Hi.  New here.  Need help searching the database >

Hi. New here. Need help searching the database

Community
Notices

Hi. New here. Need help searching the database

Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hi. New here. Need help searching the database

Hi all. I am having some difficulty using the database to find what I thought would be very basic food items. For instance, I had a 1/2 cup of canned black beans, and started a search to input the data. I couldn't find it. The search returned black bean soup, dried black beans, black turtle soup, Cuban style black beans, etc etc, but not just plain old canned black beans.

If I do find something remotely close, the nutrition profile is so far off from the label I can't believe it's what I am looking for.

This has happened with a lot of other very basic foods, and I ended up having to create a 'custom food' using the label. This is very time-consuming.

These things are so basic I am sure I am not searching properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
FitDay Member

I have the same problem when I search the database, so I enter custom foods for almost everything. I only use the database for very basic items (mostly fruits, veggies, eggs, etc). The good news is that once you enter the custom food once, it's there for quick reference forever. I've been using fitday for about 4 years off and on, and I rarely add a custom food anymore. All of my staples are entered, and I know exactly what I'm getting. I don't think you're doing anything wrong with your search... fitday definitely needs to work on it.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

I have the same issue. I kind of regret joining this site instead of similar others that include foods, even with their brand names. So you can find for example the nutritional value of different brands of soy milk. I am not sure if they have other disadvantages though, as I have not tested them. I guess patience and slowly building up the custom foods list is the solution. Good luck
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sarkai90
I have the same problem when I search the database, so I enter custom foods for almost everything. I only use the database for very basic items (mostly fruits, veggies, eggs, etc). The good news is that once you enter the custom food once, it's there for quick reference forever. I've been using fitday for about 4 years off and on, and I rarely add a custom food anymore. All of my staples are entered, and I know exactly what I'm getting. I don't think you're doing anything wrong with your search... fitday definitely needs to work on it.
Hi Sarkai, congratulations on your wonderful progress--losing 16lbs in just about 2 months. That's awesome. Since I have a similar weight and goal as yours, but am not having any luck, I wanted to ask if you are following a special diet, and how many calories you allow daily.

I'm 148lbs., and 5'5" with a goal of 135 by July 28 ---my son's wedding.

Two years ago, I lost 18lbs on FitDay simply by logging food. It came off slowly..about 2lbs/month, but I was so pleased with my progress. I had begun at 160, and reached a low of 142 which I maintained for almost a year..even without FitDay, but slowly the weigh crept back, and now I'm back up to 148. I really want to reach my goal this time, but the weight just isn't moving. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Claire
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the encouragement! The weight came off very slowly the first month, but my body finally got with the program and the progress is more steady now. My best advice is to eat as clean as possible. Processed foods really inhibit fat loss for me, and the more I cut that out, the better I've done. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, steel cut oats, etc. I have changed the way I shop and cook, and it's made my sodium intake drop dramatically too. I do count every calorie most days (I average a few days a month off of fitday), and my ratios are around 40-50% carbs, 25-30% fats, 25-30% proteins. That's where my body seems happiest. I eat anywhere from 1000-1600 calories per day, depending on the day, and if I'm plateauing, I make sure to mix up my total calories, foods I'm eating, increase water intake, etc. I lost the first 12 pounds or so without exercising much, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but I wanted to start changing my habits one thing at a time. Now I'm working out a few days a week. Nothing crazy... just half an hour or so of getting my HR up on the elliptical, some light weight training, and lots of core exercise.

I hope that's helpful, and good luck to you! Congratulations on your past weight loss, and be proud of yourself that you've been able to keep off most of what you lost a couple years ago. Your goal of a 13 pound loss is completely realistic and attainable by July 28, and just take it one pound at a time!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for asking this question. I just began using the food journal a couple days ago and was having the same difficulty. I'll use Sarah's advice too and will enter things as custom foods except on the very basic ones. You ladies are doing great...thanks for the tips and inspiration!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Same Issue

Hi,

I'm a new member and was recommended this site by a friend of mine. I seem to not be able to find basic foods that I would think are common. Will there be some sort of mass update to the database?

Last edited by doug4knfpu; 08-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.