Notices

salmon chowder

Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM
FitDay Member

Default salmon chowder

I baked salmon for the first time tonight, and it came out perfect! I flaked it up and made it into salmon chowder. My family loooooved it! 2 went back for 2nds and everyone's bowl was emptied. There was very little left. Maybe enough for one to have a snack. It was a huge success!

The recipe says you can use canned or pouched salmon, but I went for fresh, raw, unskinned and baked it. I think fresh would probably taste better, but the choice is yours.

Salmon Chowder
12 oz flaked cooked salmon (I used fresh, raw, unskinned filets)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
6 oz chopped celery
3 oz chopped onion
5 oz chopped carrots
1/2 c uncooked brown rice
8 oz low fat cream cheese
salt & pepper
dill weed
parsley
  • Bake salmon at 400F for 7-8 minutes on each side or until done. Let cool. Flake.
  • In a pot put in (estimated...I didn't measure) 1.5 Tbsp butter and 1.5 Tbsp canola or olive oil. Saute vegetables for 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
  • Add in chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
  • Add in brown rice and reduce to simmer. cook for time recommended on package.
  • Cube cream cheese, add to stock and stir until melted.
  • Add in salmon, 1/2 tsp dill weed and a pinch of parsley. Cook until heated through.

Serves 4. Calories: 386 / Protein: 31 / Fat: 18 / Sat Fat: 3 / Fiber: 2

Very healthy and delicious! I'm taking everyone's word for it though...I don't like fish. lol!!!

Last edited by AZLisaLou; 10-21-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

That sounds pretty good! My DH is allergic to fish so I might try to cut the recipe in half. If do, I'll post here how it turned out. Vicki