2010 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 2879)
I also have a desk job and recently dropped a good bit of weight (about 40#'s in a pretty short period of time), it may not seem like a lot but I was only at ~210# to begin with... so I dropped close to 25% of my body weight.

**disclaimer** ;) I'm no doctor but this is my opinion.

IMO Protein should be used to preserve or gain muscle. It's good to use it while losing weight b/c you don't want to lose too much muscle while shedding fat, which can easilly happen.

The rule of thumb that I go by is 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Also try to spread that through out the day as your body can only absorb (use) so much at a time. Taking too much at one time will probably result is you just pissing it out.

I use GNC Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60, it's costly but has a great BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profile. I think I'm about to start adding a Casein, which is a slow Protein that is good to take before bed time.

I try to stick to a 45/35/20 ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat)

Hope this helps.

I agree. 1g for each pound of body weight. I have been told this a few times in the past few weeks and went out and EAS Whey protein. Is it tasty? No! I simply put two scoops into a glass of cold water, stir and chug it down. I do this twice per day for an additional 100g of protein. Keeps me feeling full as well.

siliconbased 02-13-2010 07:06 PM

About two years ago, I tried, on a whim, the Body Fortress stuff. Vanilla, with the 8 Grams of BCAA's - and I usually blend it in a blender with skim milk, and I generally only take 1 scoop in the morning.

My problem is that i'm like my mom, I wake up in the morning and I can go all the way until 11am before I'm really hungry enough. I know this is bad, so I take this mixture in the morning (and with Skim milk, it's actually quite tasty - but as I said in another thread, I like things other people find gross, so YMMV).

I find that if I take this once in the morning, say around 9am, I can go until 12:30-1pm before i need to eat anything. I can stretch it to 2pm if I get up around 10am.

I love the stuff - I don't get morning hunger pangs like I used to get without it, and they aren't as severe when it is time to eat, so I slow down, and I can get away with eating a more appropriately sized lunch for most folks than had I gone all morning without something and I binge on something to make up for the night & morning fasting.

If you take it with water, I can't speak for you - I think powdered anything in water is nasty as a general experience, but I love skim milk, so I mix whatever I want with that and it works out, and you get some nutrients with it too - as far as the ones that come in skim milk that is. ;)

Oh and one other thing, I've found that if I need to mix things up a bit, Silk Very Vanilla (though it's a little high in sugar, so I try to watch it for the rest of the day) is also very good with this particular brand. If I alternate between the two, I keep things fairly balanced. My stomach doesn't have a problem with it in either case, though that may be because I only take 1 scoop each day.

craig1222 02-18-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by siliconbased (Post 3352)
About two years ago, I tried, on a whim, the Body Fortress stuff. Vanilla, with the 8 Grams of BCAA's - and I usually blend it in a blender with skim milk, and I generally only take 1 scoop in the morning.

My problem is that i'm like my mom, I wake up in the morning and I can go all the way until 11am before I'm really hungry enough. I know this is bad, so I take this mixture in the morning (and with Skim milk, it's actually quite tasty - but as I said in another thread, I like things other people find gross, so YMMV).

I find that if I take this once in the morning, say around 9am, I can go until 12:30-1pm before i need to eat anything. I can stretch it to 2pm if I get up around 10am.

I love the stuff - I don't get morning hunger pangs like I used to get without it, and they aren't as severe when it is time to eat, so I slow down, and I can get away with eating a more appropriately sized lunch for most folks than had I gone all morning without something and I binge on something to make up for the night & morning fasting.

If you take it with water, I can't speak for you - I think powdered anything in water is nasty as a general experience, but I love skim milk, so I mix whatever I want with that and it works out, and you get some nutrients with it too - as far as the ones that come in skim milk that is. ;)

Oh and one other thing, I've found that if I need to mix things up a bit, Silk Very Vanilla (though it's a little high in sugar, so I try to watch it for the rest of the day) is also very good with this particular brand. If I alternate between the two, I keep things fairly balanced. My stomach doesn't have a problem with it in either case, though that may be because I only take 1 scoop each day.

Sounds like an good thing for you.

siliconbased 02-24-2010 08:46 PM

One of the other things I've done is cut white flour out completely. I avoid HFCS by nature, but I've also cut "whole wheat" breads that used this in their bread loaves. It's amazing, but I do feel better when I can avoid these two things.

farr1022 02-25-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by siliconbased (Post 3352)

Try Casein protein as it takes much longer to digest and will make you feel full for much longer.

