Notices

Diet Soda

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Diet Soda

Hello,

I read a lot of articles about diets, sample menus etc, and a lot say not to drink diet soda. I was just wondering what is so bad about diest soda (I drink diet coke)?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 AM
FitDay Member

I drink diet soda too. I think the issue that nutritionists and the like have with diet soda is that the artificial sweeteners can cause you to crave sugar and the sodium can cause you to retain water. Also it's not particularly good for your brain. That's all I can think of. When I do drink a can, I never let myself count it as water. Water has to be water or green tea, and nothing else.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM
FitDay Member

I drink the occasional diet soda (about once a week) because I'd rather not deal with the fructose in regular soda when I want some flavor... the artificial sweeteners used like aspartame and acesulfame-K have some loose associations with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's, but I think as with all things moderation is the key.

Just remember all sodas are acidic and increase risk of osteoporosis, so get your fair share of calcium too.

-Nik
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

I gave up soda 6 yrs ago for the most part. I actually went for 4 years without drinking one! I fell off the wagon and have one on occasion. I know that it makes you hungry, as it stimulates your appetite. Also, the carbonation causes bloating. I have seen a dietician and that is the information that I was given. FYI, Equal sweetner (aspartame) makes me hungry so I stay away from that altogether. Hope this helps!
Lisa
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM
FitDay Member

Artificial sweeteners are not food and the body doesn't know what to do with them. Aspartame has many people on red alert because of health issues with it and some believe where there is smoke there is fire. Splenda was invented by a chemical company who was trying to make a new pesticide! These companies want your money and that is the entire motivation behind their plans. Profit, not health.

Meanwhile, people who care about health have been sounding the warning against consuming artificial sweeteners for a long time. What's their motivation? Obviously it isn't profit.

Who you going to believe? The same people who tell you high fructose corn syrup isn't a problem?

DUMP all sodas and drink water and beverages that have a long history of good health, like tea. Yes I know it is hard. I stopped drinking diet soda three years ago and I haven't missed them. I drink lots of water with lemon now.