Notices

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Protein Powder and Smoothies...

I am not much of a breakfast eater so I thought I'd try smoothies as an alternative. I just got a blender for valentines day () and I've been messing around with different ingredients. I'm using a soy protein powder to get my protein in, but I'm having a problem with the consistency. I'm trying to figure out a way to disguise the powder's consistency...I'm not a big yogurt eater, so I've been using a little milk to blend the powder first before adding my fruit, but it's not helping. Any ideas on how I can get my protein without the odd consistency??

Also I was wondering if anyone had any good smoothie recipes they'd like to share. I'm kind of stuck on the same ingredients and would like some options. The one thing I can't stand in my smoothies are bananas, which is causing some road blocks. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

if you want a thicker, milk shake type of consistency that's an easy one. Assuming that you are already using ice and milk, add some cottage cheese in there. I hated cottage cheese but realized that it really doesn't have a flavor, it was the texture that I was hating. I usually use 60g-100g per ~30g of protein powder.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 02-23-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

here's an idea that i use on my daughter who is nine,,, unfortunately she loves coffee !!! but what i do now is make a pot of decaf and put it in the fridge,, i buy the fat free or sugar free flavored creamers and i know there are so many protein powders out there but honestly for the money and for the other reason of hating that it wouldnt dissolve all the way i buy the protein powder from wal-mart, its about 15.00 for the big tub,, vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry,,

in the iced decaf i put a scoop or two of either vanilla or chocolate and mix a little hazelnut creamer and some ice and make a mock iced latte,, if you want it iced then put in the blender so the ice get crushed,, but it has protein and no gritty powder,, i feel better knowing she has a good boost of protein being she is a picky eater too,,

another is i mix a scoop of vanilla or strawberry with the sugar free crystal lite mixes,, ie the orange sunrise with a scoop of vanilla tastes like the orange cream cycle ice cream you would get from the icecream truck,, or the raspberry with some strawberry powder,, this way you are getting your water, no sugar and protein,,, win win all the way around ,, hope these help some,,,
Old 02-24-2011, 04:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hi alyssum, I like a lowfat or fat free vanilla yogurt with some frozen berries and a shot of milk or OJ in the blender. When the weather gets warm, this is my fav. breakfast. I can sip on it with a straw on my way to work. I usually eat oatmeal when I think it is cold - it is generally the only grain I get all day so it's good to have also.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

I use:
6 or 7 ice cudes
1/4 cup of water
one LF light yogurt (i love the black cherry!) - 90 cals
1 banana-100 cals
2 splenda with fiber packets
--------------
around 200 calories.

i've tried adding in the protein too but can not get over the TASTE! It is awful!...any ideas?

and sometimes i will throw in blueberries, or other druit.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

Wink

I place frozen strawberries and frozen blueberries in the blender with the milk, protein powder and gound flax seed.

My favorite is
1/4 c plain Keifer
1/2 c skim milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 Tbs ground flax seed
4 frozen strawberries
about 1/2-1 cup frozen blueberries

Blend
This makes a smoothie that is almost like blueberry ice cream.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Is the protein powder really that bad? I admit, I've had some that I like less than others, but I'd encourage you to try other brands until you find one that you do like. I admit sometimes my powder isn't as dissolved into my shake, but I guess a little grit doesn't bother me!

I second the mixing of crystal light packets to boost flavor (and I do make the orange creamsicley one, soo good!). ditto on the mocha protein shakes (1 cup prepared coffee-cold, one cup milk, one scoop chocolate protein powder, add ice to thicken and I get a great mocha shake for breakfast).

Oh, and maybe try a tablespoon of peanut butter in your smoothies? I happen to like frozen sliced bananas, PB, milk, and chocolate protein powder. The frozen fruit adds thickness and it's literally like having a milkshake for breakfast. I saw you don't like banana, but maybe other fruits you do like with peanut butter instead?

I know you could find all kinds of shake websites out there too if you do a little research.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

The soy protein powder is gritty, generally I mix it with frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries or frozen watermelon and don't blend it too much, the chunky part helps disguise the grit. Have you tried it with mango or peaches? Mango makes a dynamite smoothie, it's good fresh or frozen and you can add in other things like pineapple or cherries. Peaches are good too and I throw in everything but the pit. I find that the soy protein mixes a little better with soy or almond milk than it mixes with cow's milk.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
FitDay Member

LOVE Protein Powder... Mine typically come from costco (EAS/Muscle Milk) but another I like is Optimum Nutrition. Unfortunately my taste has gotten pretty basic, so it's water/protein/ground flax. I USED to use that 'magic bullet' and those make fantastic single serving smoothies. Take 1 scoop powder, 1/2 water, 1/2 fat free milk, some frozen Trader Joes Berries, and one fresh fruit (of your choice)... bam - amazing morning shake. PB sounds amazing too - Have you tried the PB from Whole Foods (where they make it in that machine near the bulk ingredients?) - Wow - it's like candy; but that's a lil OT. Sorry I'm hungry right now... haha
Old 03-14-2011, 09:55 AM
FitDay Member

Try using Whey protien powder.
90 calories a scoop
17g of protien
1.5g fat = 0 trans 0 saturated
cholesterol 45mg
potassium 130mg
carbohydrates 2g
fiber 0
sugars 2
calcium 10%DV
iron 2%DV
phospherus 8%DV
magnesium 6%DV
zinc 2% DV

Ingredients - Undenatured, microfiltered whey protein concentrate and isolate, natural french vanilla flavour, guar gum, stevia leaf powder, bromelain, enzyme powder (protease, papain, lipase)

Contains no artificial preservatives, colour or sweetener, no starch or yeast.

Also there is a list called "amino acid profile" of 18 aminos? Sounds good
Product name = Whey factors
Brand = Natural factors

Copied info right from the jar. taste like vanilla
I use this, and my absolute favourite protien smoothie is made with 1 scoop whey powder, 1 banana, 1 spoonful of peanut butter, 1 cup of milk.But high calorie. I also heard that acai juice is amazing in smoothies.
so yummeeeee

Either way this whey protein powder blend very well into the drink, you can't tell you used powder in it. Also Soy proteins are a little iffy :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.