FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Soup recipes? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/1262-soup-recipes.html)

ACossaboom 06-07-2010 07:42 PM

Soup recipes?

Does anyone have any good soup recipes that are easy to make? I'm just tired of salads right now, and i love to have a nice pot of soup going.

Secretangel 06-07-2010 09:46 PM

Mulligatawny soup

Here's my favourite mulligatawny soup recipe:
1) Saute in a little oil 4 cloves garlic, 1 large onion (chopped)
2) Add 2 stalks celery (chopped), 1 tart apple, (peeled/chopped) 1 large carrot, (peeled/chopped), ½ red pepper (chopped), 200 ml chicken stock, 2 (or 1 if less carbs desired) potatoes, (peeled/diced), 5 tomatoes (peeled/chopped), ½ tbsp curry powder (level), 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp allspice, ½ tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp salt, and enuf water to cover veg.
3) Boil till veg is tender.
4) Add 1 chicken breast (boneless) and boil till chicken is cooked
5) Remove chicken and cut/peel into strips
6) When soup is sufficiently cooled, puree.
7) Return chicken strips to soup, heat and enjoy.

Recipe serves 6
It's packed with loads of veggie tastiness :)

almeeker 06-07-2010 11:15 PM

I make soup all the time here, but for me it's more of a technique than a recipe, and generally speaking I make it in the crock pot. Here are a couple of my faves:

Chili
1 pound ground meat (either beef or turkey)
1 large onion peeled and diced
1 large pepper diced
1 quart canned tomatoes (which is about 2 of the 20 oz cans)
1-3 Tbls chili powder (to taste)
1-2 cans beans (light red, dark red or black - chef's choice) drained.

Brown the meat, then dump it into the crock pot, saute onions and peppers in the same pan (you don't need to add any grease or spray - usually) until clear about 5-8 minutes. Then dump everything into the crock pot, give it a stir and walk away, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. For a thicker chili add in 1-2 cans of tomato paste. For a much hotter chili add in 1-3 diced jalapeno peppers.

Chicken Stew
1-2 large chicken breasts
1 large onion
3-4 cups frozen veggies (corn, peas, green beans, carrots, lima beans, potatoes etc etc)
5-6 bullion cubes (either veggie or chicken)
4-6 cups water
1-2 tsp thyme
1-2 tsp sage
salt & pepper to taste.

The chicken can be frozen, grilled, browned, poached, leftover, whatever, it doesn't really matter although I don't know that I would recommend bar-b-qued. Anyway dice the chicken, saute the onions in a tiny bit of olive oil on the stove top until clear (about 5-8 minutes). Then toss everything in the crock pot and walk away, 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Stir every now and then when you think of it. You can also add in noodles during the last 10-15 minutes if you want.

wannabefitgrl 06-08-2010 11:28 AM

I love soups and do enjoy a nice creamy soup on occasion. I lighten up my cream soups by basically making a veggie soup with broth, then mixing in some light or fat free cream. You can let it cook down to thicken, or thicken faster with a little cornstarch and water. I do this with cream of mushroom or broccoli, among others. I love this website: Healthy Recipes and Recipe Calculator From SparkRecipes.com for all kinds of recipies because it includes nutrition info.

Buttoni 09-19-2010 11:43 AM

Here are a few I like to make: Soups Buttoni's Blog

Angelstation 09-21-2010 01:37 PM

[deleted]

brandismom1990 09-24-2010 03:06 AM

I use "Myrecipes.com" a LOT and have several soup recipes from them I turn too. If you search them they are:

Beef and Bok Choy Hot Pot (so good. I use extra beef broth to give it more richness and less water. And I serve with brown rice instead of noodles -- makes it easier to eat with the bok choy. If you do that, you have to re-enter the recipe in fitday and make it a custom food because the nutrition info they give includes noodles)

Mexican Chicken and Chayote -- I make this exactly to the recipe except I cut the chick breast into bite size pieces. My Southern Father who likes very traditional Southern Cooking SUCKS THIS DOWN LIKE NOTHING I'VE EVER SEEN.

(NEW) Peasant Stew -- I was looking for slow cooker recipes and found this. I do it a bit differntly. I use chick breasts instead of thighs. I use the spicy Rotel (I like the heat), I add three garlic cloves smashed and I put ALL of it in the slow cooker on low for eight hours (overnight or all day) and the chicken breast shreds and it becomes this gorgeous chicken chili. ALl you have to do is cut the onions, smash the garlic and open cans -- so this is super easy!!!!

