FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Grains, are they bad? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/10533-grains-they-bad.html)

onedayperfection 01-13-2014 05:49 AM

Grains, are they bad?

Since I started my dieting about a month ago I noticed that on days that I ate no grains I felt more relaxed ate less sugars like fruit and worked out harder. I only eat Daves killer bread which is gmo free organic bread and I love it, but about a week and a half ago I cut out all bread completely no noodles no buns no grains at all except organic wild rice and organic brown rice and I've actually noticed a significant improvement on my weight loss and attitude. I've talked to a few people about this and I've heard several times now even from my doctor that all processed grains such as bread and noodles mess with your glycemic index which moderates your blood sugar levels and causes anxiety, obesity , depression, anger issues , weight loss problems , high blood pressure ect ect. I was just trying to to get more input on this from others losing weight and their successes and failures with processed grains.

Kathy13118 01-13-2014 06:17 AM

What works for you works for you!

I'm pretty sure your doctor is trying to steer you in the direction of whole grains when talking about glycemic index. But eating a sandwich with Wonder Bread (for example) is not toxic. It's just not AS loaded with nutrition as the same sandwich made with whole grain bread

There are studies that show good things about eating grains, in particular whole grains. Especially in the Scandinavian countries, where they eat more rye bread, it looks to be very good for your health.

It ends up being kind of controversial just because so many people who are gluten intolerant may not know that they are gluten-intolerant. Gluten intolerance really has to be diagnosed, it's not something to be guessed about. But if you aren't gluten-intolerant, there are lots of good nutrients in whole grains and also lots of fiber.

'your glycemic index which moderates your blood sugar levels and causes anxiety, obesity , depression, anger issues , weight loss problems , high blood pressure ect ect.'
There are all kinds of studies about glycemic index and reasons to pay attention to it. But jeez louise, depression and anxiety and anger issues? Doubtful that food does anything but contribute to those things, not cause them. I mean, even the nutritionally perfect diet will not make you happy or calm or peace-loving!

erinanda78 01-13-2014 08:17 AM

Conventional wisdom still says wheat is okay but i dont' think wheat is essential. You can get the same fiber and nutrients from other foods and if you feel better without it, don't eat it!