FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What veggies do you eat? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/1111-what-veggies-do-you-eat.html)

stamatiaa 05-25-2010 04:54 AM

Yea. But I don't think you want to forage them from any chemically treated property :eek:

You can buy them at many markets. The ones with the red stems always seem to be more tender than the ones with the white stems. From what I know, the commercially grown ones are harvested before the flowers appear - that's when they're less bitter.

Trim off the stems; boil them with plenty of water until fully cooked (tender); drain; and season with oil and vinegar. Enjoy!

sw07 05-25-2010 05:18 AM

Here's a list of veggies that I'm usually working with.
I'll usually grill my veggies except for few (artichoke, broccoli for example)
or I'll eat them raw in a salad.
I was going to list avocado, but technically that's a fruit, but I'll go through 4-6 avos weekly-ya I know that's a lot, but it's 'good' fat.

Veggies:
Artichoke
Asparagus
Broccoli
Bell Pepper, Red
Bell Pepper, Green
Bell Pepper, Yellow
Carrots, Baby
Cilantro
Corn,Yellow-on cob
Corn,White-on cob
Cucumbers
Green Beans
Mushrooms
Mushrooms, Portabella
Onion, Red
Onion, Green
Pepper, Anaheim
Pepper, Jalapeno
Potato, Red
Red Leaf Lettuce
Spinach-Large leaf
Spinach-Baby leaf
Summer Squash/Zucchini
Tomato, Roma

elderwanda 06-05-2010 02:17 PM

I eat zucchini, broccoli, carrots, and onion. Not much else, really. Tomatoes, if you want to classify them as veg.

I don't think there are any veggies I can eat raw--unless I want to spend the rest of the day uncomfortably bloated and, er, embarrassed. If you get my drift. Same with beans. My vegetarian days are over.

I know they have this stuff called Bean-o, which I used to take, but it turns out it's got gluten in it, and gluten gives me neurological problems. So, the only veggies I eat are cooked, usually stir-fried in olive oil. Or, in the case of carrots, roasted.

Honestly, I eat veggies in phases. I'll have a lot of vegetables in my diet for a week or so, and then I'm just sick of all the chopping and cooking, not to mention the fact that it's hard to find veggies that look good in the store, so I go for a while without.

Lizzycritter 06-06-2010 12:49 AM

I hear ya on the "embarassed" issue...peppers will do that to me every time, cooked or not. Beano was no help at all. I find if I stick to eating 3 servings of veggies a day I'm fine, but if I don't eat veggies for a little while and then eat something like raw carrots and celery with dip.... just call me Chicago because it's windy city time :o

NedoCTB 06-06-2010 06:20 AM

Ill eat practically any vege besides parsnips and I try to eat as much raw veggies as possible. If you eat vegetables raw try not to drink too much water... I only get bloated if I drink water with raw vegetables. Vegetables have enough water in them as it is, why add more?

rpmcduff 06-14-2010 07:39 AM

Parsnips

Originally Posted by NedoCTB (Post 12754)
Ill eat practically any vege besides parsnips and I try to eat as much raw veggies as possible.

Parsnips are one of my favorite vegetables. They are a challenge if you don't know how to cook them. Peel then slice. Par-boil till they begin to become tender. Drain and then sautee them in a small amount of Extra-virgin olive oil till they start to brown. Nothing else has their taste and texture.