Gnomekicker 03-23-2010 01:56 PM

It is actually 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.

ShepUK 03-24-2010 09:17 PM

Hi guys

This is my first post here.

I use whey protein ( Dymatize Elite Whey ). Taking in 1gram per pound of lean mass per day will keep you feeling full and slow down muscle loss.

From experience, getting protein in me as early as possible helps me feel a lot fuller throughout the day. Hence why people like eggs in the morning.

Here is a link to a article that I hope will clear up any issues.

The Whey to Weight Loss! Can whey cause weight loss? Click here

cheers

Piers

linusfuller 08-30-2010 10:06 PM

Everything Protein Powder

Why does my whey protein supplement say NOT to use it for weight loss?

fletch8502 08-31-2010 12:30 AM

I think they don't want you to use the protein powder as a meal replacement for all of your meals and expect to lose weight (like Slim Fast or other "diet" products). Most powders aren't technically low calorie and meant for weight loss. They're meant to get more protein in the diet and support muscle growth. If used as part of a healthy diet, however, I think it may support weight loss.

Does that kind of answer your question? I'm no expert, but that's just my opinion. =)

midwestj 08-31-2010 02:06 AM

I agree with fletch, whey protein is not meant to be used as a meal replacement, but as a food supplement. I use it as a protein source, as part of my healthy whole foods diet. Whey protein is good when you don't feel like cooking or eating chicken, fish, steak or whatever your normal protein is.

And most importantly I have a whey protein shake after working out. Most bodybuilders are religious about their post workout nutrition, and if you are putting time in the gym trying to build muscle, you would benefit from post workout nutrition. This is the only time I can get away with drinking a gatorade.

almeeker 09-01-2010 12:39 AM

What brand did you buy? You might want to check out the fat and carb content, which vary wildly from brand to brand. I have 4 different kinds in the house and 3 of them say something about helping with weight loss.

rudy1988 04-12-2011 08:15 PM

Whey Protein Powder Question

I am basically using FitDay to count calories, stay under a certain amount each day, exercising and eating healthy in order to lose weight. I am sort of following South Beach eating because I think it is a healthy plan with good carbs, lean protein, etc., but keeping within my daily calorie limit. I have a good low carb cookbook and decided to try a couple of the recipes for some "treats." I made a great cheesecake, that was wonderful, then I decided to try a coffeecake recipe that called for almond flour and vanilla whey protein powder as a combo to subsititue for what would normally be flour.

So, off I went to buy the powder, got it home and started baking. Welllllll, then I looked at the ingredients of the powder, and it contains lots of sugars (fructose and other "-oses"). I was so disappointed by that as I didn't realize that it contained all of that sugar in one form or another. Guess I should have looked before I bought it and opened it!!

Is this the case with all whey protein powders? I bought this one from Trader Joe's. I actually reduced the amount of the powder and increased the amount of almond meal. I also reduced the amount of Splenda in the recipe and glad I did because it is sort of sweet and would reduce further next time. The cake is good and since I only eat a small piece, I guess the 1 cup of whey powder is well-divided amonth those pieces. But still, I'm trying to figure out if there is a sugar-free or lower carb whey powder available?

Thanks for your help.

Kathy13118 04-12-2011 08:27 PM

You could look on amazon.com and go to the grocery section (there is such a section in the U.S. Amazon.com) and put in 'whey protein.' Then just look at each product, its price, its ingredients and make a choice. Or do the same thing in the supermarket. Amazon.com will just give you some background information on what's out there.

SailorDoom 04-12-2011 08:34 PM

Unlike you, I am not really going for particularly "low carb", but rather "high protein". I also have mild egg and milk allergies, so I decided to go with a pure whey protein without lactose or egg protein added in, as many powders have.

I use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Platinum Hydro Whey, vanilla flavor. It has 30 grams of protein in each scoop and 2 grams total carbohydrates (0 grams sugar). the ingredient list has a few "unpronouncables", but overall is much less scary than some of the other options at GNC.

I really, really like it and consider myself lucky to have found a good protein powder with relatively few "misses" in the process. That being said, people have really strong opinions about their protein powder and this may not be a winner for everyone.

