Notices

Help with serving sizes!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help with serving sizes!

I came across a site that lets you put in the ingredients of your recipe and it will give you an estimate of the nutrition breakdown. You also put in how many servings are in the recipe. Well, I put it in my FD custom foods and it occured to me that I don't know how much a serving is. When I do a breakdown of a recipe and it gives me the facts "per serving" how do I know how much a serving is? 1 cup? 1/2 a cup? Is there a 'typical' serving size? I'd like to know if I'm eating one serving or two (depending on whether it's a cup or half of a cup). If I'm eating more than I should and don't know it, it could throw off my calories burned/eaten schedule! Help!

BTW this is the site I'm talking about: Calorie Count Recipe Analysis

Last edited by mrstiffanymortimer; 02-16-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

The recipe nutrition calculator I use lets you put in how many servings it makes. That is completely up to you. You can measure it out if you like or just divide it by eyeballing. For example, I make a (lowfat, folks!) chicken pot pie in a 9 X 13 pan and consider it 8 servings. I put the ingredients and the number of servings in and then I know that each time I eat an eighth of it, it's one serving that goes into my food journal. If I eat twice that much, it's 2 servings. If I eat one eighth and then half of another eighth, it's 1.5 servings I enter into FitDay.

If I'm making something like marinara sauce, I measure out how many cups there are (that gives me my number of servings) and then can make a cup or a half cup a serving.

When I create the custom food in FitDay, I usually put the serving size from the recipe in parentheses after the name I give the food, and adjust the number of servings as above when I enter what I actually ate.

It's kind of time consuming and confusing but it's worth it to me to know what I'm eating, especially on the homemade stuff.

Different foods have different typical serving sizes, so it's hard to answer that part of your question. I would imagine that a serving needs to consistently work within your calorie/macronutrient plan to be a good serving size.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 02-16-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

You can do Calorie in vs Calorie out type of calculations or you can do what I do.

I weight my custom food (total); put the entire recipe into a custom food; and when I portion out my food I weigh it then input it into Fitday.

So if you make a recipe that has a total weight of 3600 grams and you eat 200 grams 200/3600 = 0.0555555556 servings
Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
When I create the custom food in FitDay, I usually put the serving size from the recipe in parentheses after the name I give the food, and adjust the number of servings as above when I enter what I actually ate.
Hi CJohnson,

Thanks for this great idea. I was wondering what to do about serving size. I will change my custom food names to include now.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
FitDay Member

Your system makes the most sense to me, given the limitation of FitDay custom food creator. Every custom food you create is by default "1 serving". I'd like to see them allow us to also create the custom serving size and measurement, i.e. 4 ounces, 1 cup, etc. I also indicate the actual measurement in my custom food name.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by grcarol59
Your system makes the most sense to me, given the limitation of FitDay custom food creator. Every custom food you create is by default "1 serving". I'd like to see them allow us to also create the custom serving size and measurement, i.e. 4 ounces, 1 cup, etc. I also indicate the actual measurement in my custom food name.
I totally agree with you, today i wanted to add a certain amount of 8 oz cups of gree tea and all it would give me was 1 serving!!

i need to be able to break it down!

when you select a food already in fitday it allows you to choose what amount you comsumed if it was a beverage and so on!!

come on fitday update this for custom foods so we can do this!1

or can we some how?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Enter the name of your custom food as "Green Tea (8 oz.)." Then just enter that when you drink it; if you drink only 4 oz. at a particular time, enter .5 as your serving size in your daily log.