Notices

Cabbage recipe ideas

Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Cabbage recipe ideas

I'm making my favorite cabbage soup and was thinking of trying something new with cabbage, unfortunately to my dismay the recipes online are almost all extremely high calorie and I can make a giant pot of cabbage soup where the whole pot is only 500 calories to eat! Any low calorie cabbage recipes would be greatly appreciated, no grains, no salt, no margarine but butter or coconut oil or olive oil is ok, no noodles rice ect, no pork or chicken or fish because of how polluted those meats are right now, everything going else is fine. I'm really looking for vegetarian or vegan meals I'm good with meat too though. I want a natural low calorie meal with no processed foods, if it isn't in my hand in its natural state I generally won't use it with the exception of organic butter organic creams organic milk organic herbs and spices and a couple other cooking ingredients.

Anyway, my soup recipe is this.
Boil water in a large pot
Half a large head or cabbage
3 large carrots
Cup of chopped onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 cup cauliflower
2 cups of zucchini
1 cup summer squash
Handful of cilantro
2-4 california chillies depending if you like it really spicy like me
Half amedium sized bell pepper green
Paprika to taste
Salt to taste I usually don't add much or any at all
Black freshly ground pepper
Cumin to taste
Corriander to taste

You can add and change things to make a huge difference in flavor but this is my usual way to prepare this soup and it's extremely low calorie, delicious and filling and full of nutrition you need. This soup always gets me pumped up for a workout, I think it's the California Chilli though
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I love a good homemade veggie soup but it really doesn't fill me up for long unless it's a thick creamy tomato based soup.

Try all of your ingredients in a huge non stick pan on high heat. I use some of the same veggies but add cooked egg whites, crushed red, white, black pepper, cumin (I love cumin and put it in almost everything) and Thai spices. I normally add green beans to mine. I give it an occasional shot of olive oil spray while constantly tossing it.

You can also grill all of it in a grill pan that has tiny holes so the stuff doesn't fall through.

I live a low carb lifestyle but love fried rice so I will sometimes add a small amount of rice (a cooked cup) for the whole pan and I can eat as much as I want without blowing my calories or macros that day. It does not taste like "diet food" at all. It's really just a healthier way of eating and it actually taste better than any takeout IMO.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

If you're looking for good vegetarian soup recipes you should check out "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup" by Paulette Mitchell is a great cookbook! Another good one is "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker" by Robin Robertson. I've added the links to amazon so you can read the reviews. You may even be able to find them in your local library.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

I just tried roasted cabbage in the oven the other night and it was very yummy! Just slice it about 1/2 inch thick into steaks sort of, drizzle with olive oil or butter, whatever you prefer, and season with salt, pepper and garlic..It was fantastic roasted until brown and the outside was crispy and inside soft!
I also am trying the Colcannon recipe here this week, that is made with cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. It has bacon but you could always omit that for the vegetarian version...
COLCANNON - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM
FitDay Member

i think it is so yummy. i will try this. it will definitely help me to lose weight.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Turmeric gives a lot of flavor and a nice yellow color to vegetable soups. Miso paste also works as a great soup base, miso has fat but you don't need to use very much.

I like to buy turmeric and other spices at Indian markets. I use the dried ground turmeric, but they also have fresh turmeric, which is supposed to be extremely healthy.

Asian supermarkets have a good selection of miso varieties, I've been getting Japanese miso made without bonito (fish flakes), since I don't like to eat anything that comes from our polluted oceans or waterways.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 PM
FitDay Member

Sounds tasty !i will have to try it
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Cabbage and Caraway or Dill Seed

Yummy! My favorite way to prepare cabbage is to chop or shred and fry on low with a small amount of EVOO - the secret ingredient is DILL SEED (or caraway seed). The best!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Steamed or boiled cabbage and onions...add a little butter, salt and pepper and it's a great easy, healthy, cheap dinner. You can add noodles if you want, but it's not necessary. You can also add diced potatoes or carrots...

I know you said no pork, but a friend recommended adding some bacon or bacon bits to it.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

I chop cabbage into 2" cubes. I place it in a roasting pan with oinions and carrots cut to similar size. Brush with olive oil, then sprinkle with celery seed. Cover and roast. Usually 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.