FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Juicing / Juicers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/10632-juicing-juicers.html)

Prospect84 02-03-2014 03:49 AM

Juicing / Juicers

I guess food talk is the right forum for this topic, at least I hope so!

I'm very strongly considering investing in a Juicer. I enjoy fruits as snacks, I eat vegetables with my meals, and I'm not a "picky" eater. I make sure I drink at least a gallon of water per day, spread out throughout the day from the time I wake up to late evening. Sometimes though, I want to add some flavor to my diet! I do enjoy things like Lemon in my water, but a juicer just sounds it like would be a wonderful way to enjoy some fresh mixed juice.

So to make a long story short, I'm looking for people to share some experiences they have with Juicers. Maybe brands/types you have or have not liked? I've been researching user reviews on a lot of them, but those are sometimes done by people who are paid to write good reviews on them, so I don't want to take them as holy if you know what I mean~

I know that you get what you pay for, and I'm probably what you would call "middle of the road" I'm not expecting to get a great product for 40$ because lets face it, any machine driven by an electric motor that can demolish whole apples is not going to have quality parts at that price. However I'd rather not spend 300$ for one that is "industrial" grade. I'm looking at a budget of around 100-150$ so anyone with any suggestions in that price range, please share your experiences and suggestions!

Thanks in advance! :)

Kathy13118 02-03-2014 04:04 AM

I got very lazy with my juicer and tired of getting rid of the pulp left over after juicing. I think now I have some better ideas about what to do with that, so I may pull the juicer out of the back of the cabinet.

I just throw everything in a food processor and grind it up as fine as possible since I want to have the fiber anyway. A really nice fresh smooth juice is tastier, though, and very refreshing!

One thing you might try if you don't get much response here about juicers is the reviews that people put on amazon.com of all the juicers they sell there online. Some items have hundreds and hundreds of reviews. When I bought a coffeemaker, I sifted through reviews there and it took hours. What I ended up buying was just what I wanted, and now I know how many coffeemakers there are out there that erupt and spray coffee all over your kitchen (a few).

aimeet_1 02-17-2014 11:36 AM

I have an Omega Fruit&Vegetable juicer. It was a Christmas present to myself and family 2 xmases ago. I use it periodically-- now about 1-2 x per month. When I first got it, I was juicing 1-2 x per week, but I still try to get 1 or 2 in per month.

I have some favorite recipes I use. The morning one is sweeter than the evening one. You can substitute other things and try different recipes, but this are a couple I keep coming back to.
a.m.
3 apples
2 carrots
1 large beet

p.m.
5 kale leaves
1 lg handfull spinach
1 orange (cut off peel)
1 tangelo (cut off peel--can sub another orange)
1 small lime (cut off peel)
1 thumb size pc ginger
2 lg carrots
3 apples
1 sm handful parseley
2 celery stalks
3 cups H20

Addison390 02-20-2014 10:09 PM

Wow this is sounding amazing mate basically its about all those things which are the need of our body.
For a fact it has a great value so should be bothered.

Intouchemr physical therapy emr

KimmyRocks 02-22-2014 12:35 AM

love my juicer

In December I began researching and considering purchasing a juicer. In January, I settled on the Cuisinart CJE 1000 which I think I posted on another thread, so if anyone decides I'm paid to say nice things about it - nope. (I wish!) I'm just really happy with it.

The price on amazon was the best found and I wrote a review for them. (I'm a single, working mom and I don't part with my money easily.) You get great features for the money and it is within your price range. It's a nice design that I don't mind having it on my kitchen counter even when not in use - which I think is important! If you stow it away, I think you tend to use it less.

Since taking it out of the box, I juice several times per week. Mostly veggies - every night I prepare a big bowl of different veggies and herbs that I if truth were told - I would NOT eat that often. I look forward to it and miss it on days when I can't juice. I feel great, I know I'm doing something really good for me AND I'm down 15 lbs in 6 weeks.

Did I mention that I'm really happy with it?

KimmyRocks 02-22-2014 01:06 AM

yummy green and very veggie

Yummy Green:
1 large granny smith apples (cored and quartered)
a 1-2" peice of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
3-4 stalks/leaves of kale (rinsed)
several handfuls of baby spinach (rinsed)
1 handful of parsley (rinsed)
1 green bell pepper
half a lime (peeled)
1 large seedless cucumber (sliced lengthwise and cut in thirds to fit in the chute)
2-3 stalks of celery
(I've tried cilantro, but found it takes over the flavors - but if you like it, go for it!)

This makes between 20 and 36 ounces of juice, so either enough to share with a mate - or to store half in closed jar in the fridge for tomorrow.

Very Veggie:
1 granny smith apple (cored and sliced)
4-5 organic carrots (more or less, depending on size)
2 small tomatoes (cut in halves - seems to juice quicker that way)
1 seedless cucumber (sliced lengthwise and cut in thirds)
small bunches of whatever herbs you like (basil, mint, parsley)
1 handful of kale or red chard (rinsed)
1 organic beet (scrubbed, rinsed and quartered - greens and all)
fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
half a lemon or lime (peeled)
3-4 organic radishes (scrubbed and rinsed - greens and all)
2-3 stalks celery (leave the leaves on)

Makes a LOT of juice - more than enough to share or to have the next day. I get everything washed, cut and ready in a large collander so it's ready to all juice at once. The pulp goes into my compost bin - so I don't worry about 'waste'. Also, you could use it in veggie broth or soup base.

Cheers!

Kathy13118 02-22-2014 01:18 AM

Yummm!

topspally 02-22-2014 06:37 AM

I have a Champion and LOVE it. I have been using it once a week for seven years. The thing to be careful about is if you want to do wheat grass, kale, or what ever floppy food, you need to make sure the juicer you want can handle it. I got a less expensive model because I do not juice anything floppy that would wind up around the expresser parts. The stuff I read said to drink juice 15 minutes or more before food so the nutrients get all sucked up before adding other food to your stomach. I do that and it makes me feel great. If you add fruits remember to count the calories and carbs carefully, it is easy to just not count that in your dailies because "it is healthy juice" it is healthy, but not calorie free. I juice vegetables and beets to keep the calories down. I add one lemon and one apple per batch to cut any bitterness but add the lowest calories. Some people add salt to boost the already out of this world flavor. Oh, my advice is to start out slow, maybe one cup per day for a while to let you body get used to it. Fresh juice can be a bit of a flush to your system if you know what I mean. My doctor told me to drink on it for three days and then freeze it and take it out as I go. Meaning fresh juice loses its nutrients after three days. I follow that guideline.
I compost the tailings. Some people have friends with chickens they give that stuff to.