FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Protein recommendations? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/174-protein-recommendations.html)

snolyzard 01-16-2010 03:47 PM

Protein recommendations?

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for high-protein foods that don't have a lot of fat or carbs. I eat a lot of cottage cheese, skim milk, and meat, but is that all there is? Yes beans have protein, but a lot of carbs...and eggs have protein, but a lot of fat. Any suggestions? I have a whey protein powder that has about 150 calories and 16g of protein per serving I think, any recommendations for higher protein powders?

Keelsmeals 01-17-2010 05:38 AM

Egg whites are high protein and low carbs/fat. I also like edamame and soy nuts to snack on - they're a little higher in carbs but are also full of fiber so the "net carbs" are pretty low.

jdodson10 01-17-2010 08:47 AM

High Protein

skinless chicken breasts are perfect, no carbs very high in protein and no fats, Fish like tuna is another great source. It is very high in protein and fats but the fats are what you need like omega 3. lean red meat is another good choice.
The chicken is a must, probably the best source of protein you can possibly get.

KimmyRocks 01-22-2010 02:38 AM

my suggestions

fish, shrimp, clams, scallops and lobster are all excellent low-fat sources of protein - but as with all animal-protein sources, the trade off is higher levels of cholesterol.

a 4 oz salmon filet delivers 19 grams of protein and 2 grams of fat. This is about the size of a deck of cards.

a 6 oz chicken breast will get you 51 grams of protein and a bit more fat than the fish... but that depends on the method of cooking for anything you eat.

How many grams per day are you shooting for?

The daily recommendation for protein intake is .63 to .77 grams per pound of body weight (daily) for someone engaged in Body building training. Source: http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=7086&terms=recommended+protein+int ake

jfkelley2009 01-22-2010 09:53 AM

Powders

Most of the supplemental powders on the market will have about 20g-22g of protein. Personally, I prefer Syntha 6 by BSN. One, it has around 22g of protein per serving; second, it is aspartame free; and third, it has some really great flavors :D. Try looking at DPSNutrition.com, it is one of the cheapest sites I've found.

daughterofisis39 02-22-2010 01:36 AM

Looks like the other members have some excellent suggestions (I'm a chicken & fish fan myself). However, I can't tell if you're a vegetarian. As someone who doesn't eat red meat and pork products, I also eat a lot of soy items...edamame is good, as is tofu (not as protein rich, tho) and Greek yogurt. Depending on the brand you purchase, Greek yogurt usually boasts between 19 and 23 grams of protein per serving. It tastes a little like sour cream, so it's an acquired taste. :-)

staceyalberta 02-22-2010 04:19 AM

egg whites, fish is excellent & chicken breasts.

Built 02-22-2010 09:28 AM

I use the liquid egg whites in the carton and make an omelette stuffed with low-sugar salsa (refrigerator section next to eggs), pink salmon in the foil packette that I top on salad (2.5 oz and 80 calories), tuna in foil packette, chx. breast, extra lean ground turkey, low fat cottage cheese (like you), and protein shakes (usually myoplex lite that has carbs as well to make a complete meal-not very someone on a lminimal-carb plan). As someone already mentioned, fat-free greek yogurt is a high protein, low carb source, too.

Morganone2001 02-23-2010 01:34 AM

Just pop a Butterball turkey breast into the oven, cook according to directions. Voilla! Low fat, low calorie, low carb, high protein snack!

vivobliv 03-29-2010 11:45 PM

Protein Snack Recommendation

Roasted soy nuts is a brilliant way to up your protein and keep hunger pangs at bay. I'm following a high protein/low carb program at the moment and they have been my lifesaver!

Soy Recipes - Snacks - Roasted Soy Nuts