Carrot Soup (the cooking light recipe) -- this is special occasion "appetizer" soup I use for dinner parties that NO ONE KNOWS is healthy and low-fat. It is so good I have a hard time not hiding it from everyone else and just eating it myself. Instead of creme fraiche, I use greek yogurt. I put the GY in a bottle and drizzle it across the bowl in swirls before serving and it is SOOOOOOO pretty. THen I sprinkle chopped chives on it. Can't say enough good things about cooking something that feels so gourmet -- and is so easy and healthy!!!

kthyme 09-25-2010 04:30 AM

I do a 21 day de-tox every 4 months where I eat no wheat, no dairy & no sugar - so here's my vegetable soup recipe I LOVE!! And just so you know, I'm a foodie....I love good food and this soup is amazing.

1 med onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 cloves garlics, minced
2 carrots, cut into coins
1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 8 oz pkg, sliced mushrooms
1/2 head of cabbage shredded
1 14 oz can tomatoes
2 - 32 oz boxes of chicken or vegetable stock
2 TBLS dried herbs - like an Italian blend - (oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley)

Saute onion in olive oil over med - high heat in large stock pot, until soft. Add carrot, celery and continue to saute another 2 min. Add cauliflower, tomatoes, stock and dried herbs and cook for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms & cabbage, bring to boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all veggies are tender. (I change the veggies to meet the season as I'm a local organic produce supporter - so feel free to add in broccoli, zucchini, peas, etc). Good luck with your diet!

For more of my recipes that involve no wheat, dairy or sugar - check out my blog at www.feelbetterlookyoungerstayhealthy.com

a1c0l33n 10-06-2010 08:06 PM

thanks for sharing your soup recipes..
definitely going to try it all.. :)

meganspurr 10-15-2010 06:47 AM

How about any good beefy stew ideas? I don't necessarily have to have beef, but I am craving grandma's thick beef stew with potatos and veggies. It's cold and getting dark early, and I am craving a bowl of thick dark stew goodness - without the bajillion calories to go with it!

almeeker 11-09-2010 05:47 PM

I found this great recipe for cabbage soup Bacon And Cabbage Soup Recipe but I varied it a little :). Instead of Irish bacon I used bacon bits, less than a half of pound of ground beef, added chopped onions and still kept true to the other ingredients. My kids loved it, it was so good! I had tried cabbage soup years ago but this one turned out so good. Looking forward to eating more tomorrow :D.

Looks yummy!!! I wonder if it would work with ham instead of bacon? I have a little ham in the freezer, might be worth a shot eh?

This is similar to the cabbage soup I posted in 100+ but instead of bacon I used chicken. And I didnt add potatoes because of the carb content but added veggies instead :)

Tell me how you lost your weight and how long it took.
This is inspiring. :0)

Bacon and or any meat in Cabbage soup seems odd. I just cooked a cabbage soup recently for the first time from the Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary cookbook. It was delicious.

LOL--I did the "cabbage Soup" diet once--haven't had it since and don't think I ever will again. Cabbage IS good in 'slaw, though. :D Hmm--anyone got a good low cal recipe for that?

Regards,
Michael

If you are going to use bacon bits make sure you get real bacon and crumble it yourself or double-check the ingredients to make sure you're getting real bacon. I heard recently that BacOs are mostly gums, fillers, and soy emulsifiers with a hint of salt and pork 'essence.' So be careful, and as always, read the label.

I love plain cabbage soup. Just boiled in water with pepper and spices.

I also use shredded cabbage as my "pasta" in my stirfry meals.

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC (Post 30634)
I love plain cabbage soup. Just boiled in water with pepper and spices.

I also use shredded cabbage as my "pasta" in my stirfry meals.

that sounds like a great idea...i'll have to try it..

i am also making the soup this sunday- should be interesting!

Alvin2011 09-15-2011 12:25 AM

Soup

Hey...
Guys i am looking for a good soup recipe for dieting... ??
if anyone of you know any so please share with me

VitoVino 09-15-2011 07:19 AM

Soup? You want soup?

