Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
WOW! What Motivation... >

WOW! What Motivation...

Community
Notices

WOW! What Motivation...

Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

We're also planning a big trip, 2 weeks in sunny FL in August . This idea was brewed up by the in-laws, don't ask me how or why. So some of my game plan is: take some of those "fullbars" and when I feel like I'm going to cut loose and eat the place down, start with one of those and a big bottle of water. They work a little, not something I would lose weight on long term, but it does help when you feel a binge coming on. Also I read one poster that said to chew peppermint gum, which makes you feel like you just brushed your teeth. I quite like gum, so I bought 3 jugs of sf peppermint and wintogreen, to take with. I don't need that much, but with 6 kids around, I need some decoy gum in order to keep them out of the stash I do need. The other thing I'm going to do is wear my pedometer everyday, just to make sure I'm getting in a good amount of steps. And 2 of the 3 hotels we're staying at have a workout facility and if I don't get in my steps, I hit the gym, end of discussion. I'm also going to try and eat salad for at least one meal everyday, cobb with ff Italian dressing.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

I'll be in a cabin in the Smokey's. Sounds like it should be easy to stick with healthy eating, but I buy all the crap my kids have been begging me for when we're on vacation, so I'll be surrounded by junk. My plan: long walk/jog every morning (bringing the dog-better than any alarm clock!). hiking, rafting, or horsebck riding, etc...with the kids. I bought some fullbars, too but I'm not crazy about them, and they certainly don't live up to the sales pitch. I am plannng to over-eat, but my goal is to not gain more than 3 pounds (lost 9 pounds in 6 weeks recently). I was going to take a break from writing down everything I'll be eating, but I think I'll bring along a notebook and log it when I get back. Even thinkin of pre-measuring the M&M's into 1/4 cup portions. Also, guess I'll get the pre-portioned Cheetos and BBQ potato chips, rather than the "Family size" bag I usually get for vacations.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

There was another post a while back asking for camp recipes that were healthy, you might search for that one. The funny part about us is that if we were going camping the food would all be pretty healthy, but staying in a hotel and living off "the Disney food plan" has "welcome back big fat butt" written all over it.

When we camp we do a lot of tin foil dinners with chicken and lean beef, and we nosh on apples, dried fruit and trail mix. My kids are getting pretty astute about junk food. They don't even bother to ask anymore. Last night we went to the company picnic and when the pinata was busted open my kids each got 4 pieces and then stopped. When my DH asked them if they wanted more out of the bowl on the table, the oldest one said "naw, it's all just straight sugar", and I got all warm and tingly inside.

Yep, I made a little book using excel to write everything down, and I have a pocket calorie book that I'm taking as well. I have heard that some of the Disney menus have calorie counts on them, which should help. It's just that 2 weeks is a long time for me to be completely off plan, and I'm a little worried that I won't jump right back on once we get back. Ugh.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-31-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

I'm really regretting forgetting my notebook, cause I'll tell you what, I've only stuck to the plan once or twice since I've been back from my vacation. I'm also dealing with raging PMS though, and that's always my biggest saboteur. Fats, carbs, starch.....ugh ><. And I've been overly busy running around everywhere catching up on appointments, household projects, visiting relatives etc, letting myself get too hungry during the day and bingeing at night. Today is another day though, and I'm starting over yet again, had a good breakfast and I have time to plan out the rest of my day. We'll see how it goes. Getting started is the hardest part, and I really feel like I'm starting from scratch again. At least this time I'm starting at 152 instead of 182.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 AM
FitDay Member

So.....I'm wondering what everyone does when they feel like they need something sweet.
I go grab myself a diet rootbeer. I try not to drink many diet sodas....because I think they make me want more carbs....like chips and things. Sometimes a will grab a diet hard candy....ok maybe more then one.....six. Am I doing the wrong thing? What do you guys do?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM
FitDay Member

For sweet cravings it varies, but currently I'm into frozen yogurt and frozen fruit. I buy the yogurt for the kids, it's in tubes or small cups and we toss them into the freezer instead of the fridge. My favorite frozen fruits are watermelon, black cherries and red seedless grapes , but I can eat waaaayyyy too much of it, so I have to ration it out. My other sweet grab is protein bars. I've found one that tastes like tootsie rolls and it soothes the savage sweet tooth pretty well.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

For sweet cravings, I like Skinny Cow ice cream products, cottage cheese with Splenda and cinnamon, sugar-free hot chocolate, a small piece of dark chocolate, a Rice Krispie treat, peanut butter banana shake, Greek yogurt with blueberries, a banana cut up and microwaved with Splenda and cinnamon, milk with light chocolate syrup...

Yeah, I kind of have a sweet tooth. =)
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
FitDay Member

I am the original poster. Check this out. My wife goes to Sam's Club yesterday and got a membership and received a $20 gift card. She brings home a dozen donuts, and then proceeds to TELL me about the bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts they have there. Not buys them, tells me about them. I haven't grabbed a donut yet, and don't plan to. THEN, we are on our way to church today. I tell my wife that the hotel we are staying at has a fitness room. She rolls her eyes and says, "Well, if that is what you want to do with your vacation time". I mean like an hour a day in the fitness room is going to hurt anything. I swear.

We had to go out to eat today (family was in from out of town) and they picked an Italian eatery. I grabbed a small pan pizza with light cheese and banana peppers. I thought about it after we left. I could have ordered the grilled chicken breast sub with all the healthy toppings I wanted and leave off the bread. Didn't do it, just didn't come to mind til we were halfway home. To make up for all the carbs in the crust, getting ready to have an omelet with cheese, carrots, and broccoli. Vacation starts tomorrow, and it has not gotten off to a good start as far as healthy eating goes.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

I see you and I kind of started at the same weight - wow you have done wonderful.
Any ideas or help you can share I would be greatful.
Thanks.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

I think the biggest lesson I have learned on my journey so far:

Its your body, you're in charge, NO ONE is going to make the good choices for you, it is up to only you. Your success and your failure starts and ends with you.

When it comes down to it, you probably have more enablers around you than supporters, and we have to find it within ourselves to say: "This is whats important to me, and I will not stop until my goal is reached."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.