Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes >

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Community
Notices

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 PM
FitDay Member

Just thought I'd throw this out there, for anyone avoiding whey for allergy or other reasons, a good-quality egg protein powder is just as good. Of plant-based proteins soy is probably the most complete in terms of amino acid profile, but for men I'd much prefer rice protein (soy has compounds that can mess with our hormones).
Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

what kind of protein powder do you like best? Could you give me the brand you use, and the flavor? Its really kind of expensive and I guess I don't want to buy something without talking to someone first!

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

this is very inspiring! Good for you!
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 AM
FitDay Member

Everyone has their favored brand and flavor. Mine's Muscle Milk, flavor chocolate caramel pecan. Mix a scoop into a glass of milk and it tastes AMAZING. It's also fortified with vitamins and minerals and is relatively low carb as well. I grab a tub on elitefts.com every time it goes on sale, where they sell it at $22 for a 2.5 lb tub. That's the cheapest I've seen it.

Otherwise I'll grab a 1 lb tin of vanilla whey at Trader Joe's for about $12.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tandoorichicken
Just thought I'd throw this out there, for anyone avoiding whey for allergy or other reasons, a good-quality egg protein powder is just as good. Of plant-based proteins soy is probably the most complete in terms of amino acid profile, but for men I'd much prefer rice protein (soy has compounds that can mess with our hormones).
I think I've said this somewhere before but... I'm lactose intolerant. However, if you use a pure whey protein isolate you should be fine. The brand I use is Optimum Nutrition. You want to avoid the whey protein concentrate and casein protein.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Muscle milk... I think I have heard of that before. Thanks for the info! I will definitely try that. I wish we had a trader joe's where I live... they say one will open soon .
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

Wink Protein drinks

Hey all just joined and look forward to the obvious help of charting and tracking and finding folks working hard.

I use a product called Profect no I do not sell it.
It has 25 gm of Protein and 0 carbs and fat. Some added vitimens but not all you need in one shot.It is 2.9 oz and comes mixed in a plastic large test tube looking thing.
I recycle the plastic
I use it for the simple reason it is fast...for work and such. Dont have to drag a mixer or and blender blade. Tasted ok but none of the protein drinks tasted great to me. I also use it for the simple reason my stomach does not 'hurt' when i drink it. Like so many other fine products. Tried them all, whey, no whey, rice, bla bla i had so many tubs of drink mix to give away! I had a gastric bypass and though the surgery changed my life for the good some not so good tagged along. Big changes in what my tummy can tolerate. So this is what i do i occais use Unjury and find it a good product but the ease of use has grabbed me with 'P'. I drink two a day and supplement with veggies and cheese very small amounts of fruit due to stomach pain. Would i do my GB surgery again---i would be at OR in the am tomorrow. No it did not 'fix' cure everything but it gave me back my life. Thanks for listening. dj
Old 01-01-2011, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

I too am looking for a good tasting protein powder that can be mixed with water. I cannot have milk, yogurt or berries? Any suggestions?
Old 01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elizabethhale
what kind of protein powder do you like best? Could you give me the brand you use, and the flavor? Its really kind of expensive and I guess I don't want to buy something without talking to someone first!

Thanks!
I just bought Nu-Tek Pro MRP in Vanilla. It cost me 45.00 for 32 servings- which you can also cut in half if you just want a small meal/snack. Since one serving (which is 2 scoops of powder) is 42 grams of protein. I will toss in some fruit, like strawberries, blueberries or a bananna. I used to be a fan of EAS Myoplex Light. But since Bill Phillips sold the company, I don't think the quality is the same.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Protein Shake

I'm not a weight trainer...but I need at least 65 grams of protein every day because of a 'condition'. Most protein powders taste like crap and unless you are a professional athlete or body builder, you can't absorb more than about 35 grams at one time anyway. I have been doing this protein shake by itself for years , and recently found something I love to add and the end result rivals any drink at 'Starbucks' AND has about 25 grams of protein per serving at 160 or so calories. And it's fairly inexpensive. I found a wonderful expresso protein powder called CLICK. Google it. I order it online. I get the chocolate EAS ready made protein shakes at Walmart (alone they taste icky). I put it one in my little personal blender (Elite at Big Lots for $19.95), add a squirt of sugar free Hershey's chocolate syrup, one scoop of Click Expresso...blend a bit, then add crushed ice and blend till smooth. I love this shake. After 8 years of trying them all, this one is the best.

Oh, and that little Elite blender at Big Lots....it's just like the Magic Bullet blender, which I bought, and which wore out in NO time. This little blender goes and goes. I'm going to get a couple more to store and keep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.