Notices

Everything Protein Powder

Old 04-15-2011, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Barbara, or any others--I would love to have a recommendation for a good whey protein to use for baking. I do not plan to use it for drinks, etc. I just like to have a little something as a treat and find that making/baking something on my own let me have complete contol over the ingredients so I know what I'm eating and can account for it accordingly. I've been counting calories and exercising regularly (cardio and weights) and that is helping me with a slow, steady loss so plan to stick with this . . . but need something "good" every now and again.

So, any recommendations for a low/no sugar whey protein would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rrbb25
Protein is the building block of all life.

Your body needs proteins to survive. The average adult needs around 45-65 grams of protein a day. Protein deficiency can lead to serious problems.

[/url]
Thanks for responding!

I looked back at my old food journal. I eat about at between 70-85g of protein. And I m 128 pounds.
I do some weight lifting for women such as circurt but not heavy about 5-8 pounds dumpbells. 2-3 times a week. So I think I just need a little more protein, maybe up to 100g/day? I have no idea.
Is anyone have any idea? how many g protein should I eat?
Thanks,
Mai
Old 04-15-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

I use a brand called Spirutein, which I buy at the Health Food Grocery. You can buy it in a can or in single serve pouches, so you can try different flavors for $2 without committing to a $40 can.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lastri
Thanks for responding!

I looked back at my old food journal. I eat about at between 70-85g of protein. And I m 128 pounds.
I do some weight lifting for women such as circurt but not heavy about 5-8 pounds dumpbells. 2-3 times a week. So I think I just need a little more protein, maybe up to 100g/day? I have no idea.
Is anyone have any idea? how many g protein should I eat?
Thanks,
Mai
You are quite welcome! Check out this page: UMMS: Protein Calculator

If you are 30 years old, 5 feet 4 inches and 128lbs and do some weight training a few times a week, at minimum you'd need....72g. i just put in 30 years old and 5'4" so you'd get an idea...if you go in and put in your correct stats you'll get a more exact minimal daily requirement!

but I'd assume for a moderately active, thin girl you'd need around 75g a day minimum and 90g a day maximum...too much and it will turn to fat and you will get kidney stones so don't overdo it!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks rrbb25.
I put in the number and it's said my minimum would be 69g/daily.
I think I eat quite a lot of protein. Maybe it's enough. I don't need anymore.
Mai
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Favorite Protein Powder?

Hello there! I'm new to Fitday, working on adjusting my macronutrient balance (which I just discovered by reading through the forums is akin to the Zone Diet? huh).

So like many others, I'm working on adding protein (and trimming carbs) from my diet, and I figure that for an occasional quick fix, protein powder could help.

So what are your favs? I love chocolate, but probably vanilla (or a non-chocolate, basically) would work in well with yogurt smoothies and other things.

I'm avoiding the soy protein powder, I've been told it tends to taste pretty strong.

Input would be very appreciated!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

IMO for whey, Muscle Gauge Nutrition (MGN) Cake Batter & Ice Cream Sandwich is the best that I've had. Mixed so well and the taste is amazing, almost like a real treat! I just ordered a couple jugs of Optimum Nutrition (ON) b/c I had a gift card. I should have it tomorrow, it's Cookies & Cream and Vanilla Ice Cream, I'll update then. If it mixes anything like ON's Casein I won't like it.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Very cool, I'd appreciate hearing how it works for you. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

I am using a Cookies 'N Cream flavored one - it's actually just CVS brand, as I am still experimenting with protein powder and I didn't want to spend too much money if I don't drink it often -- cheapskate to the core, I guess

I like the Cookies 'N Cream flavor and find I don't need to mix much with it to make it palatable. It's not too strong. I do prefer whey to soy protein powders.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

I use the BodyFortress brand (whey protein) from Walmart. The vanilla is okay but the strawberry is better and I really don't care for the chocolate. It is relatively cheap, has a decent protein/carb/fat ratio (although there are brands that are better) and it is convienent to pickup when I'm at the store. Bodybuilding.com has nutrition information on their website for a bunch of brands they carry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.