Notices

Everything Protein Powder

Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I think that it may just be me, everyone seems to love ON.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Yeah I think that it may just be me, everyone seems to love ON.
I didn't. I tried the double rich chocolate and I didn't like it at all.

What I've been using is the store brand (Publix) vanilla, and I like that fine. It's probably not as scientifically complete as ON, but it's cheaper and tastes better, which means I'll actually use it from time to time. I'm not trying to build huge muscles, though, just using it to supplement when I've had a hard workout and am relatively low on protein the rest of the day.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default Best Protein Powder

Hello all. I read here, but seldom post.I'm an older woman....68 & am on a plan to eat healthy & lose some wt.I'm not a big meat eater & need to add more protein to my diet.
Some ppl say the soy powder tastes bad ? I'll probably use it once a day at lunch,maybe with a salad or sandwich.
Can you recommend what brand is best for taste & price? I'll get vanilla & add my own flavoring. Thanks a lot,PL
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
FitDay Member

Hi. I used to take soy protein in strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate and I thought they all tasted decent enough. But ever since my local health food store steered me away from soy and told me that the whey is "better" (maybe because most soy is GMO and has a lot of pesticide contamination, I'm not sure of his reason) I've been very happy with whey protein. I do think they taste better as well. I like the vanilla because it's very versatile. You can take it alone by mixing it with some water or it's great for smoothies.

I just use the brand sold at Wallyworld which is just as good as any other whey protein, it's got a good price, and it's convenient for me to buy. It's called "Super Advanced Whey Protein" by Body Fortress and it provides 26 grams of protein per scoop. I like it a lot and it and each scoop also has 3 grams of creatine (I know because I phoned them). Creatine is natural and good for your muscles, even if you're not going to do anything more than taking walks.

This thread may be of help as well: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...in-powder.html

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-25-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added link
Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for taking time to reply with good info.Buying at Wmart would help,as I'm in there every wk.will read the thread you sent, but for now,think I'll try your recommendation.
I like to copy the nutrition info from 2-3,along with price & go from there. BTW...from your stats,looks like you're doing very well. Congrats to you.PL
Old 10-26-2011, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino
I just use the brand sold at Wallyworld which is just as good as any other whey protein, it's got a good price, and it's convenient for me to buy. It's called "Super Advanced Whey Protein" by Body Fortress and it provides 26 grams of protein per scoop. I like it a lot and it and each scoop also has 3 grams of creatine (I know because I phoned them). Creatine is natural and good for your muscles, even if you're not going to do anything more than taking walks.
I second this. But I've never had soy protein so I can't compare them. All most all protein powders are the same just depends on how much you want to pay for the package they come in and what you plan to use it for. It is cheap and effective, WallyWorld has it 3 for $39.00 if you order on-line and usually around $14 in the store.

Vanilla is great for mixing fruits, Chocolate is good by itself or with a banana, I hate fake Strawberry flavoring, and Chocolate Peanut Butter is amazing... Also I only mix with milk.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Urbanmule
Vanilla is great for mixing fruits, Chocolate is good by itself or with a banana, I hate fake Strawberry flavoring
Vanilla is the best for mixing with fruits, I agree.

Chocolate is good by itself or with a banana, I agree. Also if you add some peanut butter in with it-- yum.

I like Strawberry flavored whey protein ALONE, nothing mixed in so it serves the purpose of drinking it plain for less calories.

A suggestion I've read is to add some non fat cottage cheese to the protein shake. It adds extra protein and calcium without adding that much more in calories (adding peanut butter will add the protein but is also high in calories). It also thickens it.

I use green tea in my protein shakes to not only thin them because of all the added fruits, but because green tea is extremely healthy and also helps to burn fat.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 AM
FitDay Member

I also use the Body Fortress whey protein from Wal-mart. Like Vito I also like the strawberry just mixed with milk. The vanilla is very versatile if you are adding fruit and such although berries and bananas go well in the strawberry too. The chocolate flavor was my least favorite (and I usually like anything chocolate).

Not sure why you would use soy protein over whey unless you are a strict vegan and want to avoid any dairy derived products. (Whey is derived from milk but carries no lactose so even those who are lactose intolerant don't normally have problems.)

My suggestion is that no matter what brand you ultimately buy make sure its not full of extra carbs and fat. There are lots of 'Potein' (especially ready to drink) products out there that are full of other ingredients you don't want in your protein shake. I believe the Body Fortress brand is 26g protein and 2g of carbs per scoop and while not the best ratio it is near the top at its price range.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Ron, another good thing about the Body Fortress is that it has the creatine in it. Creatine alone can be pricey, BF includes it in their protein powder and the total price of the tub is still modestly priced.

One thing nobody has mentioned about it is that it contains 60 mg. of cholesterol (less than half of an egg). This is not much at all, especially considering the recommended is 200-300 mg/day. Some people try to avoid cholesterol altogether, but they fail to realize that when they do that the body starts producing its own.

A friend of mine was vegan for about a year. No cholesterol in her diet. When she got blood work done, her cholesterol was high. She blames it on the fact that she was on a cholesterol free diet. Now it's back to normal but she's not avoiding cholesterol any more. Ironic, isn't it?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Using Whey

II got vanilla Body FoQUOTE=rpmcduff;60672]I also use the Body Fortress whey protein from Wal-mart. Like Vito I also like the strawberry just mixed with milk. The vanilla is very versatile if you are adding fruit and such although berries and bananas go well in the strawberry too. The chocolate flavor was my least favorite (and I usually like anything chocolate).

Not sure why you would use soy protein over whey unless you are a strict vegan and want to avoid any dairy derived products. (Whey is derived from milk but carries no lactose so even those who are lactose intolerant don't normally have problems.)
Bought Body Fortress at Wmart & am pleased with it.Usually add fruit or banana..Yest I tried a shake for breakfast.The powder,1/2c of juice & C of frozen fruit....no sweetener.It came out like ice cream ....so cold!!Gonna save the shakes for a treat or as dessert.Thanks for the advice.PL
My suggestion is that no matter what brand you ultimately buy make sure its not full of extra carbs and fat. There are lots of 'Potein' (especially ready to drink) products out there that are full of other ingredients you don't want in your protein shake. I believe the Body Fortress brand is 26g protein and 2g of carbs per scoop and while not the best ratio it is near the top at its price range.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.