Other people on the forums have suggested getting plain (unflavored, unprocessed) whey from a dairy or natural foods store. I have heard that this is much more cost effective and just as beneficial, but I am unsure of the specific nutrition information. It may be worth looking into, though...

rudy1988 04-12-2011 09:54 PM

Thank you Kathy and Sailor for your quick replies and explanations. I will take a look more closely at whey protein products. I think I will check out GNC or another local place by me and see what they offer.

Thanks again.

Mern 04-12-2011 10:32 PM

Rudy, I use a whey protein shake powder that's only 1 net carb (7g carbohydrate less 6g fiber) and less than 1g sugar. It's 180 calories, 6g fat, 25mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 24g protein per serving.

Comes in several flavors.

It's called Walker Diet Shake Mix and the only place I know to buy it is at vitacost.com. It's about $10.99 for an 18.25oz. cannister that makes 11 servings. Flat fee shipping is $4.99 per order.

BarbaraMS 04-12-2011 10:45 PM

Hi! This is most certainly not the case and it is not the norm! I am a Supplement and Nutrition Consultant, and as such I deal with Protein Powder on a daily basis (all types) and have been in the industry for many years. I use them daily, whether it be in baking, shakes, post workout, desserts, or when customizing a specific plan for a client. Most Whey Isolates will not have added sugar and they are also 90% pure protein, giving you great value per serving. Generally drugstore, grocery store types have sugar because they are cheaper quality. If there is a particular protein you are wanting to try, let me know and I can definitely recommend quite a few excellent products! Be careful of misleading claims like "low carb" on the label- they are ALL usually low carb (if they're whey protein, isolate especially). If you still have the one with sugar, I would use it post workout, as your body utilizes the sugar efficiently and needs it to repair muscle tissue and restore your glycogen stores.
Good luck on your goals!!!
Barbara

01gt4.6 04-13-2011 01:44 AM

Barbara, I also use a whey protein isolate and I couldn't be happier with it.

rrbb25 04-13-2011 03:05 PM

Hi...

As a vegetarian I need to supplement with Whey Protein that is from a vegetarian rennet source. I found Jarrow Formulas unflavored whey protein to be excellent. It is fairly inexpensive and has very low sugar / carbs.

One 23g scoop of Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein has:

94 - calories
2g - carbohydrates
1g - sugars
18g - protein
42mg - sodium

Ingredients: 100% ultrafiltered whey protein from milk and lecithin (from soy).

No wheat, gluten, egg, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, artificial flavors, sweeteners.

This may be a good option for you! Best of luck!

lastri 04-14-2011 05:01 PM

This might be a dump question but whatever I have to ask.

I never use whey protein or any kind of supliments in my diet. So, what is the benefit of having whey protein? How do you make it? Do you use it for as a meal replacement or snack? Would you have to cut back the cals from other food?
I want to try this, maybe it will be something to help me to meet my goal.
Any input will help me. Thanks
Mai

davidsbrooks 04-14-2011 06:36 PM

Whey protein is great to have in your diet. Depending upon the kind you purchase will determine the calorie content. It will have approximately 120 calories with water. If you are exercising, protein is needed for recovery. Many people do not get enough protein in their diet. You can look to see how much protein you should have for your body weight. I lift weights and take it for muscle recovery after my workouts. It helps to repair the muscle fibers and decreases the recovery time. Maybe check out bodybuilding.com for a more detailed explaination on protein.

rrbb25 04-15-2011 02:17 AM

Protein is the building block of all life.

Your body needs proteins to survive. The average adult needs around 45-65 grams of protein a day. Protein deficiency can lead to serious problems.

People use protein supplements such as Whey Protein or Soy Protein to increase the protein content in their diet, especially vegans/vegetarians and weight-lifters/athletes.

However if your body doesn't need protein to build muscles (because you aren't exercising enough or are OVER-supplementing with protein) it will quickly turn to fat which is something you need to consider, in addition to consulting with your primary care physician to make sure your kidney and liver function is OK and can support the extra workload a protein supplement will be giving them!

