Community
Notices

Request: Net Carbohydrates in FitDay 2.0

Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by metqabutane
The Fitday beta has removed ANY reference to Fiber in the Totals. I feel that is a terrible decision or oversight.

Whether they choose to include some sort of net carb count or calculation, the program loses functionality when a key nutrient count is removed from the totals.

Fiber is included in all nutrition labels, why fitday would not include it in the new beta form is beyond me.

Most of the changes I see to Fitday beta have been additions, additional measures, additional references on graphs, things that make counting the nutrients of our choice easier. I do hope this is just an oversight and someone will program in the fiber content line, or I will have to use the Old Fitday to get the information I need. or I will have to choose another program and recommend that my friends do the same.

More information is BETTER, Bring Back the Fiber Count!
You can select fiber in the new FitDay by going to the Food tab, select the tab that says Custom Nutrition Goals, and choose fiber. It's there, but I agree with you...I want it right on the front with the pie chart and I don't want to have to click through a couple things to get it!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Buttoni
+1 Net carbs would be really nice for many of us. I can tell you that the lack of this feature sent many, MANY Atkins Community Forums members over to fatsecret.com for all their food-logging needs. One gets tired of having to do all that in their heads, again and again.
Thank you so much for this post!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-31-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: removed site reference per terms of use
Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

'Net carbs' are invented - I've read that Dr. Eades invented the term but I've also read that it is a marketing tool devised to sell low-carb products.

What Are Net Carbs? | Diabetes Forecast Magazine
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
'Net carbs' are invented - I've read that Dr. Eades invented the term but I've also read that it is a marketing tool devised to sell low-carb products.

What Are Net Carbs? | Diabetes Forecast Magazine
While I agree that the manufacturers of low-carb products are using 'net carbs' as a marketing tool (even tho they don't seem to have any affect on my blood sugar, I don't believe for a minute that the sugar alcohols don't count LOL), the fact is that since fibre is indigestible it doesn't count. Therefore, deducting the fibre from the total carbohydrate count gives you the 'net carb' count. For those of us who choose a low-carb WOE to regulate blood sugar, this calculation is very important.

I don't mind having to go to the calorie breakdown chart and subtracting the fibre from the total carb count, in fact I think it makes me more conscious of how many usable carbs I have ingested by having to do the calculation, but please please do not remove the fibre count or I will have to go to another site as this information is very important to me.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBswilson
Net Carbohydrates is another topic that we have discussed several times in our review of how we could improve FitDay. In order to provide our users with the most accurate information possible, we have intentionally chosen not to do this calculation.

Unfortunately, Net Carbohydrates has no official definition or endorsement from the FDA. We have spoken to several dietitians about how to calculate this number and received varying answers from all of them.

I'm sure we will revisit this topic in the future but it is not on our to-do list at this time.
I appreciate fitday but will no longer use it since it does not help me net carbs. I understand the issues around defining that, but it is such a simple thing for the day's nutrition to include the grams of fiber for the day. I could do the math in my head by taking the percentage of the RDA shown in the graph format and subtracting it from total carbs, but I will simply leave instead. The program does not adequately meet the needs of those who are on low carb diets. That is a critical issue for me. I appreciate all the work on the program and the site, but it does not meet my needs.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by IBswilson
Net Carbohydrates is another topic that we have discussed several times in our review of how we could improve FitDay. In order to provide our users with the most accurate information possible, we have intentionally chosen not to do this calculation.

Unfortunately, Net Carbohydrates has no official definition or endorsement from the FDA. We have spoken to several dietitians about how to calculate this number and received varying answers from all of them.

I'm sure we will revisit this topic in the future but it is not on our to-do list at this time.
Please don't change the carohydrates. I like seeing my all day total. This is working for me and I do print and share my charts with my dietitian.