Protein recommendations? >

Protein recommendations?

Community
Notices

Protein recommendations?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

I too am looking for protein sources.

I was surprised to find out while logging my recent foods that Portabella Mushrooms actually have a decent Protein value. Most Mushrooms have good protein.
I also like tempeh for protein.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mushrooms, portabella, raw [Portabello]mushroom data

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Tempeh
tempeh data

Stir fried in sesame oil over Udon noodles if you risk having the noodles. (brown rice perhaps a better alternative to noodles!)

Katy
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

I suspect people are going to be down on this, but I like beef jerky for a quick protein hit on the go. I use the Ostrim beef/ostrich ones. 14g of protein for 80 calories, 1.5g pf fat, no carbs. You do have to watch the sodium when looking at jerky, and you can find nitrate free ones but the have to be refrigerated and consumed more quickly.

I don't love using meat all the time for my protein, and there are actually some vegan "jerkees" that are all natural, animal-free soy products. They're pretty tasty too, but you don't get nearly the protein hit that you get from meat.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

To help me boost my protein intake I started eating nonfat cottage cheese. I thought I didn't like the stuff but it turns out I was wrong. It's great on chunk pineapple. I also starting eating a lot more egg whites. Post workout drink is 1 cup of skim milk, 1 scoop whey protein, .5 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1 medium banana and/or about 8-10 frozen strawberries.

All of these things have helped me to get my protein above 30% but it's still difficult to make it to 40%, which I rarely do.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

how do greek yogurt taste. i tried regular yogurt like yoplait.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
FitDay Member

i want more protein in diet what are some more protein foods
Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

I found some whole wheat patties (with 7g of fiber and 100cal) that I have been making a sort of egg muffin thing out of every morning (that are about 200-250cal total, usually 1 whole, 1-2 eggwhites).

I've never been a big fan of eggs, but I find it easier to get protein from than most meat (where I feel like I have to eat enormous quantities to get any protein).

Beans also have a ton of protein. It's not completely healthy (mainly because of high sodium), but a small bowl of chili packs a lot if you are looking for something tasty.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried quinoa?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

I have never tried quinoa!!! Not sure what it is. I did finally meet my prot goal yesterday with an eggwhite breakfast, turkey an pumpernickel lunch, and my favorite chicken in the slow cooker for dinner. I'm not use to so much meat however and have found a gatorade type protein drink that absorbs in the body in less than 45 minutes. ISO EXTRME like the orange blast. 30g of prot low cal
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

I use whey shakes to get a protein hit. 2 scoops in a pint of water gives 40g of protein, 3g fat and 2g carbs in 200 calories total. I have one every day with breakfast and another one after my workouts.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need more Protein

hey all i'm wondering how much protein does one need in a day, and also what are some foods filled with it. i'm looking more for something besides meat but you can also say your meats as well

thanx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.