Notices

New calories over time chart

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Default New calories over time chart

Am I the only one bothered by the chart now that treats each unreported day as 0 calories instead of ignoring it? I feel like it wouldn't be to difficult to factor those out as just put a data point down where food intake was recorded. Now my chart is a bunch of steep hills, it has made the report very inaccurate, because I ate plenty on those days, I just didn't write it down.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Well, let that be a lesson for you. Record your foods daily. I think it's a good practice.

Look at it like this. You're either serious about tracking or not. By skipping report days, as you suggest, it does the following:

1) Gives phony data. So what good is the data if it's not accurate?
2) Makes a person think they're "serious" about tracking when in fact they are not. Being dedicated and serious is to track DAILY.
3) You're asking for this option to be implemented, encouraging a more unhealthy lifestyle by supporting the of skipping days.
4) You're asking for a programmer to take time to develop this option, just to support #3, which is not a good enough reason.

I think FitDay HAS IT RIGHT.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino

1) Gives phony data. So what good is the data if it's not accurate?
Actually it gives more accurate data. Most people using fitday rarely eat nothing at all for a day. Showing trends is what graphs are for, and the new charts don't give you a trend, they provide less accurate information. The assumption that you ate 4500 calories on the day between a recorded 4000 and a recorded 5000 is more logical than instantly assuming you put absolutely no food in your mouth that day.

2) Makes a person think they're "serious" about tracking when in fact they are not. Being dedicated and serious is to track DAILY.
That's just like... your opinion, man. My opinion is I see fitday as simply a way to record and analyze data to achieve my personal goals. Everybody here has different goals (though sometimes very very similar, but never exactly the same), and fitday is simply about providing information so you have a decent picture to work with to help you understand what you must do to get to your goal.

3) You're asking for this option to be implemented, encouraging a more unhealthy lifestyle by supporting the of skipping days.
But people didn't eat 0 calories on those days either (usually). It looks silly and provides innacurate information. If people don't want to enter the data every day thats their choice, and so is entering the info daily. I don't think it will have a huge impact on the responsibility of some to have a graph that shows a more accurate trend of their eating habits

4) You're asking for a programmer to take time to develop this option, just to support #3, which is not a good enough reason.
I could totally be wrong about this but the effort required to modify the way the chart is displayed would probably not be a massive project.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

LOL. I'm not going to go back and forth with this. If somebody is using the site for tracking, they will use the site daily to record data. Claiming that "Most people using fitday rarely eat nothing at all for a day" is really not worth my time responding to.

You and I obviously have philosophical differences of opinion here. No problem. Do as you like. But I'm telling you straight that FitDay is not going to take the time to "factor in" missing days because it goes against the goal of the product they are trying to deliver. This of course is my opinion, as well as my opinion that if someone is serious about tracking they will record their calories on a daily basis.

Best wishes with your fitness journey!