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/images/soupnazi.jpg

wildbeanerz 09-15-2011 07:24 AM

No soup for you!

Rubystars 09-15-2011 10:30 AM

It's not that hard just measure/weigh your ingredients, log them into fit day, and then boil them together for a little bit and then eat the soup that day.

You can just combine a lot of vegetables you like and maybe add some chicken.

I like to add onion, beans, carrots, sweet potato, and tomatoes. Chicken broth or diluted V8 is good for a base.

ripemango 09-15-2011 01:56 PM

recipe for soup i had tonight

this recipe is made in my big ole 12 quart pot, so you may need to adjust the amount. I agree with Ruby about boiling the vegetables you have on hand. I make soup a couple times a month and it's always different.

1 24 oz can diced tomatoes
1 regular size can lime cilantro rotel
2 T. olive oil
1 regular size can corn, rinsed
1 regular can le sueur peas, rinsed. frozen peas work too
1/2 cup dry lentils
3 chicken bouillon cubes (if u have chicken, vegetable or beef stock use that instead of water)
4 cups of water, approximately*
3 stalks celery finely diced**
1 large diced white or yellow onion
4 pieces of garlic finely minced (i use a garlic press)
1 lb okra cut into pieces
3 bay leaves
tsp cumin
tsp dried cilantro or fresh cilantro added at end of cooking
1/2 tsp garam masala (omit this if ya dont have any)
salt and pepper to taste to add at end

Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat then add garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Immediately add tomatoes, rotel, lentils, celery, onion, okra, water and spices. Bring to a boil or almost boiling then reduce heat to medium for a 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. 20 minutes before turning off the heat, add the corn. When you turn off the heat, add the peas and remove bay leaves. The soup will be hot enough to thoroughly cook the peas, but not get mushy.

*Add enough water/stock to fill up the pot to be 2/3 to 3/4 full.

**if you like really soft celery put in a separate small pot water and celery. Have it on a high boil for 30 mins. then add the water and celery to the pot of soup.

This soup freezes well.

Kathy13118 09-16-2011 03:06 AM

When you add beans to a soup, it adds calories (more than the less calorie dense vegetables - like zucchini, for example) but it makes the soup more filling. That's what makes chili such a satisfying meal. Making your own soup, you control the calories because you control the ingredients.

nottango 09-17-2011 03:29 AM

Butternut Squash Soup

Just discovered this last yr, and love it!
It's really easy to make - the most time-consuming thing is cutting up the squash, but I've been told that now you can purchase it already cut!

Mix 1 large squash, cut up into cubes with 2 sliced onions. Boil them together until well-cooked. Puree, then return to the pan and add curry seasonings and some sour cream - about a cup or so - (I used lowfat and it came out great). Can add some hot pepper if you like, or black pepper and salt. Some people add a touch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, but I prefer to leave them out.

Soup comes out very creamy and delicious!

ripemango 09-17-2011 12:00 PM

nottango

butternuts are really hard to cut into.
i like to split a butternut in half, roast it, then allow it to cool before scooping out its flesh with a spoon to prepare soup. the roasting also adds another flavor dimension to the soup.

Rubystars 09-17-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy13118 (Post 56951)
When you add beans to a soup, it adds calories (more than the less calorie dense vegetables - like zucchini, for example) but it makes the soup more filling. That's what makes chili such a satisfying meal. Making your own soup, you control the calories because you control the ingredients.

Yes you're right. I think green lima beans have less calories than other beans.

nottango 09-18-2011 12:01 AM

ripemango

thanks for the tip! I don't know why I didn't think of it!

fat-andy 10-06-2011 06:57 AM

Have you tried carrot soup? Just cooked and blended carrots with chicken stock, very nice although not sure how healthy chicken stock is.

RunbikeSki 10-06-2011 11:43 AM

chicken stock

In general it is quite health. Prepared stock from the store can have way too much salt, and some processors put other preservatives in it. But if you get "kitchen basics", or one of the better brands, it is quite healthy and a nice beverage/lite meal all by itself.

