Notices

How many calorie you burn just to stay alive!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Talking How many calorie you burn just to stay alive!

I am little confuse some site said that my bmr is: 1,130.31 then I multiply my activity factor wich is 1.2 because i don't do much exercice so its come out to 1 356.36 if I want to keep my weight right now but to loose 1 lbs a week i need to reduce by 500 cal a day or exchange with exercise... Some other site gave me a different number... but I guess this is just an estimate...but on this site then I go to find out what exercise burn about 500 cal daily well it estimate by the Harris-benedict Equation that I burn 1,404 cal a day but then it show where I have to add my exercice that I burn 2,293 calories in 24 hrs... is this ok????
Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

If you were comatose, you would consume 1,200 per day.

Any activities that you do will add to that number.

A man consumes 1,500 per day.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Frenchmaid1969
I am little confuse some site said that my bmr is: 1,130.31 then I multiply my activity factor wich is 1.2 because i don't do much exercice so its come out to 1 356.36 if I want to keep my weight right now but to loose 1 lbs a week i need to reduce by 500 cal a day or exchange with exercise... Some other site gave me a different number... but I guess this is just an estimate...but on this site then I go to find out what exercise burn about 500 cal daily well it estimate by the Harris-benedict Equation that I burn 1,404 cal a day but then it show where I have to add my exercice that I burn 2,293 calories in 24 hrs... is this ok????
What "lifestyle" did you choose? And how are you putting in your exercise? A common mistake is to not format your exercise time properly, it must be entered as hours:minutes (for example, if you run for 45 minutes, it must be entered as 00:45, otherwise you'll get a ridiculous number).

Also, many of us add 8 hours of sleep to our daily activities to bring the daily burn estimate down closer to our own "reality".

BMR depends upon many factors, including age, sex, muscle mass, etc. so at best all these calculators are "informed guesses" which you will need to fine tune for yourself. They are more guidelines than rules.

For example, as a 47 y/o male, currently at 213 pounds with a "seated w/some movement" lifestyle my daily burn w/o exercise is around 2500 calories.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
Old 09-14-2011, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
What "lifestyle" did you choose? And how are you putting in your exercise? A common mistake is to not format your exercise time properly, it must be entered as hours:minutes (for example, if you run for 45 minutes, it must be entered as 00:45, otherwise you'll get a ridiculous number).

Also, many of us add 8 hours of sleep to our daily activities to bring the daily burn estimate down closer to our own "reality".

BMR depends upon many factors, including age, sex, muscle mass, etc. so at best all these calculators are "informed guesses" which you will need to fine tune for yourself. They are more guidelines than rules.

For example, as a 47 y/o male, currently at 213 pounds with a "seated w/some movement" lifestyle my daily burn w/o exercise is around 2500 calories.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
Hi Michael, well for the lifestyle I choose (Seated all day) because that actually my job at work! I don't do exercice everyday but I go for walk 2 time at coffee (20 min) and sometime at lunch for 1 hours... so when I log this in the exercicse log I put 1:00 or 60 minutes??

So I need to add every day in the exercice log that I sleep for 8 hours? God I am so lost in this! Sorry! So is this normal that when I go to the exercice log it say that I burn 2,000 calorie sleeping for 24 hrs!

Thanks
Nathalie
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Frenchmaid1969
Hi Michael, well for the lifestyle I choose (Seated all day) because that actually my job at work! I don't do exercice everyday but I go for walk 2 time at coffee (20 min) and sometime at lunch for 1 hours... so when I log this in the exercicse log I put 1:00 or 60 minutes??

So I need to add every day in the exercice log that I sleep for 8 hours? God I am so lost in this! Sorry! So is this normal that when I go to the exercice log it say that I burn 2,000 calorie sleeping for 24 hrs!

Thanks
Nathalie
Nathalie, the time format can be confusing. You must put hours and minutes, so eight hours of sleep would be 8:00. Thirty minutes of exercise would be 0:30.

I'm not sure what's up with the 24 hours of sleep! There is supposed to be eight hours included in your "lifestyle" but adding an "extra" eight hours as an activity seems for many of us to bring the estimated calorie burn closer to reality.

As you may have seen, your "lifestyle" is for 24 hours, which includes an estimate of your basal metabolism (how many calories your body burns doing "nothing") plus an estimate of how many calories you burn at your occupation. As you can see, these are all estimates so you really need to track things for a while and make changes as necessary.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Nathalie, the time format can be confusing. You must put hours and minutes, so eight hours of sleep would be 8:00. Thirty minutes of exercise would be 0:30.

I'm not sure what's up with the 24 hours of sleep! There is supposed to be eight hours included in your "lifestyle" but adding an "extra" eight hours as an activity seems for many of us to bring the estimated calorie burn closer to reality.

As you may have seen, your "lifestyle" is for 24 hours, which includes an estimate of your basal metabolism (how many calories your body burns doing "nothing") plus an estimate of how many calories you burn at your occupation. As you can see, these are all estimates so you really need to track things for a while and make changes as necessary.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael
First off: Wow!

I'm impressed. I've lost 80 pounds on nutrisystem, but the meal portions were very punishing! Hard to stick with.

Now, I'm counting calories and I've been using FitDay to do this (and to monitor my exercise) since Feb 2008.

I have two questions:

1) You say you add 8 hours of sleep every day. Do you have to manually enter this extra sleep every day or is there a place to do this once for all future days. If you have to do this every day, why not just use a custom baseline for your calories? I'm trying to figure out what to do going forward. Fitday says I burn between 3200 and 3300 calories a day (which seems ridiculously high even at my current weight of 254 pounds). I could override the calorie basline and bring it down to around 2400 pounds.

2) Do you know why Fitday doesn't fix the math bug they have in calculating the actual weight loss per week? It was reported back in March 2010 at http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...-per-week.html

Thanks.

Chris
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

I didn't think about the sleeping hours. I only sleep about 5 hours in 24, but I went back and changed that in my activity log for this week. I'm pretty active most of the time, but I changed my lifestyle so that it is more sedentary--just in case. I'll start adding in my activity (like the stationary bike) that I have not been logging. I get tired of logging things...this has been a 30 year thing for me (logging food and activity).

About a month ago, my hypoglycemia degenerated into diabetes and I have to log things again for a while. Well, food gets logged ALL the time, but now I am logging activity again, too.