My Food Journal-Was this a good choice.New to this >

My Food Journal-Was this a good choice.New to this

Notices

My Food Journal-Was this a good choice.New to this

Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow My Food Journal-Was this a good choice.New to this

yesterday on 6/29/2010 I ate:

1. For breakfast I had 1 can of tuna in water with mustard and ate it with a folk

2. Snack-1 quacker oatmeal chocolate chip cookie(high source of fiber)

3. Lunch- 2pc of broil catfish, greenbeans, and a handful of fries that I baked in the oven(love french fries and must wean myself off of them )

4. Dinner-bowl of cereal
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cinnamonsage
yesterday on 6/29/2010 I ate:

1. For breakfast I had 1 can of tuna in water with mustard and ate it with a folk

2. Snack-1 quacker oatmeal chocolate chip cookie(high source of fiber)

3. Lunch- 2pc of broil catfish, greenbeans, and a handful of fries that I baked in the oven(love french fries and must wean myself off of them )

4. Dinner-bowl of cereal
There are a lot of variables there, but I plugged those items into a food log with generic choices and came up with about 1,000 calories. Personally, I would be starving with so little food. It seems like there was a pretty even balance between fat-protein-carbs, so if you were going for an even split of macronutrients, great job! Just out of curiousity, did you suffer any kind of crash between lunch and dinner or any time after dinner? It seems like most of your carbs came in those two meals so I am curious if that had any effect on you.

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 6/28/10 = 255
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 220
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!

Last edited by davej323; 06-30-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM
FitDay Member

Yes I had cravings and yes it was a little tough since it was my 1st day...I also drizzled malt vinegar over my fish...I would say i crash per say but I did get a little tempted bcus i so used to eating junk food

Originally Posted by davej323
There are a lot of variables there, but I plugged those items into a food log with generic choices and came up with about 1,000 calories. Personally, I would be starving with so little food. It seems like there was a pretty even balance between fat-protein-carbs, so if you were going for an even split of macronutrients, great job! Just out of curiousity, did you suffer any kind of crash between lunch and dinner or any time after dinner? It seems like most of your carbs came in those two meals so I am curious if that had any effect on you.

Male, 6'0" tall, 37 y/o

Starting weight, 4/19/10 (started Atkins) = 287
6/16/10 (finished Atkins book & joined Fitday) = 261
latest weight 6/28/10 = 255
mini goal (wedding) 9/4/10 = 220
ultimate goal for lifetime maintenance by 4/19/11 (one year mark, 100 pounds loss) = 187
This will be my lightest weight since high school!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

6/30/2010 today I ate:

1. Breakfast--bowl of cereal.
2. Lunch--2pc of baked chicken strip(the kind u buy already cut into strips) with malt vinager dizzled over it, Greenbeans, and palm size of baken french fries and for dessert 1quaker oatmeal & choc chip cookie packed with high source of fiber..

havent had dinner yet...Salad for dinner...or another small bowl of cereal..
Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
FitDay Member

If the cereal is not something like oatmeal or a whole grain I would not include it in my food plan. Most breakfast cereals that come out of a box are mostly simple carbohydrates. Once your glycogen (the source of energy used by muscles) stores are full those fast digesting, simple carbs will be stored as fat. So if you have just worked out and your glycogen stores are low simple carbs are the fastest way to restore them. If, on the other hand, your glycogen stores are full and you consume simple carbs they will be stored as fat. Complex carbs act the same way but because they digest at a much slower rate your body has a chance to burn some of your glycogen stores before the entirety of what you have eaten tries to refill your stores.

Unless your are working out before dinner I would suggest you not eat a bowl of cereal for dinner. Instead of cereal have the salad with a protein source (tuna, chicken, pork, beef, turkey or eggs). Protein is very important when dieting as it helps you minimize the muscle loss that happens with dieting. If you diet without exercise 50% of your weight loss will come from muscle. I try to get a minimum of 30% of my calories from protein.

Since I don't know what your base metabolism is for calories I will not tell you that 1000 is too low (for me it is way low). I will caution you that having too big a calorie deficit can work against your weight loss efforts. If your body goes into starvation mode it will slow down your metabolism and you will have a very difficult time losing weight. How much of a deficit is too much? Most people can handle a 500 to 800 calorie deficit per day. Some can handle 1000, a few can handle 1500 without triggering the bodies starvation mode.

I would also suggest you begin an exercise regimen. Cardio along with weight training is best. If you lift, lift heavy (5-6 reps to failure). If you are badly out of shape start slowly, even if that just means walking. Do more than you currently do and strive to improve. Exercising burns calories allowing you to eat more and still retain the calorie defict you desire.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

cinnamon,

I would suggest, that for sustainability's sake, try not to eat the same things every day. You'll wear out quickly if you do. Get a variety of meat, vegetables, and carbs (as long as you stay away from the junk) and don't feel that you have to restrict calories so drastically to start losing weight.

On both days you listed I'd say lunch was your most balanced meal, because you included some meat, some vegetable and a carb (fries). The first day's breakfast could be made more productive if you make a tuna omelet with an egg or two, a handful of spinach, sliced avocado and a dash of salt and pepper. It is more complete, and IMO tastes better than just chunk tuna with mustard.

Taste is very important in sticking to your diet. "Healthy food" doesn't have to taste like crap just because "unhealthy food" tastes amazing.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

HI, Cinnamon! I'm new to dieting, too -- at least new to just trying to eat a semi-normal diet and count calories instead of whatever the latest fad is. Something that really helped me get an idea for what to eat was that I just googled "1200-calorie menus." (1200 calories per day is my aim; you could probably change the number to however many you want.) Up popped a lot of sites to go to where you can see meals and snacks totaling 1200 calories. You don't have to follow them exactly, if there's something you don't like you can substitute it for something else with the same number of calories. But it's a good start in seeing what you can eat for a number of calories.

I think many dieters tend to wait until the last minute to decide what to eat, and then eat the wrong thing in a hurry because they're starving. It really helps me to plan a week's menus in advance from the web sites above. That way, I can make sure I have the right groceries to cook whatever I'm having, and it eliminates bad last-minute choices in eating.

Other than just googling what you want as above, the sites that have helped me most are this one (FitDay), CalorieKing.com (where you can find the calories and nutrient stats for almost any food), and Hungry Girl, which is an AWESOME site for changing fattening recipes to more dietetic ones.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your journey.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

I am trying that too. I had a can of tuna with boiled eggs for breakfast and then chicken with salad for lunch and a light dinner. I prefer it that way, i have more energy throughout the day and I am not hungry. I am off for the summer ( sort of - teacher trainings here and there) so I have the luxury of eating at different times, but I am concerned about when school s tarts and my schedule is dictated by classes. Tell me how it goes.