Askepot 10-06-2011 12:02 PM

Does any of you have experience with spinach soup? Which other vegetables would go with it in a soup and make it taste less, well, spinachy? All recipies I have found use lots of cream and/or sourcream, and I guess that would do the job, but that's not an option for me. I was thinking maybe carrots, any suggestions?

barlana 11-03-2011 07:08 AM

Soup For Cold Winter Days

I made Potato Leek Fennel soup yesterday and it was very filling and tasty. Added a nice side salad and was all set for the evening.
This is for people who don't mind having white potato once in awhile.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
4 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 large white onions, peeled and halved
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
8 cups water
2 cubes vegetable bouillon
Directions
1.In a large saucepan or soup kettle over medium-low heat, place the olive oil, leeks, celery, onions, fennel, potatoes, salt, and pepper, and cook and stir until the onions are translucent and the vegetables have begun to soften, about 10 minutes.
2.Pour 8 cups of water over the vegetables, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and drop in the vegetable bouillon cubes. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve the cubes, until the vegetables are tender and the potatoes have begun to thicken the soup, about 30 minutes.

Nutritional Information

Nutritional Information-Leek and Fennel Soup Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 117
Total Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 763mgTotal Carbs: 21.3g Dietary Fiber: 4.2gProtein: 2.7g

almeeker 11-03-2011 10:08 AM

Sounds delicious!!! I love soup this time of year, well let's face it, I love soup if it's anything less than 70 deg F outside.

barlana 11-03-2011 01:35 PM

PS : I used low salt veggie broth instead of boulion cubes-reduces the sodium :)

Kumochi 11-05-2011 12:44 AM

Thanks It sounds great. I plan on making more soups for the cold weather. Mary

replenish 11-05-2011 01:34 PM

I pulled this out of Men's Health back in the early 90's. It's a goto recipe for this time of year and makes the house smell fantastic! Enjoy...

Liquid Energy

4 Cups chicken broth 1 Cup dried lentils (rinsed)
4-oz. Smoked turkey sausage, cut into discs 1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup chopped canned stewed
1 tablespoon Worcestershire tomatoes (with juice)
1/4 tsp. Oregano 1/4 tsp. Black pepper
1/8 tsp. Ground cumin 1 Cup spinach, chopped
1 carrot & celery, chopped

- Spray pan w/cooking spray. Add the onions, garlic, and sausage. Cook until sausage is browned.

- Stir in broth, lentils, tomatoes, Worcestershire, and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.

- Wash and chop vegetables – carrots, celery, and spinach

- Add vegetables to the pot and turn up the heat. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Let simmer about 20 minutes.

Nutritional Facts

Calories: 271
Carbs: 40 g
Protein: 31 g
Fat: 3 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium: 470 mg
Fiber: 9 g
Vitamin A: 63% of RDA
Folic Acid: 66% of RDA
Iron: 40% of RDA

Aleksy2011 12-07-2011 10:14 PM

Soup

Guys i am looking for a good soup recipe for dieting... ??
if anyone of you know any so please share with me

VitoVino 12-08-2011 09:41 AM

Soup threads have now been merged into one.

volleyballgranny 12-12-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Buttoni (Post 21343)
Here are a few I like to make: Soups Buttoni's Blog

I LOVED this site! Kudos to you! I will be making a couple of these soon...I'll put a picture of the finished product and a link to your site on my facebook group page--Lo-Carb Fat Camp.

chefjori 12-30-2011 12:51 PM

Hi. If you want a thick soup without the calories and fat from dairy....you can puree broccoli, cauliflower, squash, carrots or anything you desire. You can do this in a blender or if you have a stick immersion blender you can puree it right in the pot with some stock. Hope this will give you some ideas!

Buttoni 02-06-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by volleyballgranny (Post 64822)
I LOVED this site! Kudos to you! I will be making a couple of these soon...I'll put a picture of the finished product and a link to your site on my facebook group page--Lo-Carb Fat Camp.

Glad you enjoyed the site VBGranny! I have nearly 500 low-carb recipes there now, so I hope there's something there to fit every low-carber's taste preferences. I sell no products, push no vendors and have recipes and nothing but recipes there. I love to cook and created the site to help those who do NOT want to or are not inclined to spend much time experimenting in the kitchen.

calicafe 05-29-2014 05:52 PM

Why not consider high quality beefy stew tips? I don't always require gound beef, yet I'm craving grandma's thick gound beef stew along with potatos along with veggies. It can be cool along with receiving darkish early on, along with I'm craving any bowl regarding thick darkish stew health benefits -- minus the bajillion calories from fat to look from it!