Read this page for more info: Protein (nutrient) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rudy1988 04-15-2011 02:33 PM

Barbara, or any others--I would love to have a recommendation for a good whey protein to use for baking. I do not plan to use it for drinks, etc. I just like to have a little something as a treat and find that making/baking something on my own let me have complete contol over the ingredients so I know what I'm eating and can account for it accordingly. I've been counting calories and exercising regularly (cardio and weights) and that is helping me with a slow, steady loss so plan to stick with this . . . but need something "good" every now and again.

So, any recommendations for a low/no sugar whey protein would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

lastri 04-15-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rrbb25 (Post 43733)
Protein is the building block of all life.

Your body needs proteins to survive. The average adult needs around 45-65 grams of protein a day. Protein deficiency can lead to serious problems.

[/url]

Thanks for responding!

I looked back at my old food journal. I eat about at between 70-85g of protein. And I m 128 pounds.
I do some weight lifting for women such as circurt but not heavy about 5-8 pounds dumpbells. 2-3 times a week. So I think I just need a little more protein, maybe up to 100g/day? I have no idea.
Is anyone have any idea? how many g protein should I eat?
Thanks,
Mai

almeeker 04-15-2011 05:57 PM

I use a brand called Spirutein, which I buy at the Health Food Grocery. You can buy it in a can or in single serve pouches, so you can try different flavors for $2 without committing to a $40 can.

rrbb25 04-19-2011 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by lastri (Post 43782)
Thanks for responding!

I looked back at my old food journal. I eat about at between 70-85g of protein. And I m 128 pounds.
I do some weight lifting for women such as circurt but not heavy about 5-8 pounds dumpbells. 2-3 times a week. So I think I just need a little more protein, maybe up to 100g/day? I have no idea.
Is anyone have any idea? how many g protein should I eat?
Thanks,
Mai

You are quite welcome! Check out this page: UMMS: Protein Calculator

If you are 30 years old, 5 feet 4 inches and 128lbs and do some weight training a few times a week, at minimum you'd need....72g. i just put in 30 years old and 5'4" so you'd get an idea...if you go in and put in your correct stats you'll get a more exact minimal daily requirement!

but I'd assume for a moderately active, thin girl you'd need around 75g a day minimum and 90g a day maximum...too much and it will turn to fat and you will get kidney stones so don't overdo it!!!

lastri 04-19-2011 02:37 AM

Thanks rrbb25.
I put in the number and it's said my minimum would be 69g/daily.
I think I eat quite a lot of protein. Maybe it's enough. I don't need anymore.
Mai

SultanaRana 06-06-2011 11:06 PM

Favorite Protein Powder?

Hello there! I'm new to Fitday, working on adjusting my macronutrient balance (which I just discovered by reading through the forums is akin to the Zone Diet? huh).

So like many others, I'm working on adding protein (and trimming carbs) from my diet, and I figure that for an occasional quick fix, protein powder could help.

So what are your favs? I love chocolate, but probably vanilla (or a non-chocolate, basically) would work in well with yogurt smoothies and other things.

I'm avoiding the soy protein powder, I've been told it tends to taste pretty strong.

Input would be very appreciated!!

01gt4.6 06-06-2011 11:37 PM

IMO for whey, Muscle Gauge Nutrition (MGN) Cake Batter & Ice Cream Sandwich is the best that I've had. Mixed so well and the taste is amazing, almost like a real treat! I just ordered a couple jugs of Optimum Nutrition (ON) b/c I had a gift card. I should have it tomorrow, it's Cookies & Cream and Vanilla Ice Cream, I'll update then. If it mixes anything like ON's Casein I won't like it.

SultanaRana 06-08-2011 02:37 PM

Very cool, I'd appreciate hearing how it works for you. Thanks!

taubele 06-08-2011 03:53 PM

I am using a Cookies 'N Cream flavored one - it's actually just CVS brand, as I am still experimenting with protein powder and I didn't want to spend too much money if I don't drink it often -- cheapskate to the core, I guess :o

I like the Cookies 'N Cream flavor and find I don't need to mix much with it to make it palatable. It's not too strong. I do prefer whey to soy protein powders.

rpmcduff 06-08-2011 06:25 PM

I use the BodyFortress brand (whey protein) from Walmart. The vanilla is okay but the strawberry is better and I really don't care for the chocolate. It is relatively cheap, has a decent protein/carb/fat ratio (although there are brands that are better) and it is convienent to pickup when I'm at the store. Bodybuilding.com has nutrition information on their website for a bunch of brands they carry.