Notices

Request: Net Carbohydrates in FitDay 2.0

Old 08-29-2011, 01:06 PM
FitDay Member

Default Request: Net Carbohydrates in FitDay 2.0

There have been many people who mentioned on Classic FitDay that they would like to have net carbohydrates displayed in the pie chart--i.e. total carbohydrates less fiber=net carbohydrates (because fiber is a carbohydrate that very minimally impacts blood sugar).

Net carbohydrates (calling it net carbs is just fine) would be so helpful to many who must monitor their net carbohydrates for blood sugar management.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

I totally agree.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

+1 Net carbs would be really nice for many of us. I can tell you that the lack of this feature sent many, MANY Atkins Community Forums members over to fatsecret.com for all their food-logging needs. One gets tired of having to do all that in their heads, again and again.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
IBswilson

Net Carbohydrates is another topic that we have discussed several times in our review of how we could improve FitDay. In order to provide our users with the most accurate information possible, we have intentionally chosen not to do this calculation.

Unfortunately, Net Carbohydrates has no official definition or endorsement from the FDA. We have spoken to several dietitians about how to calculate this number and received varying answers from all of them.

I'm sure we will revisit this topic in the future but it is not on our to-do list at this time.

Last edited by IBswilson; 08-17-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Scott, I think 99% of the people would be happy with net being total carbs minus fiber. I know you can't you please them all but IMO this calculation would please more people than no calculation at all.

Also, couldn't it be something like:

*Net Carbohydrates = xxx.xx

*Net Carbohydrates has no official definition or endorsement from the FDA.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 09-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Would it be overly complicated on the programming side to give the user an option to click a - button to subtract out what ever they'd like such as fiber, sugar alcohols from carbs or unsaturated fats from fats? Could this be done under "Custom Nutrition Goals"?

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 09-13-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

I agree, as long as the net carbs only applies to natural foods in their natural state. So bread won't count, and neither will apple juice, but the raw apple would. As much as people want to believe that foods with after-the-fact fiber (fiber-enriched) have some sort of impact on blood glucose, studies are showing otherwise. Why do you think those delicious looking chocolatey Aktins bars fail? lol

So I guess I agree more with the Mustang guy on the programming bit (btw LS1 > *)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Net carbs

Net Carbohydrates is another topic that we have discussed several times in our review of how we could improve FitDay. In order to provide our users with the most accurate information possible, we have intentionally chosen not to do this calculation.

I certainly understand this position on the one hand, but on the other, couldn't just adding the fiber count to the default food macronutrient page allow folks who are using this metric the ability to easily do this calculation on their own? I know this is what I currently do using the classic interface as fiber is listed right below carbohydrates.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM
FitDay Member

The Fitday beta has removed ANY reference to Fiber in the Totals. I feel that is a terrible decision or oversight.

Whether they choose to include some sort of net carb count or calculation, the program loses functionality when a key nutrient count is removed from the totals.

Fiber is included in all nutrition labels, why fitday would not include it in the new beta form is beyond me.

Most of the changes I see to Fitday beta have been additions, additional measures, additional references on graphs, things that make counting the nutrients of our choice easier. I do hope this is just an oversight and someone will program in the fiber content line, or I will have to use the Old Fitday to get the information I need. or I will have to choose another program and recommend that my friends do the same.

More information is BETTER, Bring Back the Fiber Count!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 PM
FitDay Member

New user here so far I love the site and have referred several people.

I also a have chosen to go low carb for many reasons that make this lifestyle a better fit for me. I find it a pain to have to create a custom food for everything to track net carbs. It looks to me to be a terrible management decision to ignore the 20% of the population who have chosen the low carb lifestyle. If fiber is removed from the totals I will surely leave, and if I find a site that gives a net carb total I may leave if it makes tracking easier.

If management is one of the anti low carb crowd you can put a up disclaimer but don't make a poor choice that will affect the bottom line and miss out on a large part of the market share. IMHO Ignoring 20% of your target market is just plain stupid.Economics 101

Last edited by jaydee1445; 11-10-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.