Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > Forum Feedback and Support > FitDay Classic Feedback and Support
Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) calculation >

Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) calculation

Community
Notices

Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) calculation

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) calculation

Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL) is a relatively simple calculation of the effect individual foods or more typically your daily diet will have on your body's acid-base balance. Here is a website that gives a good description of why it is an important number, and here is the equation.

Protein and phosphorus pull the blood pH down to the acidic side, and calcium, magnesium, and potassium move the blood's pH level toward a basic (alkaline) value. All the data required for the calculation is already logged by FitDay, so the addition would be a minor change, yet would add great value and possibly attract new users who follow an alkaline diet. While the Wikipedia entry presents a skeptical viewpoint only there is abundant pier-reviewed, published research linking low pH to disease, and drugs to modify pH.

Having recently fallen ill due to acidosis I've come to realize how many years I've spent abusing my body through lack of awareness of the acid-base balance, all the while believing I was healthy - until the bill for past excesses came due. Although few FitDay users may be aware of the value of maintaining a relatively neutral acid-base load, all are interested in their health or would not be members, and so may grow to value the additional information. PRAL may help them view their eating habits in a new light.

-

Thank you for FitDay. It has been a big help in losing weight and monitoring my health! I'm not a paying member due to being unemployed, and greatly appreciate the free version.