Notices

Homemade seitan

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default Homemade seitan

I used this recipe to make homemade seitan:
Homemade Seitan Recipe | Vegetarian Times

Definitely not for the gluten-intolerant!
However, I'm OK with gluten so I tried it.
I was liberal with the nutritional yeast (I buy at Whole Foods, from their bins) and with the garlic powder. I used a little bit of onion powder and some soy sauce I like (which is not low-sodium). I used homemade mushroom broth (from cooking mushrooms) and added in vegetable broth when I didn't have enough liquid.

Made the stuff - it is tough to knead, like kneading a big rubber ball. EXACTLY like rubber. Then I flattened out some small pieces and blotted them dry, weighted them down to get any excess moisture out, and refrigerated the seitan 'slices.'

Tonight, I cut up some seitan from the slices, using kitchen shears, and fried them in olive oil. Then I added some leftover bean soup to the browned seitan and heated it all up. The seitan really does have a meat-like texture! It does not taste like beef, but now that I think of it, I could add beef bouillon powder to it along with the other spices and it probably would.